• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

A Newbie looking for support

Hello all. I am almost 28 years old. I have been overweight my entire life. I started having high blood pressure and started medication when I was 20 years old. My doctor at the time suggested that I look into gastric bypass because in his words, "I was on a path of destruction"! I seriously considered it, but I decided that I wanted a family and to have a baby first. I am not completely new to gastric bypass as I went through it with my Mother in 2002. She has had great success from hers. However, knowing hers and what she went through, I knew/know that you have to have a 100% mind set to do this. If you have any doubts, you might want to wait because it is a life changing/altering surgery. I looked into having the surgery once more, however my mindset wasn't in the right place. I let other's opinions about it discourage me and the fact that our out of pocket expense was going to be $4000. I couldn't do that to my family. I am a stay at home mom to my 2 kids and step son (when he is here) and with my husband being our only income, I just couldn't justify taking that big chunk of money. I was determined I could do it on my own. I mean, i'm young... all I have to do is set my mind to it. YEAH RIGHT! It is so hard, and when others who live in the home do not suffer from obesity, it makes it a bit more difficult. However, two weeks ago, I had a scare and wound up in the emergency room with what seemed like a heart attack. It turned out my blood pressure just got too high and caused my heart rate to soar and thus caused a bit of chest pain. I underwent a few tests to be sure I had no blockages and to rule out my gall bladder and everything came back normal. This scare made me take my own health into consideration. I know that if something isn't done, I won't be around to watch my children grow up. With my kids only being 5 and 3, it is an extremely scary thought. The surgeon in my area requires you to attend a seminar before he will even see you in office. I am attending the September 4th seminar. However, I have gotten a jump on things by calling my insurance company. They cover it as long as I meet the critical criteria. With my health problems, I DO! I did find out that I have to have either 6 consecutive months of a structured weight loss program or 3 consecutive months of 2 structured weight loss programs. I have an appointment with my physician on the 23rd of this month to get this started. I was wondering though, does anyone know of 2 structured weight loss programs that can be done at the same time? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hollie-I don't know of 2 structured weight loss programs but I'm sure your insurance company can assist you with this. plus, if they make the recommendations you will know for sure you are using programs that qualify. Congratulations on deciding on WLS, it is a big decision to make and is indeed life altering. As for the financial aspects, a lot of hospitals will set up an affordable monthly payment plan at zero interest. Another option to consider is maybe working part time for a short while.

The time will pass quickly while you are participating in your weight loss programs. This requirement is pretty much standard these days. Good luck as you begin your journey and make sure you let us know how your are doing

It was hard enough to get what requirements were needed from my insurance company, but thank you for the suggestion. Hopefully my doctor will know. I say it was hard, they did suggest something like Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers. I haven't done Jenny Craig but I have done Weight Watchers with very little success, so I do not want to sign up for it again and feel like I am just wasting my money. I would rather pay my $20 copay to my doctor each month and wait for 6 months than spend hundreds of dollars on those two programs. Also, I guess I forgot to mention it, but my insurance now will cover the surgery with my part only being $200. That is far from $4000. So I am blessed. I will wait out however long it takes because I have to be healthy for myself and my kids. I have to set a good example for them!! I am so glad I have found this forum. Everyone is so positive and supportive. Can't wait to let you all know my progress. I see my PCP on Aug. 23rd to start the diet program. Will let you know from there!

Hi Hollie, It sounds like you are in the right place to get the surgery. I met with my surgeon 10 years ago and didn't have the surgery until 9 weeks ago. I guess what I'm saying is you are ready when you are ready. My insurance company required that I list all the diet plans that I had tried. It was a very long list which included 2 months in a eating disorder unit. I didn't have the wait time, but I guess every insurance is different. I think you are making a good choice in doing a medically supervised weight loss plan with your doctor. Best of luck and good health to you. Let us know how you are doing.

Hi Hollie,

I am a newbie too. Here in VA my insurance company made me wait one full year to the day. I had to go to a seminar firstI had to do Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig. I chose Weight Watchers, it's cheaper and it's real food. It worked somewhat but I only lost 15 pounds in 8 months. Then I gave up. I also had to meet with a life coach 2x a month on the phone for about 1 hr each session, meet with a psychiatrist once and a nutritionist twice. I had to get blood work, ekg, mammogram. I go for my pre-op tomorrow and my last nutritionis visit. Surgery is set for Monday and 10:45 am. I cannot wait. I know it is hard to put ourselves first but sometimes we have to do just that. We won't be able to take care of anyone if we are not taking care of us. I hope the six months flies by for you (my year did) and by February you are getting your health back on track for good. Good luck!

Wow Kim 10 years ago! Good for you for doing it. Do you have any regrets? I hear people say their only regret is that they didn't do it sooner.

Hollie, welcome to the forum and on your decision to have WLS. Another possible benefit to having the surgery now is that you can teach your small children good eating habits.

I wasn't as smart as you. I have been waiting for the weight to disappear on its own for 25 years. Guess what, it's not going anywhere without help!

As far as the structured weight loss program-- I know that you are ready to get on with the surgery, but 6 months of waiting gives you a fair amount of time to think and consider your life style changes. I wouldn't rush the process. And also, I wouldn't pay any more for Jennie Craig or Weight Watchers if you already know it's not going to work.

Hollie, I'm not sure there are any structured weight loss programs that aren't expensive - how about going through a church or the YWCA? It's good to hear that insurance will cover most of it for you. My husband's company insurance policy absolutely outright denies financial support for WLS under any circumstances. I found that out after attending my first seminar. I knew by that time that I really wanted the surgery and, fortunately, we are in a position to pay it off. I understand how you feel about the expense when you have a young family, but I believe your health is way up there on the scale of priorities for the good of you and your family. You are investing in your future and your childrens' futures! Best of luck to you.

Back