• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

6wk check in

cook5030

I hope everyone is having a wonderful week. Today I am 6weeks post op. Had my 6wk ck up on Tuesday. I am down a total of 37 pounds since 2 weeks preop. feeling pretty good. Still trying to get the bowels on track. I am still having a hard time getting all of the water in. I am getting 2 protein shakes a day-per Dr request and 3 meals a day. All of my vitamins, 3-4 oz of oj with iron. Only getting about 40 oz of water...maybe. Any suggestions? Still nervous about trying new foods. Anyone else at 6 weeks out? What are you eating?

I am 8 weeks out. I can't get all the liquid in either. I can only eat about 400 calories a day. that's at the MOST. I count my calories religously!!! I weight and measure everything. I don't want to take anything by chance. I've lost 60 pounds so far. But its slowing down. I can only eat fat free cheese and "lite" rye crisp crackers. Cheese sticks too. any small amount of eggs, meat, fowl or fish make me ill. I do eat about 2 oz chicken, but then I have to take tums after. My bowels still are messed up, but MOM works great. My doc is pleased with everything. I just started to be able to keep my vitamins down last week. I live on tums, prilosec and zantac. lol. I can also eat soup broth, but sometimes that upsets me too. But from where I was in the first few weeks after surgery, I am happy. I don't want to be able to eat this soon, b/c then what will happen down the road as I heal? You know what I mean? Slow is better, you'll lose more weight. I'm exercising at least 30 minutes a day. I started the treadmill day 3 after surgery. Doc said that was great. Oh I can also eat Fat Free hot dogs with out getting sick. lol
Good luck to you. i hope this helped.

Hi cook,

Thanks for checking in. Nice to hear from you. Are you counting your shakes in your liquid intake (they count you know)? It soundsl like you are doing great. The bowel problems are manageable but can be so inconvenient. Good luck as you continue on this journey.

Melissa Traylor CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR GREAT WEIGHT LOSS, YOU'RE DOING REMARKEABLY WELL, YOU'RE RIGHT THE WEIGHT COMES OFF MUCH FASTER IN THE BEGINNING AND SLOWS DOWN LATER.YOU'RE EATING WILL GET EASIER, I KNOW YOU PROBABLY THINK FOOD WILL NEVER GO DOWN WITHOUT MAKING ME SICK, BUT IT DOES GET BETTER. I CAN REMEMBER THINKING"THIS IS GREAT,II'M, NOT HUNGRY AND THE SMELL OF FOOD MAKES ME SICK, HOPING THAT FEELING WOULD NEVER GO AWAY" SO I COULD GET THE WEIGHT OFF QUICKLY. HAD MINE DONE IN 9-2012 APPETITIE CAME BACK AND I HAVE TO FIGHT WITH MYSELF ON A DAILY BASIS AND TRY MY DARNEST TO NOT LET FOOD WIN THE BATTLE. IHAVE GOT 61 POUNDS OFF AND WANT TO LOOSE ANOTHER 50 OR MORE, SO ONE POUND AT A TIME. I WISH YOU MUCH SUCCESS, CONTINUE TO COME SHARE YOUR JOURNEY FOR IT'S ENCOURAGING TO SEE OTHERS SUCCEED. HAVE A BLESSED DAY.DONNA

It takes time with the fuilds but keep trying I do. Somedays I do and somedays I don't. I use jello lol. I don't let it set completely and it is easier to get down. no calories and it tastes good

hugs,
Angie

Cook-Congrats on your weight loss, you are doing fantastic!!! It will take a few more weeks to be able to drink more fluids. In case you didn't know it your protein shakes and things like sugar free Jello and popsicles count towards your fluid goal. At 6 weeks out you should be able to eat eggs, cottage cheese, regular cheese, lean ground meats and maybe even canned tuna or chicken with a dab of lite mayo. The more moist the food is the easier it will be to eat and feel comfortable in your pouch. You can also use fat free gravy to help moisten meats. Stay away from things that have more than 5 grams of sugar per serving or that have a high fat content.

Taking a stool softener like Ducolax (or generic equivelant) 2 to 3 times a day will help with the bowel issues you are having. It's common to have this issue with a high protein diet.

