• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

7 weeks post op still on liquid Some to little purée Please HELP

I'm fully vaccinated too and slowly getting used to going maskless outdoors, but with so many around here not getting vaccinated, I'm still very afraid of indoor dining and esp going to any bars where people get up in your face laughing, salivating, yuck I just don't know how I'll ever be comfortable being maskless indoors <sigh>
I have 2 kids who can’t be vaccinated yet, and one who getting the booster this week. I will keep wearing a mask with them as solidarity since they’ll still need them for a while. We have gone to indoor dining a few times, but not often and only during lulls. I’ve never been a bar person, so I don’t have to worry about that.

Hi I am almost 7 weeks post op. Lost 25 lbs on my 3rd week visit to the surgeon. Was admitted for hydration 2xs 1 week post op 1 time 2 weeks post op 1 time 3 weeks post op then again 5 weeks post op. Had X-rays done found I’m constipated. Suppositories and clear liquid scripts did not work. I am in a lot of pain and dropping weight too fast. Can only get 1 protein shake in a day down if I’m lucky and 10-24 ounces of water differs daily. Don’t like yogurt oatmeal or cottage cheese. Don’t know what else to do. Nutritionist is basically saying “force and push yourself or we will have to get nutrients into your pouch through a tube”. I have been crying and don’t know what to do. When I attempt eating, even in the puréed stage, I have instant pain in the center of my chest. Then to the left on my side. This is where food tends to get stuck and has been with me. Also it’s been 6 days since a bowl movement. I do not want a tube down my throat. Any suggestions on healthy puréed foods? I tried tuna, canned chicken, salmon ect. And they have all found their way back up. I am scared to eat anything at this point.
One of my favorite comfort foods is roasted cauliflower and ground turkey in a broth with a little coconut milk - I puree it all. Add a little curry if you are so inclined.

Hi I am almost 7 weeks post op. Lost 25 lbs on my 3rd week visit to the surgeon. Was admitted for hydration 2xs 1 week post op 1 time 2 weeks post op 1 time 3 weeks post op then again 5 weeks post op. Had X-rays done found I’m constipated. Suppositories and clear liquid scripts did not work. I am in a lot of pain and dropping weight too fast. Can only get 1 protein shake in a day down if I’m lucky and 10-24 ounces of water differs daily. Don’t like yogurt oatmeal or cottage cheese. Don’t know what else to do. Nutritionist is basically saying “force and push yourself or we will have to get nutrients into your pouch through a tube”. I have been crying and don’t know what to do. When I attempt eating, even in the puréed stage, I have instant pain in the center of my chest. Then to the left on my side. This is where food tends to get stuck and has been with me. Also it’s been 6 days since a bowl movement. I do not want a tube down my throat. Any suggestions on healthy puréed foods? I tried tuna, canned chicken, salmon ect. And they have all found their way back up. I am scared to eat anything at this point.
I have also been to the ER for dehydration, low potassium and they found I had a UTI. I was treated for all 3 and when I left there after receiving 2 bags of fluids I felt like a new person. I was 2 weeks post op at that time and up until then I couldn’t eat anything except maybe 2-3oz a day of liquids but after getting hydrated my appetite started returning. I go to my local Mexican restaurant and get their tortilla soup. You can just sip on the soup base instead of eating everything else in there. You said that your stomach hurts and so does your chest when you eat. Im 3 weeks out and my stomach still hurts (it’s the upper part). Mine is due to indigestion which is different then reflux but they can also be connected and are treated the same. I take Pepcid in the AM and Omeprazole at night. It doesn’t cure it but it makes it bearable to eat. Both of those medications reduce stomach acid and have been a God send me for through these last couple of weeks. Just make sure if you do take them to do so an hr before you start eating for the best outcome. Some other ideas on food, I take whip cream and put it on top of my pudding which is really good or you could even put it on jello. Im still trying to adjust as well so I don’t have a lot of ideas yet but im here if you need someone to talk to. Take care :)

Speaking of UTIs...

