• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

A couple of questions...

cletourn

I am wondering how the gastric bypass surgery will affect my taking medicine. I currently take 8-10 pills every morning for a variety of ailments. Is swallowing pills an issue for people who have had surgery? Also, after surgery how long before I can climb stairs? My bedroom is on the second floor of the house. Surgery is coming up on July 14 and my mind is coming up with a lot of questions. Any help would be much appreciated.

your Doctors will change or stop any pills that may be to big , just have to watch out for taking too much water with pills after surgery... and about the stairs I slept down stairs (we have a couch bed ) for the fist few days home . it depends on how you feel. GOOD LUCK and drink as much liquids afterwards that you can it helps

Hi Cletourn:

before my surgery I was taking 11 meds (pills) and 4 navolog (short acting Insulin) and 2lantus ( long acting Insulin) daily I had to crush all the pills and empty caspsule in applesauce is not easy but its work thank God 3 weeks after my surgery all meds are discontinued, or your doctor will change your meds
you will be fine.

Joygirl:(

I am wondering how the gastric bypass surgery will affect my taking medicine. I currently take 8-10 pills every morning for a variety of ailments. Is swallowing pills an issue for people who have had surgery? Also, after surgery how long before I can climb stairs? My bedroom is on the second floor of the house. Surgery is coming up on July 14 and my mind is coming up with a lot of questions. Any help would be much appreciated.

We were told by our surgeon to ask our Primary Care Physician to prescribe either crushable medicine or liquid form for use after out surgery. We took our meds in this form for two months post surgery. UC Davis treats both sleeve and bypass patients the same for the first two months, after that I was able to take NSAIDs and discontinue or cut back on most of my vitamins because I don't have any absorption problems with the sleeve.

My bedroom is upstairs but I too like booly slept downstairs for the first week in a big comply chair. I couldn't sleep flat because I suffered from reflux or something and would either throw up or spit up like a baby. All this tummy drama passes pretty quickly. You'll be amazed how well you'll adapt to your new tummy. Of course aversion therapy is a very effective training tool. LOL. Sorry Bariatric humor.

Don't be afraid to ask even the dumbest or duh most obvious questions. We veterans love to tell you what's up and what's not. Enjoy and remember these next few months, they will help you in the future.

Good luck and Best wishes,
Kt

if you see a nutrisionist they should help with meds and vitamins . no question is a dumb one knowledge is power it all helps

I think everything said above is so valid.

Personally, I was able to climb up the stairs ever so gingerly right after I got home.

You should minimize the number of times you go up and down until you really feel up to it.

As some have said, they slept downstairs for a few days before going back up to the upstairs bedroom.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Back