• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Almost 6 months post- ways to keep losing

Tokash

My six month check up is coming up the first week of March. Since I started this process this week was the first week I had a gain. I have always had a very slow loss but not a gain. I know part of it is lack of water, messed up eating schedule and then Valentines. I am in an intensive EMDR training all week and its being held in a different time zone which is messing up my meal times.

I had a goal of getting to 170 by my 6 month mark but thats not going to happen. Now what I am hoping for is to simply keep losing until I get to my goal- 150-155ish. The day of surgery i was 226 and am currently 176.

At this point any things that can be helpful to keep losing? Is there such a thing as too much protein? I eat mostly protein and some days go over the 80g- not sure if thats a down fall or not. In a normal week I am trying to stick around 800 calories a day.

You are actually above the "average" weight loss for your starting weight, 6 months out. Remember someone like me who was heavier to start with tend to lose more at first. Be patient and consistent and you will continue to lose. Sometimes it is not at the rate we have hoped but actually is within normal range which is actually healthier and better in the long run. I do not think you need to worry about your protein being too high but you might want to increase your water above what the minimum recommendation is.

You are actually above the "average" weight loss for your starting weight, 6 months out. Remember someone like me who was heavier to start with tend to lose more at first. Be patient and consistent and you will continue to lose. Sometimes it is not at the rate we have hoped but actually is within normal range which is actually healthier and better in the long run. I do not think you need to worry about your protein being too high but you might want to increase your water above what the minimum recommendation is.

What has always been hard for me. I do good to get the 64 in but have been probs only about 48. I am never thirsty and when its cold its even harder to drink. Aside from water the only other liquids I take in is a protein shake and about 8 oz cold brew daily. Since surgery I can not stand the crystal light. I bout hint water to try but thats too weak and put that in smoothies as needed.

You’re within 6lbs of your goal! You’re amazing!! I have trouble getting my water in also, but I think it’s because I never got used to drinking slowly or sipping. I truly miss just being able to chug a bunch of water. A couple weeks ago when I was in a stall I had a very weird stomach episode, thing, happen, and I went back to liquid then soft foods for a couple days. It broke me out of the stall, and helped me see what else I could be doing during the day to increase my liquids. Now I’ll have 8-10 oz of broth for an afternoon snack. It’s not a lot, but sometimes it’s the little things that help the boost. I was attempting to get in 24 oz of water before my morning coffee, and sometimes I can while other times it’s a struggle. I don’t have breakfast until close to 9 most days because I have to wait 1 hour after taking my thyroid meds and Im careful not to eat and drink too close to each other. I know your goal was to lose more, but I think you’re crushing it! You should be proud of what you’ve been able to accomplish.

You’ve done great, Tokash!! Does your nutritionist think you should increase your daily calorie intake? When I was 5 months or so post-op, my calories were increased to 1000-1200/day to prevent stalls etc.

You’ve done great, Tokash!! Does your nutritionist think you should increase your daily calorie intake? When I was 5 months or so post-op, my calories were increased to 1000-1200/day to prevent stalls etc.

I haven't met with the nutritionist since about 3 or 4 months post and she at that point was saying 600-800 but there was no way I could stay down around 600.

My six month check up is coming up the first week of March. Since I started this process this week was the first week I had a gain. I have always had a very slow loss but not a gain. I know part of it is lack of water, messed up eating schedule and then Valentines. I am in an intensive EMDR training all week and its being held in a different time zone which is messing up my meal times.

I had a goal of getting to 170 by my 6 month mark but thats not going to happen. Now what I am hoping for is to simply keep losing until I get to my goal- 150-155ish. The day of surgery i was 226 and am currently 176.

At this point any things that can be helpful to keep losing? Is there such a thing as too much protein? I eat mostly protein and some days go over the 80g- not sure if thats a down fall or not. In a normal week I am trying to stick around 800 calories a day.

As far as protein goes, you probably only need about 0.3xbody weight, which for 176 would be 53g. I don't think it is harmful to get 80g, but it's just not necessary, unless you are doing some serious muscle building and want to support tissue repair, but even then, you probably don't need 80g. As far as calories go, I think 800 is probably a bit low for 6 months. Our bodies don't necessary burn fat faster at lower calorie levels. Eating very low calories can slow things down especially later in the journey, so adding some calories back in might be something to try. I know we like to "cover our ass" and say "talk to your dietician" and such, but there's nothing wrong with experimenting with calories and healthy foods to find the most effective combination for yourselt. I would go so far and say your calories may even be lower than you think. Calorie counting is notoriously inaccurate, and our bodies don't process all foods with the same effectiveness. You may find by adding in some more good foods, such as additional veggies, or other healthy carbs, your body might react in a very positive way, or your body my respond well to some other types of food, etc.

