• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

After Surgery day3

Giannaly

Hi everyone, Today is my third day after surgery. I feel yucky trying to drink water, but I am able to get my protein shakes slowly. I notice when I drink too much of the amount I should, the liquid stays on the esophagus causing some pain. I have no nausea but I do have acid reflux my doctor told me to take a Prilosec otc daily and seems to help a little bit. I am trying to stay positive with everything but I am worry not able to get enough water.
This morning took me 25 minutes to have a jello, yesterday took me 2 hours to get 11 oz protein shake down, Is this normal? I was told to drink 64 oz of water a day but can't get 4 oz. down. Will this pass?

Hi everyone, Today is my third day after surgery. I feel yucky trying to drink water, but I am able to get my protein shakes slowly. I notice when I drink too much of the amount I should, the liquid stays on the esophagus causing some pain. I have no nausea but I do have acid reflux my doctor told me to take a Prilosec otc daily and seems to help a little bit. I am trying to stay positive with everything but I am worry not able to get enough water.
This morning took me 25 minutes to have a jello, yesterday took me 2 hours to get 11 oz protein shake down, Is this normal? I was told to drink 64 oz of water a day but can't get 4 oz. down. Will this pass?

WELCOME to the Forum!!! Yes drinking is a problem at first for a lot of people. I was told just "sip, sip, sip" but it wasn't that easy for me. My surgeon kept me in the hospital for a week on intravenous fluids cause I just couldn't get my fluids down. Time will help you, but you must work at getting your liquids in as much as possible. Good luck to you! Maybe others on this Forum have some better advice than I do. I just know to sip as often as possible.

Cheyenne :cool:

Are you drinking straight water? I had a horrible time with water for a while after surgery. Light juice diluted with water (1/2 & 1/2) worked well, so did lipton tea with sweet & low and crystal light. I don't know why that made a difference for me, but it worked. It does get easier, so just keep sipping. Good luck! :)

LauraLeigh, you have done a fantastic job losing weight. You have lost 160 lbs. Absolutely AWESOME!!! Have you lost all of it after surgery? Or did you lose some of it while you were getting ready for surgery? Either way you have really done a Super job! :cool:

Cheyenne

Welcome to the forum. You are doing better than I did 3 days after surgery. What type of surgery did you have? I was told to drink g2 gatorade as a main source of my fluids after surgery. It has more of the electrolytes and stuff that we need. I was told to sip sip sip. If you feel like you are not getting in enough just do what I did I called the doctors office and let them know of my concerns. Come back often there is always new and great info added to the site.

TillieS

Thank you, I had the sleeve. No one warm me about how difficult the days after surgery will be. I am trying to do things by the book but I think I am a little afraid of not knowing. So far I can handle only 11 oz of protein shake but until today no water, today I managed to get water mix with sugar free jello. I do have to force myself to burp right after I drink something because it hurts. Monday I have a dr. appt. I am writing all my questions down for them.
Thank you all

Thank you, Cheyenne. :) No, I lost 83 lbs in the 8 months before surgery. I still have 98 lbs to go, but I was already told not to expect to hit goal in the first year. I feel amazing, so I'm okay with that. One day at a time.

just keep trying different things mixed in your water . sugar free popsicles help also. it does get easier but I learned slow and steady good luck and just listen to your doctors

Try experimenting with different temperatures of fluid. Sometime hot or cold or room-temp goes down easier. I know they told you to drink water, but your body will recognize any fluid when you are trying to not get dehydrated, so count that 11oz shake as fluid intake. Good luck to you. I hope it gets easier.

Just to add to above: remember that so many things count as fluid: sugar-free gelatin, sugar-free Popsicles, your protein shake. I am loving savory items like fat-free broth. Maybe you could try breaking your portions down to smaller sizes. Instead of 11 ounces, try 4 ounces at a time so it's not so daunting. I'm trying to get 4 ounces in 15 minutes.

I am on day 4 post op. I was told to sip all day. One medicine cup of fluid every 15 minutes. Their goal is 64 oz per day where does not seem realistic. I am trying for a minimum of 32 oz a day and increasing. I bought a package of 2 ounce containers at the dollar tree beforehand and my mom is fixing sugar free jello for me in them. Sugar free popsicles have also been good. The first day home i could barely finish one. Taking meds is the worst. I am using grape crystal light type of drink. The dollar tree has several flavors but grape helps me get meds down. I put my pill in a small amount in medicine cup to dissolve, let it set a few minutes and then take. My supplement drink was divided up

I love this post! I still have 90 days till my surgery but I love being prepared. Thanks to everyone for all the great info!

Back