• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

A Month Out, ugh!

KDub

Tomorrow will be a month since my surgery, feeling better but still struggling. I'm doing better getting fluids in but still not getting in as many as I need. Each day is getting better and now that my clothes are becoming loose, it feels good. I still have my doubts but I'm not as mad at myself for doing it. I was told once I can introduce more foods, that feeling will go away...and it is, slowly but surely. I'm still having problems with certain liquids and foods that feel like it gets stuck or slows down in my chest. I'm hoping this is all part of the healing process and will go away. It is a learning process, learning to eat again...I'm trying to break a life times worth of bad eating habits. I am being very strict with foods, I've come too far to try to rush it or eat things that got me into this situation in the first place. Right now I'm battling a headache and nausea. The one question I have is, what is the best way to control gas? EVERY day at the same time, 2pm, my belly starts rumbling and I get bad gas pains...it lasts throughout the evening. I haven't had anything carbonated or used a straw. I'm only eating what I was told was ok at this stage (pureed foods) so I'm not sure what is causing it but it's very uncomfortable. Can I try Gas X or something similar? I am cleared for solids on Thanksgiving Day, perfect timing. Nervous but looking forward to it!

Please do try the Gas -X strips. They really do help. The PA at my Center said the high protein diet tends to be more gassy and constipating. Also certain vegetables are gas causing.

Hope you get to feeling better as each day passes.

Joy

I second the motion o GasEx. I use a generic gel cap and let it soften under my tongue a little then bite inot it to release the liquid. It has a pleasant minty flavor but no sweetness to it. The Gas-Ex (or generic) will help a lot but will not work 100%. The gas will become less as time passes but certain foods will trigger it more than others. It took about 5 or 6 months for mine to settle down but I still use the gas-Ex generic on an almost daily basis 2 or 3 times a day, sometime more. It helps with the associated pain.

Hi KDub-

I totally understand where your coming from!!! I am also out a month and struggle:/ This whole thing has been one crazy, craby, hungry, hurting, confussing process :) Some days you do sooo good and the next day your throwing up because you have something stuck in your throat! It does feel good to see your cloths start to become baggy and lose. Your not the only one who says " what the hell did I do?" But I just have to trust that it won't be this way forever. That at some point I will figure this out and I'll feel some what normal again...It will happen :) Just keep doing what your program says to do. Get some gas x to make you feel better. Not feeling well every day wears on you so get that taken care of. You have enough going on with out that :) Be careful at Thanksgiving. You'll see and smell all that good food but it won't feel so good if your throwing it up!! So just go slow with it. Good luck:) Hang in there and let us know how it went

Hi KDub,

Try not to gulp down the liquids too quickly, or it will be uncomfortable. Take small sips, and you may feel better. Practice makes perfect, and your body will let you know when you eat or drink to quickly. Take is slow and steady for that will win the race! You're doing great! Keep up the good work!
:eek:

4 months post-op - still having issues

I am four months post-op and have not only had to recover from RNY surgery, but also had to have 2 kidney surgeries in the past two months. I have had a lot to deal with, but now that I am on my way to a full recovery from the kidney surgeries, I am noticing more issues with the RNY. Even after four months, I don't feel comfortable really eating very much at all. I still am eating pretty soft foods, but it seems like everything I try causes discomfort. I always have a pressure feeling in my chest when I eat and it causes lots of belching. It's not really pain - just an uncomfortable pressure feeling that makes me not want to eat anything. Does anyone else have this feeling? And how long before it goes away? When I talk to friends who have also had RNY surgery, they say they can eat just about anything. I have lost 73 pounds in four months and I know it is because I have been so sick that I have barely consumed much food. Do you think it is possible that since I have eaten so little the past few months, that my pouch has shrunk up some and that's why I am so uncomfortable when I try to eat? I get plenty of fluids because of the kidney thing also, but just not much food. I am very happy about the weight loss, but am really worried that I am malnourished. Any thoughts please????

Call your Doctor right away, is the best advise I can offer. I've hear people mention that the opening may be too small, but you'll need to consult your Dr. Please don't wait. Others may have more info on this. Keep us posted and I'm adding you to my prayers.

Frank

:cool:

Even after four months, I don't feel comfortable really eating very much at all. I still am eating pretty soft foods, but it seems like everything I try causes discomfort. I always have a pressure feeling in my chest when I eat and it causes lots of belching. It's not really pain - just an uncomfortable pressure feeling that makes me not want to eat anything . . . When I talk to friends who have also had RNY surgery, they say they can eat just about anything. I have lost 73 pounds in four months and I know it is because I have been so sick that I have barely consumed much food. Do you think it is possible that since I have eaten so little the past few months, that my pouch has shrunk up some and that's why I am so uncomfortable when I try to eat? I get plenty of fluids because of the kidney thing also, but just not much food. I am very happy about the weight loss, but am really worried that I am malnourished.

What do your medicos have to say? If you haven't spoken to them recently about these concerns, please call them immediately. Even with the Thanksgiving holidays, there will be someone you can speak with.

73 pounds of weight loss in four months is certainly within the range of normal weight loss immediately following wls. Any malnourishment issues will appear in your bloodwork. What did your three-month labs show?

