• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

AliciaLaidlaw

Welcome Alicia, this is a great board. Several things come to mind.
1. Take a before picture the day of surgery.
2. Weigh and Measure yourself before going in.
3. Hide the scale or have someone hide it for you for at least a week. (You will gain weight during your hospital stay, all the IV fluids they give you)
4. As soon as they say you can, get up and start walking, as much as you can. (Helps get rid of the gas they pump you full of to see what they're doing.)
5. Remember that the weight didn't come on over night and won't come off overnight, be patient.
6. You will not be able to get all your water and protein in at first, no worries. It will come as you heal.
7. Follow the advice of your Dr and Nutritionist, they've seen it before.
8. If you want to try something and people who've had WLS or your Doc, Nutritionist or other person from the office says don't, you might want to listen. We know what we're talking about. Been there done that.
9. Sip Sip Sip, keep a water bottle with you at all times and Sip Sip Sip all day long, from the very moment they say you can. Hydration is very important (along with protein) it is instrumental in your losing weight.
10. Join a live support group, as well as use this board.
11. When you're a BIG LOSER, keep going to the support group and chatting. Share what's been given to you with those coming along behind you.
12. When you make a mistake, don't think of yourself as a failure, just get back up and start again. Most of us have done that, so don't be ashamed to admit to being human.

There are more, but enough for now. I'll have you in my prayers on Tuesday, good luck and let us know how it went. I hope these help.

Frank

:cool:

Thank you so much for the info.

What is a good protein to purchase. Can I drink the atkins drinks? Still unsure of what to purchase to eat the first few weeks. Any help?

Wow Frank, terrific.

This reminds me to create some word documents with this type of advice that we can cut and paste real quick anytime someone new joins in.

I remember in Weightwatchers I kept all kinds of "canned" files for responses. I cut and paste them and then personalized them to the specific question at hand.

Great list Frank.

Alicia you will do well. Just keep coming here and asking for help. Before you know it you will be helping others.

Ralph

What is a good protein to purchase. Can I drink the atkins drinks? Still unsure of what to purchase to eat the first few weeks. Any help?
Alicia, You should look for a protein drink that is less than 200 calories, less than 10 carbs, and at least 15 Gm of Protein. I rejected Atkins when I looked at it in the store, can't remember why--probably because they mostly focus on low carbs and the protein might not be high enough for the calories consumed.
The first few weeks I found it easier to buy pre-packaged food that is offered on bariatric sites. You can buy protein-enriched anything, including broths and jello which is mostly what you will be eating at first. You will spend some money on that type of food, but trust me, your grocery bill will go down to near nothing.

I buy Isopure protein drink 15g protein, no carbs, 60 calories, 12 ounces. I buy it by the case from Amazon. It comes out to be about 1.70 per 12 ounce bottle.

Also, I buy Premier Protein Shakes, 30g protein, no carbs, 160 calories I think 11ounces or so. Same cost parameters roughly as Isopure. I buy this by the case from Costco.

Isopure. Yummy

Ralph I found Isopure 22oz bottles, 160 calories, 40! Grams protein and 10,240 mg of BCAA's (whatever that is). It cost $4.50/ bottle, or $43.00/12bottle case. I bought Green Apple/Melon, tasted good but a little strong after a few ounces, I think I'd like it better diluted. However I love the grape. The first day I got the Isopure from the Vitamin Shoppe was when I actually went over 80 grams of protein, 83 exactly. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or bad. I've been able to eat my 60 grams of protein through food choices for a couple of weeks now and keep within my 600-700 calorie range. I worry though cuz I'm starting to get into the 700 calorie range so I can add more fiber and my Nut guide wants me at the 600-700 calorie range.

I admit it took me a few hours to drink 22oz, which is weird cuz I drank like a dry camel before surgery, now I get between 50-60 oz fluids,64 on a really good day.

So thank you Ralph for the recommendation. Also WAY TO GO at your dinner party! High fives all around.

Ralph I found Isopure 22oz bottles, 160 calories, 40! Grams protein and 10,240 mg of BCAA's (whatever that is). It cost $4.50/ bottle, or $43.00/12bottle case. I bought Green Apple/Melon, tasted good but a little strong after a few ounces, I think I'd like it better diluted. However I love the grape. The first day I got the Isopure from the Vitamin Shoppe was when I actually went over 80 grams of protein, 83 exactly. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or bad. I've been able to eat my 60 grams of protein through food choices for a couple of weeks now and keep within my 600-700 calorie range. I worry though cuz I'm starting to get into the 700 calorie range so I can add more fiber and my Nut guide wants me at the 600-700 calorie range.

I admit it took me a few hours to drink 22oz, which is weird cuz I drank like a dry camel before surgery, now I get between 50-60 oz fluids,64 on a really good day.

So thank you Ralph for the recommendation. Also WAY TO GO at your dinner party! High fives all around.

Fantastic for you too. I do well with the Isopure.

With respect to protein intake you want to hit your target each day and not get too much protein. Too much protein potentially leads to kidney stones. I have had days when I had up to 120grams of protein but in general I keep it around 80gram mark or 80 to 90 grams most of the time.

Back