• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Anyone else having surgery soon?

No it’s really not I just had to wait on my insurance to approve my anti inflammatory but I’m on day 4 and feeling a lot better now and still no anti inflammatory
How painful is it now that your home and moving? My best friends are coming from alaska and Tennessee to help out when I get home. They will be here when I go in. Wanting to know about how bad I'll need them to stay

How painful is it now that your home and moving? My best friends are coming from alaska and Tennessee to help out when I get home. They will be here when I go in. Wanting to know about how bad I'll need them to stay
You will spend the night at the hospital maybe the day after, but your up and moving right after surgery and walking does relieve the pain it’s basically just gas pains, but it will help to have all that moral support around you.

I just had my surgery this past Monday and I had the Gastric Bypass. Best of luck with your procedure! I was worried about the procedure at first in terms of pain and holding down my "food" post op. Thankfully, when I woke up from the surgery I was pain free. I was walking within 2 hours after coming out of post op and they had me starting to drink water during the night. I was discharged on Tuesday morning and all is going well since then. So far very happy with the surgery itself. The Dr. had me on the liquid diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery (first 10 days went fine then i was dying for regular food) and wanted me to drop 20 pounds, I ended up dropping 23 pounds and since Monday I have lost 7 pounds. Being back on the liquid diet is easy right now. I drink 2-3 Fairlife Chocolate Protein Drinks (much better tasting than Premier Protein IMO), Progresso Soups strained from the noodles or meat, veggies, beans etc. (my wife takes that portion of the soup) and drink water during the course of the day. Prior to surgery I would easily drink 8 diet cokes per day and some water and now I have no craving for the diet coke. I am sure that once i transition to foods that will be something to overcome though and that the real work will start. Once again good luck on Monday!
Thank you for sharing I’m having my gastric bypass surgery on July 28. I’m starting my liquid diet tomorrow. I’m a nervous wreck but I’m glad I read your post, I feel better. Thank you

Thank you for sharing I’m having my gastric bypass surgery on July 28. I’m starting my liquid diet tomorrow. I’m a nervous wreck but I’m glad I read your post, I feel better. Thank you
Hello Lulu, now that i am going on my 3rd week post op and so grateful that i had this surgery. I am glad that the doctor had me do a liquid diet prior to surgery because it laid the foundation for post op to continue the liquid diet after the surgery. I would have been a wreck if they did not have me a do a liquid diet before hand and then just say good luck you have to go on a liquid diet post surgery. That would have been a disaster. Since the post when i had mentioned i was down 7 pounds now i have lost 20 from the surgery date and 45 since i started the liquid diet 2 weeks prior to surgery. I hope that you are doing well with the liguid diet, i know the first few days can be tough. Best of luck as you start this new journey and do not overthink things as you get close to the surgery date.

Hey i was just wondering if anyone else is having a surgery soon, and what kind are you having?

I am having mine on 07/06/2020

I am scheduled for a gastric sleeve on 8/17/20. I am from New Jersey and still worried about the surgery, since our state was hit so hard with COVID, but have faith in the surgeon and hospital. I also was cancelled two time so far, so hopefully the third time is a charm.

Hello Lulu, now that i am going on my 3rd week post op and so grateful that i had this surgery. I am glad that the doctor had me do a liquid diet prior to surgery because it laid the foundation for post op to continue the liquid diet after the surgery. I would have been a wreck if they did not have me a do a liquid diet before hand and then just say good luck you have to go on a liquid diet post surgery. That would have been a disaster. Since the post when i had mentioned i was down 7 pounds now i have lost 20 from the surgery date and 45 since i started the liquid diet 2 weeks prior to surgery. I hope that you are doing well with the liguid diet, i know the first few days can be tough. Best of luck as you start this new journey and do not overthink things as you get close to the surgery date.
Sportdad first of all congratulations. You are doing great and should be very proud of yourself, 45 pounds lost already! That’s awesome. As for me It has been a week since I started the liquid diet but I’m really struggling even though my diet has some exceptions because I’m diabetic. I’m having a hard time with the protein shakes since I really don’t like the taste. So how many weeks did it take you to feel comfortable moving around and feeling comfortable. I’m just concern that I won’t be ready to return to work after 3 weeks after my surgery.

I just had my surgery this past Monday and I had the Gastric Bypass. Best of luck with your procedure! I was worried about the procedure at first in terms of pain and holding down my "food" post op. Thankfully, when I woke up from the surgery I was pain free. I was walking within 2 hours after coming out of post op and they had me starting to drink water during the night. I was discharged on Tuesday morning and all is going well since then. So far very happy with the surgery itself. The Dr. had me on the liquid diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery (first 10 days went fine then i was dying for regular food) and wanted me to drop 20 pounds, I ended up dropping 23 pounds and since Monday I have lost 7 pounds. Being back on the liquid diet is easy right now. I drink 2-3 Fairlife Chocolate Protein Drinks (much better tasting than Premier Protein IMO), Progresso Soups strained from the noodles or meat, veggies, beans etc. (my wife takes that portion of the soup) and drink water during the course of the day. Prior to surgery I would easily drink 8 diet cokes per day and some water and now I have no craving for the diet coke. I am sure that once i transition to foods that will be something to overcome though and that the real work will start. Once again good luck on Monday!
Keep us posted on your progress

How is it going?

That is great to hear I am so nervous. Less then 24 hours out now I am kinda freaking out a little bit, but I am also very excited. They don't really have me on a liquid diet just a very strict diet. basically low calorie diet, and the only carbs i am getting is through the protein shakes that i am drinking. The premier peach I am starting to not like them though I think its time for a change.
hey girly! How's it going?

Keep us posted on your progress
So my update now is that I am down 38 pounds since my surgery date and still have 3 days until my one month and overall from when I started the liquid diet pre surgery I am down 61 pounds. Diet wise still doing well and have encountered "post" dumping on 3 occasions. Thankfully these events have not been two bad and I know exactly why it happened. I drank right after I ate. lesson learned there.

That is so wonderful, Sportsdad. Can you even believe that is happening? Pretty soon your obese life will be something you will not be able to believe ever happened to you.
Thanks Dianeseattle, this past week is the first time that I can honestly say that I have not only noticed the difference but felt that difference. I went to put on a dress shirt and my wife actually said that she thought it was too big for me. Sure enough the shirt was so big that it was down to the mid thigh area where before it would have been just long enough to cover my stomach (BARELY)! For one of my kids events this week i had to park in a parking lot that 2 months ago I would have dreaded parking there due to the long walk. I sat in the closest parking lot that I would always park in because it was the shortest distance and would wait up to 30 minutes sometimes to get a spot so i did not have to walk too much. This week I was in the lot that i have feared for the past 3 years. Per my FitBit one way of the walk was 3000 steps so at least with the round trip walk i was able to get in 6000 steps in addition to my usual daily steps. Now down over 47 pounds since my surgery date.

Back