You say you have friends who have had wls and can eat just about anything. How far out are they? Not just four months, I'll bet. And even if they were at four months out, it is a waste of your time to compare yourself to them. We are all different.

Are you following your post-op instructions? How much protein are you getting in daily? How many ounces of fluid? Does your journaling show any deficiency in protein or fluid intake?

Are you getting your multivitamins, B12, D3, calcium supplement, etc? What else is prescribed in your post-op instructions? Are you making sure to take it all?

I don't think you need fear having your pouch shrink up but I am not a medical professional. Again, this is a question that should be put to your medicos immediately.

Bottom line here: you have a number of concerns which should be addressed by your medical team. They are your final arbiter. Please call them right away. Let us know what they have to say and how we can best support you.

Last edited:
I am a month out, and I am struggling to get the protien in. I am to the point where I am stuck at the same weight this week and 1/2. Has anyone else had issues with weight staying the same? What can I do to make it to where I am still losing?

I am a month out, and I am struggling to get the protien in. I am to the point where I am stuck at the same weight this week and 1/2. Has anyone else had issues with weight staying the same? What can I do to make it to where I am still losing?

Welcome, JenC,

And Congratulations on your weight loss surgery!

The best, most effective thing you can do to continue your weight loss and to remain healthy while you do it is . . . follow your program.

You must get in your protein. You need it to heal. You need it to stay healthy. You need it to lose weight.

You must get in your fluids. Same reasons.

How much protein per day do your post-op instructions say you are to have, at a minimum? 60 grams? 80 grams? How much are you getting? What struggle are you having to get in your protein? Do you need to try another brand? Another flavor? Are your shakes too thick? Cut them with additional water.

Tell us what struggles you are having. No doubt, someone here will have had a similar struggle and can help you.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

i am only 5 weeks out, but i have found that some days for whatever reason, i simply cannot eat. And usually at the same time i dont want to get any fluids in either. I dont throw up, but i feel a pressure and a feeling of having eaten too much even though i havent eaten al all. i am coming to realize that some days are just going to be like that. on these days the easiest thing to get down is chicken broth. broth and chicken noodle soup.

i am only 5 weeks out, but i have found that some days for whatever reason, i simply cannot eat. And usually at the same time i dont want to get any fluids in either. I dont throw up, but i feel a pressure and a feeling of having eaten too much even though i havent eaten al all. i am coming to realize that some days are just going to be like that. on these days the easiest thing to get down is chicken broth. broth and chicken noodle soup.

What does your medical team have to say about this issue? Their involvement in your weight-loss success and your general well-being doesn't end with the surgery. They are also a vital part of your ongoing recovery.

To continue to stay healthy, to continue your healing, to continue your weight loss, you must get in your protein and fluids. You say on these bad days, the easiest thing to get down is chicken broth, etc. Have you tried the Unjury chicken flavor? Maybe that would help you. It's certainly worth a try. Personally, I find the flavor lacking and add a bit of chicken buillon to it. I don't know of any brand, off hand, that has any savory flavors on offer but for Unjury. Wish there were more!

You had your life-saving wls surgery on one of the best days of the year . . . my son's birthday.

Let us know if the Unjury helps.

i never tried the unjury. I have just been using the cubes, i really like the saltyness of it. due to other symptoms i have been having lately, it seems my thiamine may be low. had my blood drawn yesterday but it will take a week for results. this may be why some days i dont want anything

I too am a month out. I had bad protein issues between week 2 and 3. I did order the Unjury brand unflavored protein powder. Much better. I've had it a week now and mix it with crystal lite. It doesn't have the nasty smell or taste when mixed together. It does smell when I open the container, very mild compared to what I thought I liked.

Pjb, the Unjury chicken flavor has 21 grams of protein and you can add bullion to it. Bullion has hardly any protein. Hopefully when you get your B12 straight you'll be able to tolerate more. I noticed this today, when I forget to eat and drink, I tend to have a hard time getting it in. And then the days where I'm very efficient, my mouth isn't ready to stop when my pouch is! And I have a full feeling at the bottom of my breast plate, those days I forget.

Best wishes everyone,
pen

Best advice would be to see your doctor to check the outlet in your pouch IF you are still having problems getting in the proteins and not losing weight. I am soon to have surgery so am not talking from experience but I am a medical practitioner. Believe it or not I have very little experience with WLS and so I ask questions like anyone else having the surgery, it is the same for me as anyone else believe me, I am terrified and keep asking myself, why are you doing this? BUT then I answer and I hope the answer takes me through the surgery and hope by next summer I will be well on my way to my goal weight, we shall see!! Take the advice of those who have gone before you, they know what they are talking about for sure. Please keep this forum advised as to how you are doing.

I am 5 weeks out and have the go ahead to start a normal diet. HOWEVER, I am struggling too! Haven't lost anything in a week and a half! From what i am hearing is that i am not eating enough protein. So now I am going to really push the protein and see what happens. Within a week of surgery (sleeve) I was off of all insulin..I was a diabetic. Also my doc said not to weigh myself but once a week to save my sanity! lol Because there will be plateaus. Time will tell.

I had the same gas pains and sometimes still deal,with them. Mylanta works best for me. I have only found that Wallgreens carries it now. It works quickly within 15 minutes and my pains are gone. You're doing great. Hang in there.

Back