Cook-Congratulations on your weightloss!!! Have you tried powerade zero? Great for getting in electrolytes and fluids and so are Sugar Free popsicles.

Our team here says that the protein shakes do not count toward the fluids. I see that some places do and some don't. There should be some kind of concensus.

Carol

thank you all! Your comment and advice are greatly appreciated. I have tried some of the Smart Ones meals and some of them go down pretty good. I can only eat about 1/3 of the meal at a time but it is nice to have a little variety. Just joined a gym and going to go check that out. Hopefully, with my schedule, I can go at least 5 times a week. Have a great day everyone!

Yes I am 3 months out, oh btw congrats on weight loss. I had trouble getting in water and sometimes I still do. But time seems to help and the fact that I know my weight loss will be slower without it. I have a little thing I do. I buy sugar free jello and let it set only half way, I drink or use a spoon. In the evening if I have not got my water all in I do that. I like water but soon tired of adding flavor so I drink it straight lol. The bowels also play a large role in your diet. I had surgery on my bowels while in the hospital and I am glad cause now, after all these years I am "normal" whatever that is.:D you are below 200 that has to feel good also. I do not take Iron T/G I sometimes take fiber metamucal can be used one way as a fiber and another as a stool softner.Did your doctor tell you to go ahead and eat soft foods now? I am still there untill my visit in a few weeks. I eat eggs boiled or scrambled, some times fish, it flakes apart. cottage cheese of course yogurts( this helps your stomach) Pudding they have some new flavors out that are really good. I do not drink milk its very hard on me, however I got the powdered kind and add half what it says to my shakes. I have cream of wheat, string cheese. Weight watchers has a cheese out, its like the laughing cow brand, the little things in a round box with triangles. Its cheaper and less calories and fat. I do make pintos and cheese my attempt at Taco Bell. Refried beans I bought green sauce its mild, add cheese which I use the shredded 2% chedder and it taste great & beans are full of protein.I will add Humus to some things different flavors not plain. Some days I just do not feel like eating proteins, so I make sure I get the amount I am suppose to have in my shake, I buy my own from Walmart and it taste great. I noticed when I was there they now have my brand in Isolate its Body fortress at Walmart, its like $4 more but its better for you and is absorbed better. Also Calcium with D 3. I found at Krogers made by Natures Bounty, they are called adult gummies, and they are not like gummies more like a candy soft chews easy taste great. I am going to look online and see if this company has other vitamins this way. Cause regular gummies do not break up, and I cut & crush and if I don't have to lol. I don't drink coffee, but they do have a diet Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate out, and that can go to your water count too. I eat fruits in those little containers sometimes, in natural juices. Apple sauce I found to taste good if you read the label some are made with different apples and taste better. And I use sweetners when I think something is not sweet enough. There is a sweetner out that is 100% natural its called Stevia and Audi's sells it in a big bag. (cheaper and you can get more) I sometimes eat those little Idahoan microwavable potatoes they come in different flavors, add fat free sour cream its good. I did began to add new things like shaved chicken, turkey, and I can do that fine. But not the regular baked at home kind yet. But my doctor told me to try, and I guess I was about 6 weeks when he said that. I do not eat red meat & have decided not to ever again, research lol.I can have a slice of toast I use whole wheat & use butter spray and every once in a while I add sugar free jelly.Remember though no fresh bread. There has been only one thing that made me sick and it was creamer:) fat free sugar free vanillia, I am not crazy over choclate but I drink the diet hot chocolate and added that, did it with out no problem added it again and I was sick. I know its scarey who wants to be sick, but I am pretty lucky so far I can eat what I try. also they have sugar free oatmeal with flavors, took me forever to find it but there it was. So go for it and call doctor about your bowels if its a problem, that is to severe. Exercise, water, and maybe fiber will help you. But your doing great. Just add one thing at a time. You will make it. Good luck
Hugs,
Angie

darkpoeticangel-I noticed you are using calcium gummies. I bought some too because they taste great and sure beat trying to swallow broken up pieces of those giant calcium tabs. There is a problem with the calcium gummies though. The ones I bought are not made from calcium citrate. According to my nutritionist any other source of calcium is not absorbed by gastric bypass patients. You might want to check your label to make sure your gummies are calcium citrate or else you won't be absorbing any calcium.

Back