• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

8 weeks post-op and haven't met weight loss goal

Titi

So I am 8 weeks post and when I went to my last appointment at 6 weeks I had gained weight. My doctor said in her 20yrs she had never seen anyone gain weight between weeks 2 and 6. I was EXTREMELY swollen so she suggested going to my PCP to check on what was causing the excessive water retention. Saw my PCP she admitted to me that I'm her first bariatric patient so based on labs that I had done she suggested adding more protein (even though I was meeting my goal set by surgeon) and staying away from anything canned and not adding salt to ANYTHING I consume. So it's been 2 weeks and I've lost 14lbs and my legs and hands feel sooooo much better.

But I feel like at 8 weeks I should have lost more than 20lbs. Why am I losing so slowly? I'm meeting my goals and walking for 30+min a day at least 5 days a week. Help. Advice. Anyone else experience slow weight loss with bypass??
Thank you

I am no help to you other than I think I am sitting in the same boat as you. I am 4 weeks out today I have only lost 9lbs. I don't get it as I am not eating anything I can't have. I get my protein in most days and my water in most days. I am having about 500 to 700 calories a day and most days in the 500's. I also walk for 30 min 4 to 5 days a week. I also had the bypass.

I hope someone has something to say that can help both of us.

Our bodies all lose weight at different rates depending on genetics, food choices and our environment. If you are following your program guidelines, your body will continue to progress. We all want to shed the weight quickly, but not everyone does. Continue to focus on making good food choices, continuing to walk, perhaps working in some strength exercises, and staying very well hydrated. You body will take you to where it wants to go.

I am no help to you other than I think I am sitting in the same boat as you. I am 4 weeks out today I have only lost 9lbs. I don't get it as I am not eating anything I can't have. I get my protein in most days and my water in most days. I am having about 500 to 700 calories a day and most days in the 500's. I also walk for 30 min 4 to 5 days a week. I also had the bypass.

You may be eating too FEW calories.

I can relate to the water retention following surgery. I had some complications following my surgery and wound up having two additional surgeries following my VSG. After the 3rd surgery I wound up with horrible edema and wound up gaining 40 lbs of water weight. So at 3 weeks post op my hands, legs and feet were so swollen, t was scary. So my weight loss journey didn't even start until I lost that extra weight, but it did happen. I have no idea what is causing your particular situation but wanted you to know that your body may take longer to adjust for some reason and hopefully once it does it will catch up like mine did.

Every person loses at different pace. It is hard to see someone else’s weight just dripping off their body while yours is being difficult. Like others have said be patient stick to the plan and log the portions of your food. There you can see patterns To help make better choices. I love dianeseattle post. The body is confused and has to catch up.

Hi. I would like to point out that you were apparently having either a water retention or inflammation issue. You need to keep that in mind when you get frustrated about losing slowly. You said you've lost 20lbs in 8 weeks. When really, you gained or stayed the same for 4 of those weeks. So, it's actually 20lbs in 4 weeks. Which is much better.
Also, you should definitely be measuring and logging all your food this early in your journey. I am 11 months post op. I measured everything for probably 6 months. And I still grab 1.2 ounces of almonds every time I try to grab an ounce. Literally. EVERY. TIME.

I can relate to the water retention following surgery. I had some complications following my surgery and wound up having two additional surgeries following my VSG. After the 3rd surgery I wound up with horrible edema and wound up gaining 40 lbs of water weight. So at 3 weeks post op my hands, legs and feet were so swollen, t was scary. So my weight loss journey didn't even start until I lost that extra weight, but it did happen. I have no idea what is causing your particular situation but wanted you to know that your body may take longer to adjust for some reason and hopefully once it does it will catch up like mine did.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm hoping now that I've got the swelling down a bit the weight will start to come off a bit faster. Once again I appreciate you sharing.
-Titi

Hi. I would like to point out that you were apparently having either a water retention or inflammation issue. You need to keep that in mind when you get frustrated about losing slowly. You said you've lost 20lbs in 8 weeks. When really, you gained or stayed the same for 4 of those weeks. So, it's actually 20lbs in 4 weeks. Which is much better.
Also, you should definitely be measuring and logging all your food this early in your journey. I am 11 months post op. I measured everything for probably 6 months. And I still grab 1.2 ounces of almonds every time I try to grab an ounce. Literally. EVERY. TIME.
Thanks for the tip and different view of the situation. I don't have a scale but I ordered one today so maybe that'll help . Appreciate the advice.
-Titi

I'm going to try some of the tips given here and HOPE that it makes a difference. I hope all is well with your recovery. Good luck with your journey.
-Titi

I hope that you are still weight/measuring and tracking all your food and water intake. It really keeps you on track. Also, please keep in mind that everyone loses at their own pace. So often the weight loss we see is based on people who are very overweight. If you start out at a lower weight, you are going to have less loss. I am going to attach the AVERAGE weight loss guide I judged myself by. Please keep in mind it is an average, which means many people will fall below and many will fall above. However, if you work the program, it will work for you. Follow your doctors guidelines, eat only what is approved in your eating stage and the weight will come off.

