• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

another newbie looking for help

Auntygrandma

Hi, I am Karen, user name auntygrandma, I will be having surgery mid to late April, right now I am studying on having the proper foods after. I tried to find a good list on google, not so much. I am so excited to have this as, I have diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, stomach issues, forgetful and tired. LOL is that enough? I have been a healthy eater for way too many years to remember, therefore, I am not happy about my 224 lbs at 5'6" right now, LOL sure would like help in stocking up for "D" day? PS, this is my 1st ever post here... :confused:

Hi Karen, welcome to the forum. There are so many here willing to share information. As surgery gets closer you should have a consult with a nutritionist at which time you should be given most of the information you will need as to what you have to eat, how much, and a progressive diet that will include the amount of protein, which vitamins, minerals. and how much water or fluids you will need after surgery. It will also cover the pre surgery diet as well. This is a journey and surgery is only a tool. You will still have to do the work but it really helps. Good luck. If you look there are lots of sites and blogs that can give you some more information. Every Center is different but there are still general rules we all seem to have. Joy

Hi Karen, Welcome to a great forum, you will get plenty of answers here. First let me say, don't stock up on anything prior to surgery. You'll probably have to do a liquid diet prior to surgery and you'll be using protein shakes, but after surgery you may not like them at all. I made the mistake of stocking up, now I have protein shakes that I can't even stand the smell of. Your tastes will change. Follow Javajoy's advise and make sure you visit with a Nutritionist before surgery. It should be a requirement, but your requirements may be different. Drop in let us know how it's going and ask any questions you may have, because we will answer anything.

:cool:

welcome auntygrandma KAREN as others have told you this site is the BEST there will be receipes and idea's and other's sharing there journey. Like Frank said' you don't want to stock up on many products because your taste buds surely do change. foods you used to like have a different taste at first.I have found some sites are willing to send you "free samples" of there products to try, they might taste good now and after surgery not crave them at all.there is a site thats free that I love going to her site. she had the surgery and went from a size 26 to a 4, she shares endless recipes and idea and tells of products that she uses. I love the sugar free syrups she uses and I found them on amazon and also at walmart. they taste good in coffee and protein mix powders. they come in several flavors. Davinci, hazelnut. white chocolate, raspberry, list goes on.welcome please come back and share your journey with us. Donna (bigtallsis) ps the site is called :Theworldaccordingtoeggface.org it's free

Last edited:
Hi Karen:
I am having surgery in a 2 1/2 weeks. I am in a program that is considered a center of excellence. I have been through lots of classes, appts with dietician, exercise person, medical appts, echocardiogram, had an upper endoscopy to check out my stomach from the inside. I have a therapist that helps people deal with food issues, I will continue working with her post op. I had to lose 8% of my weight before being scheduled for surgery. I start a low calorie diet two weeks before surgery, helps to shrink the liver, making surgery easier for the surgeon. The diet consists of 2 shakes a day, 1 fruit, and a light meal. Very much like one of the many diets I have been on during my lifetime of yo yo dieting. I understand how you must feel, I have a lot of the same things wrong with me too. Take care. Hopefully you will have a great team to help you through the process.
Dawn

Back