• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Anyone else love to make quilts?

shellwi8

I am passionate about quilting since I started making quilts about 12 years ago. I started an online quilt store two years ago because I love fabric so much, but my health began to decline and I am closing my shop by the end of August to devote all my energy right now to pursuing WLS, losing weight, and regaining health and energy! I also work a very demanding full-time job as a legal assistant. Hopefully, I will add years to my life and be able to enjoy my favorite pass time again someday!

making quilts

Hi Shel I also like making quilts, but during the summer it's just to hot to do. I'm hoping to get my surgery date soon, Good luck Diana

I love to knit, crochet, and do needlepoint, but have never quilted. I always said that I wanted to make a cathedral quilt, but then I found one already pre-made at a very reasonable price, so I bought it. All of these crafts are very soothing even though buying yarn and supplies can be addictive.
Have you ever read the Elm Quilt Creek novels by Jennifer Chiaverini? I love them all (there are probably 14 or 15 of them).

You ladies are so talented!!! I wish I had the patience to do quilting and to crochet. My mom did all of that stuff and apparently I didn't inheret the gene *LOL* I have some beautiful doilies she made for me that I cherish. She even made me a granny square bedspread. It's big enough to cover a king size bed and heavier than you can imagine. I never use it because my taste in colors has changed drastically since the late 70's *LOL* It's orange and brown. I have it safely tucked away in a cedar closet :) :) :)

Hello Shellwi8
I am sooooo glad there is a thread about quilting here. I just didn't scroll down far enough until today, Oct. 6, 2012. I am a newby and I will find out my surgery date on Nov. 9, 2012.

Anyways, I love quilting. I had posted on reading books that I am not much of a reader unless it is about quilting. I have read a few of the Elm Creek series by Jennifer Chiaverini. I have joined a group of ladies in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada that will be making Sylvia's Bridal Sampler is a 140 block sampler quilt made by the characters in a novel, The Master Quilter, the sixth in the Elm Creek Quilts series by Jennifer Chiaverini. I have chosen civil war prints to make my blocks.

I am very active in a quilt guild as program coordinator and treasurer that is supporting Ricky Tims and Alex Anderson coming to Rochester, MI in 2013.

I hope that we can keep this thread going and more will join in to share ideas with.

My "FATS" will be in fat quarters from now on!!! LOL

Quilting is something I've long had an interest in. I consider myself just a bit above novice, a strong beginner, maybe. Haven't done much quilting, per se; mostly piecing. I have made several small wall quilts and collected more than a couple of quilting books. Checked out a local quilt guild a couple of years ago; they didn't seem to have much interest in adding a beginner to the group. Most of them had been quilting for years.

1Stepatatime, you mention bringing Ricky Tims and Alex Anderson to your neck of the woods next year. Bravo!

I love, LOVE fabric!!! I do sew; clothing, home decor and the like. I'm an advanced intermediate in that, I guess. Recently bought a serger and looking forward to learning more about using it.

Other needle arts: I needle tat a bit. Always wanted to learn to tat, tried several times with a traditional shuttle, abysmal failures, all! Needle tatting is more intuitive to me and seems a little like crochet. Now, there's something I do well. Taught myself as an adult and never looked back. Have gifted more people than I remember with afghans, scarves, sweaters, vests mittens, baby clothes, you name it. I participated in a "caps for kids" program for several years, as well as a"preemie garment" program at several hospitals. I crochet both with yarn and with various threads.

Embroidery, needlepoint and Japanese stumpwork. I think ribbon work is beautiful but have done none of it. I'd like to learn kumihimo, Japanese braiding. Good looms are a bit pricey. I don't like the idea of buying a cheap one, only to want/need to replace it later with a good one. And don't forget macrame: I've done rope and cord for jewelry.

I wonder: are there enough quilters here to do any sort of block exchange? So far, I see only three: 1Stepatatime, Karenina, and me. Did I miss anybody?

A block exchange? How does that work? I love quilts. I've made a couple of patchwork ones, though I'm not very good at it. I keep collecting
fabric but then get overwhelmed at where to start. I've had to force myself not to buy anymore until I do something with all that I have. I guess
I'll have to check out this "Elm Creek" series. Maybe it will get my creative juices flowing?!

Hey, mergatroid,

I will defer to 1Stepatatime on this one. I've never participated in a block exchange, just read about them. From what 1Stepatatime says about her quilting background and passion, I bet she has participated in several. Here's hoping . . .

I wonder: are there enough quilters here to do any sort of block exchange? So far, I see only three: 1Stepatatime, Karenina, and me. Did I miss anybody?[/QUOTE]

Nope, I don't do quilting. You misread my post. I recently went to an AQS convention. There were some seriously complicated quilts there.

I would love to be able to quilt. I find it to be kind of tedious and I lose patience pretty quickly. I did make Cathedral Window Christmas ornaments last year and they were really a hit. I can't imagine a whole quilt made like that but they sure are gorgeous.

Oops, thanks for straightening me out Karenina. I bet that was some convention!

It is dianal who quilts. Apologies, dianal, didn't mean to leave you out.

Okay Fellow Quilters....I am ready to start a block exchange. Qaterra has come up with a real positive idea here....now we need to get it started. I am not sure how to
start. I am going to ask some of my quilt guild members how their block exchange works when it is being mailed. I have been involved with one at guild meetings. I have a friend from Canada that belongs to a worldwide group and their exchange blocks.

First we all have to agree on the size block we want to exchange....as an unfinished block it can be 6.5", 8.5", 9.5", 10.5" or 12.5". The block can be any pattern that you love to make and any colors of fabric you enjoy working with. The fabric must be 100% cotton. It is your choice to pre wash fabric or not. Okay...That sounds simple enough...right??? Then once it is determined how many there are of us, for an example 6 people involved then you make 6 blocks all the same and mail out one block to each. In return you will get 6 different blocks. Yes...This is a comittment, but Oh how exciting!

If you would like to be a part of this, please post on my profile page and I will get back to you. Wow...I think this is a great idea and something we can bound together with, plus keep our minds and hands busy in a positive way. Hurray for Us!!!!

Thank you for stepping up, 1Stepatatime.

Yay! We're off and running.

Shellwi8, will you come play, too? Hope so.

Back