Attachments

• Average-Rate-Weight-Loss-Bariatric-Surgery-683x1024.png
    Average-Rate-Weight-Loss-Bariatric-Surgery-683x1024.png
    176.7 KB · Views: 76
I hope that you are still weight/measuring and tracking all your food and water intake. It really keeps you on track. Also, please keep in mind that everyone loses at their own pace. So often the weight loss we see is based on people who are very overweight. If you start out at a lower weight, you are going to have less loss. I am going to attach the AVERAGE weight loss guide I judged myself by. Please keep in mind it is an average, which means many people will fall below and many will fall above. However, if you work the program, it will work for you. Follow your doctors guidelines, eat only what is approved in your eating stage and the weight will come off.
Wow Thank you! I may be not doing as bad as I was thinking. My starting weigh is 222 on day of surgery I am loss of 9 lbs on week 4. I hope I will be at the week 6 mark by my week 6. This makes me feel better. I am following every rule I have been given. My family member who has bypass a year before me started at 495 day of surgery. I guess I have been thinking I should loose like she did in the start. Again thank you.

Missy that weight loss guide is gonna be so helpful to so many people trying to figure out why they don't lose as quickly. Starting at a lower weight means losing weight slower. Thank you for posting this & maybe put things in perspective for frustrated & impatient patients. I'm sure I'll be one of those but this is great.

So I am 8 weeks post and when I went to my last appointment at 6 weeks I had gained weight. My doctor said in her 20yrs she had never seen anyone gain weight between weeks 2 and 6. I was EXTREMELY swollen so she suggested going to my PCP to check on what was causing the excessive water retention. Saw my PCP she admitted to me that I'm her first bariatric patient so based on labs that I had done she suggested adding more protein (even though I was meeting my goal set by surgeon) and staying away from anything canned and not adding salt to ANYTHING I consume. So it's been 2 weeks and I've lost 14lbs and my legs and hands feel sooooo much better.

But I feel like at 8 weeks I should have lost more than 20lbs. Why am I losing so slowly? I'm meeting my goals and walking for 30+min a day at least 5 days a week. Help. Advice. Anyone else experience slow weight loss with bypass??
Thank you
Protein is Important 1 day out or 17yrs out 8 weeks out make sure you drink you water take your vitamins. walk or do your workout daily, write down everything you eat or drink weigh everything till you feel comfortable. if you have a local support group meetings can help Basically .Protien 2.walk 3.water 4. Accountability to yourself 5.through out your bathroom scale

I am way-out surgery I lost 200 pounds in 2yrs time then 7 months later I had a stroke made me a left-side hemaplegic. I can no longer walk, I have gained 34 pounds since my stroke on January 2, 2007. I was just starting to live and it was Gone in a fraction a minute. pattilc@yahoo.com
Wow Patti, so sorry you had a stroke. Loosing 200 lbs is awesome though, and it might have been even worse if you didn't already lose that weight before the stroke came along.

Wow Thank you! I may be not doing as bad as I was thinking. My starting weigh is 222 on day of surgery I am loss of 9 lbs on week 4. I hope I will be at the week 6 mark by my week 6. This makes me feel better. I am following every rule I have been given. My family member who has bypass a year before me started at 495 day of surgery. I guess I have been thinking I should loose like she did in the start. Again thank you.

Your starting weight is significantly lower than most people thus you will lose slower. Day of surgery i was 226. The first month I lost 14 but every month after it was less tha. 10 a month. You can not compare your lose rate to somebody that started double your weight. I am now almost 9 months out and have lose a total of 73 pounds. The past couple of months total have been under 10 pounds.

Weight will come off as it should as long as your eating and drinking enough.

Your starting weight is significantly lower than most people thus you will lose slower. Day of surgery i was 226. The first month I lost 14 but every month after it was less tha. 10 a month. You can not compare your lose rate to somebody that started double your weight. I am now almost 9 months out and have lose a total of 73 pounds. The past couple of months total have been under 10 pounds.

Weight will come off as it should as long as your eating and drinking enough.
Tokash, Thank you for your information this also helps to make me not feel like I am doing something wrong. I still have my days where I can't seem to get in all my proteins or my water. I can seem to get in one but not both on days. like I have less room inside on some days than other days. Today is one of my bad proteins days I have in 9 at almost noon my time. the look, smell and thought for food or protein drink makes me feel like I could get sick. On the other side I can drink water and have some unsweetened tea that go down just fine.

Back