As a young teen, had one UTI and yeast infection after another. So did my sisters and mother. Mom had a number of "cures," but mostly criticisms. It was my fault. She even accused me of not being a virgin.

I should note my mom was mentally ill, super-bipolar with PTSD and OCD. She "spanked" with thin, whip-like tree branches until she raised bloody welts. But never anywhere on our bodies where they could be seen. She had 8 children and just couldn't handle it. She blamed everyone for everything because she was so fragile, she couldn't take the blame herself.

Intimate hygiene was difficult for her to teach her six daughters. She didn't even know the right words. So from the potty to Modess, it was show and tell. No words. Wipe this way.

I hope if I say back-to-front, one shot, then flush, you'll get a picture of how she taught us to spread bacteria and yeasts to fertile areas where they grew.

Every woman in my family had chronic problems and even illness and hospitalizations and surgeries related to infections from bad hygiene.

As an adult in the 1970s, with the advent of "Our Bodies, Our Selves," birth control, fun sexual techniques and experiences and a general genital renaissance for women, I learned what I'd been doing wrong. I haven't had an infection since.

Never stop learning. You may not know as much as you think you do.

I was vaccinated March 27 with Johnson and Johnson. In June I started to go maskless a couple of times at the store but keeping social distance in place. Now that the dvariant is out, not sure if in my area, but I will wear my mask in doors. In the middle of June a well attended church in my town held a bible camp. 85 people tested positive for covid. 7 people had been vaccinated before camp and tested positive. No I did not go to that church. This community is very republican so many will probably not vaccinate. For them I feel sorry.

Speaking of UTIs...

As a young teen, had one UTI and yeast infection after another. So did my sisters and mother. Mom had a number of "cures," but mostly criticisms. It was my fault. She even accused me of not being a virgin.

I should note my mom was mentally ill, super-bipolar with PTSD and OCD. She "spanked" with thin, whip-like tree branches until she raised bloody welts. But never anywhere on our bodies where they could be seen. She had 8 children and just couldn't handle it. She blamed everyone for everything because she was so fragile, she couldn't take the blame herself.

Intimate hygiene was difficult for her to teach her six daughters. She didn't even know the right words. So from the potty to Modess, it was show and tell. No words. Wipe this way.

I hope if I say back-to-front, one shot, then flush, you'll get a picture of how she taught us to spread bacteria and yeasts to fertile areas where they grew.

Every woman in my family had chronic problems and even illness and hospitalizations and surgeries related to infections from bad hygiene.

As an adult in the 1970s, with the advent of "Our Bodies, Our Selves," birth control, fun sexual techniques and experiences and a general genital renaissance for women, I learned what I'd been doing wrong. I haven't had an infection since.

Never stop learning. You may not know as much as you think you do.
Omg that’s horrible! My daughter was diagnosed w/ a UTI at only 3 months old. She was hospitalized for several days. After that we found out she had reflux of the bladder where the urine overflows or something like that causing multiple UTI’s (it’s been over 10 yrs so it’s hard to remember exactly how they explained it to us). Sorry you had to grow up with that. So sad.

It's okay. I learned, and learned more and more. There's nothing so potent as a horrifying experience to learn and grow.

I learn and share here, and am SO grateful for my soulmates. No matter where we are on our journeys, someone's there with us.

It took time, but one day I realized my mom loved me, but didn't like me. Once I was able to accept that, I was able to see her side, and felt proud I was able to detach. My siblings weren't so lucky.

Whatever anyone teaches, wrong or right, I'll take it.

It's okay. I learned, and learned more and more. There's nothing so potent as a horrifying experience to learn and grow.

I learn and share here, and am SO grateful for my soulmates. No matter where we are on our journeys, someone's there with us.

It took time, but one day I realized my mom loved me, but didn't like me. Once I was able to accept that, I was able to see her side, and felt proud I was able to detach. My siblings weren't so lucky.

Whatever anyone teaches, wrong or right, I'll take it.
You are a very bright person and should be proud who you have become. Take care

Back