• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Anyone else having surgery soon?

I'm due to have mines in October. But I'm struggling loosing my goal weight. I used to look at my 600lb life. I would think to my self," I would do this or that." This journey had been by far one of the hardest I've endured. Alot of mental denial. Emotional roller coasters. Breaking up with food is what I told my self. I think THAT is what is making it harder. I have been going through the phase of. I better eat this now. In a couple of months I won't be able to. Then BOOM. 5lb weight gain. Sister I'm all over the map. Excited, anxious, scared, determined, etc.... I'm excited for you!!! Can't wait to watch your journey to a healthier you

I'm due to have mines in October. But I'm struggling loosing my goal weight. I used to look at my 600lb life. I would think to my self," I would do this or that." This journey had been by far one of the hardest I've endured. Alot of mental denial. Emotional roller coasters. Breaking up with food is what I told my self. I think THAT is what is making it harder. I have been going through the phase of. I better eat this now. In a couple of months I won't be able to. Then BOOM. 5lb weight gain. Sister I'm all over the map. Excited, anxious, scared, determined, etc.... I'm excited for you!!! Can't wait to watch your journey to a healthier you

Girl you got this!

Hey i was just wondering if anyone else is having a surgery soon, and what kind are you having?

I am having mine on 07/06/2020
I just had my surgery this past Monday and I had the Gastric Bypass. Best of luck with your procedure! I was worried about the procedure at first in terms of pain and holding down my "food" post op. Thankfully, when I woke up from the surgery I was pain free. I was walking within 2 hours after coming out of post op and they had me starting to drink water during the night. I was discharged on Tuesday morning and all is going well since then. So far very happy with the surgery itself. The Dr. had me on the liquid diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery (first 10 days went fine then i was dying for regular food) and wanted me to drop 20 pounds, I ended up dropping 23 pounds and since Monday I have lost 7 pounds. Being back on the liquid diet is easy right now. I drink 2-3 Fairlife Chocolate Protein Drinks (much better tasting than Premier Protein IMO), Progresso Soups strained from the noodles or meat, veggies, beans etc. (my wife takes that portion of the soup) and drink water during the course of the day. Prior to surgery I would easily drink 8 diet cokes per day and some water and now I have no craving for the diet coke. I am sure that once i transition to foods that will be something to overcome though and that the real work will start. Once again good luck on Monday!

I just had my surgery this past Monday and I had the Gastric Bypass. Best of luck with your procedure! I was worried about the procedure at first in terms of pain and holding down my "food" post op. Thankfully, when I woke up from the surgery I was pain free. I was walking within 2 hours after coming out of post op and they had me starting to drink water during the night. I was discharged on Tuesday morning and all is going well since then. So far very happy with the surgery itself. The Dr. had me on the liquid diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery (first 10 days went fine then i was dying for regular food) and wanted me to drop 20 pounds, I ended up dropping 23 pounds and since Monday I have lost 7 pounds. Being back on the liquid diet is easy right now. I drink 2-3 Fairlife Chocolate Protein Drinks (much better tasting than Premier Protein IMO), Progresso Soups strained from the noodles or meat, veggies, beans etc. (my wife takes that portion of the soup) and drink water during the course of the day. Prior to surgery I would easily drink 8 diet cokes per day and some water and now I have no craving for the diet coke. I am sure that once i transition to foods that will be something to overcome though and that the real work will start. Once again good luck on Monday!
Thank for all that information. You answered every question i had racing thru my head.

That is great to hear I am so nervous. Less then 24 hours out now I am kinda freaking out a little bit, but I am also very excited. They don't really have me on a liquid diet just a very strict diet. basically low calorie diet, and the only carbs i am getting is through the protein shakes that i am drinking. The premier peach I am starting to not like them though I think its time for a change.

That is great to hear I am so nervous. Less then 24 hours out now I am kinda freaking out a little bit, but I am also very excited. They don't really have me on a liquid diet just a very strict diet. basically low calorie diet, and the only carbs i am getting is through the protein shakes that i am drinking. The premier peach I am starting to not like them though I think its time for a change.
Good luck tomorrow with the procedure! Don't second guess anything and think of the positives and what you will gain back in terms of health and quality of life. Make sure that once you get home that you find a protein drink that you will like. I had tried a lot before my surgery and i used to like the Atkins protein shakes but I am partial to the Fairlife Chocolate Protein because it tastes like chocolate milk and doesn't have the chalky taste or that you have to force it down yet it is the same as the Premier Protein in terms of carbs, sugars, calories and protein just tastes a lot better. Fairlife has one that has a higher protein count but I did not like that one. Once again best of luck and looking forward to hearing how things go when you get out of the hospital.

Back