I'm not saying to go all crazy and add in a thousand calories of chocolate cake, of course, I'm talking about good, healthy food choices that you add in a bit here and there and maybe try adjusting your protein/carb/calorie balance for a period of time and see how it goes, and then be willing to adjust again.

Oh, and talk to your dietician. :)

Six months I am green with envy. I am not as attached to a scale and only weigh in at appointments. I do like adding holes to my belt and waist on my pants getting looser. Great job on your journey. The before surgery diet for me was switching from 800 calories one day then 1200 calories the next. It keeps the body guessing.

Six months I am green with envy. I am not as attached to a scale and only weigh in at appointments. I do like adding holes to my belt and waist on my pants getting looser. Great job on your journey. The before surgery diet for me was switching from 800 calories one day then 1200 calories the next. It keeps the body guessing.

I am working on not getting to hard on myself when I dont hit what I want but the scale gives me accountability. I used to have to hide it as I was obsessed with weighing and then beating myself up. Now I weigh myself every Friday morning and am content with that.

I do get boosts from srinking clothes. I am trying to make my sweaters last the season but I got the "look" this morning from my spouse on it being time to get rid of some more clothes. I also need a new belt. A few weeks ago I was able to finally use a belt I had for years but was to short around. Now there is too much excess that it hangs out from my jeans. I recently bought some clearance shorts for the summer and ordered them smaller than my current jeans so they wouldn't be too big and last the summer. I wear means jeans/shirts and ordered a size 30 and they fit perfect at this point so they should be good for summer as I like my shorts lose when its hot and I'm on the lake every weekend.

Hello my name is Dotty and i had the sleeve done Feb 12 of this yr and i cant loose any weight when did you start loosing weight after your surgery if you dont mine me asking TempletonDorothy55@gmail.com

Hello my name is Dotty and i had the sleeve done Feb 12 of this yr and i cant loose any weight when did you start loosing weight after your surgery if you dont mine me asking TempletonDorothy55@gmail.com
Its important to meet with your dietician and surgical team to follow up on what you are noticing. You are not that far out from surgery and everybody moves through the process differently and manu things can impact loss- water, protein calorie level(making sure its enough) and only your team can tell you where you should be and what you should be doing.

I had a loss the first week of surgery and every week after with only recently having one week of a gain. However this isn't the same for everybody. I also lose significantly slower than some averaging 1-2 pounds a week.

I went into my regular doc today for a medication follow up. My 6 month check is tomorrow. Bloodwork looks amazing....only off thing is I have too much B12 in my system.

I had to laugh at them because despite my BMI dropping my 12 I am still considered obese and the system flagged to check for sleep apnea- whichbi have never had in my life. It also made her measure my neck of it despite the fact that all of the "is this a possi ling" questions stated no concern and I was under the radar on everything. I am with in 15 pounds of my overall goal and even then I will be considered obese. They really need to fix the barbie standard.

Had my follow up this morning. My goal by this date was to be at 170 and checked in at 172 this morning. I want to end up between 150-160 so I am almost there. My blood work is amazing...they want the bad cholesterol to be under 140 and mine is at 104. All my vitamins are well within where they want them including zinc which they were surprised due to me recently having the covid shots. My BMI went from almost a 42 down to a 30 in 6 months- which she also added she doesn't really use as a factor. This was nice to hear after the awkward conversation with my PCP yesterday. My pCP was also concerned about high B12, the baritric doc said dont change anything as its normal with a sublingual vitamin. VIT D is amazing as well, especially considering I am in MN.

The doc basically told me to stop counting calories but I need to to keep me on track of what I should be eating. She said at this point I should be between 1/2-3/4 cup food which depending on what I eat i could easily eat more than this which is why calories/weighing out food works better. She did say if I look at calories i should be at least at 1000 if not between 1000 and 1200.

I am likely going to need to go shopping again soon. Just threw a bunch more clothes out of my closet but I am really trying to get buy with what sweaters I have for this winter without buying more. I own 4 pairs of jeans and 2 of them only stay up due to a belt and are getting to the point that I look like a toddler with a dirty diaper. I wear jeans or leggings to work so I need to get more of them.

No weight loss this week but I am not surprised due to the big loss last week and big transition in life with jobs.

Back