• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Band to By-Pass...is anyone out there?

I had a lap band (06/09). Had mutiple complications with it (infection from day 1). Had it removed (07/11). Had RNY (12/11). Weight loss has been slow...wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?:confused:

I've been told that it's my body adjusting but I'm almost a month out and I am stuck at 21.5lbs. I'm eating plenty of protein and incorporating soft foods. I am scared that once i start introducing "real" food I will really slow down. I didn't come all this way to only lose a few pounds. I (vigorously) exercise religiously every day in the hope that I will boost my metabolism. I read posts from people that have reached goal and maybe have gone past it, my doctor says that he thinks I will only reach 200lbs. That's not good enough! My goal is 175. I am trying harder than anyone will ever know.

Any thoughts from anyone? It's starting to get depressing :(

LUVMYBANKSBOYS-Congrats on your weight loss. 21.5 pounds gone in slightly more than a month. That's almost 3/4 of a pound a DAY!!!! That is amazing. Just keep following your meal plan and you will do just fine. It's only been 1 month since your RNY so I don't understand why your doctor is saying you will only reach 200 pounds. According to what I have learned you should continue to lose a significant amount of weight for the first 18 months and can continue to lose after that but at a slower rate. You have 17 months to go before you should be so concerned. Keep up the great work!!!!!

keep on keeping on. you will hit plateus and there is no hard and fast rule as to how fast you lose. sometimes slower is better,it gives your body less of a shock.to recup from.patti

I had surgery (rny) on dec 27, 2011. I went for my one month post op today with the doctor and I have only lost 16 pounds. Doctor said that since I only had 70 pounds to lose that this was good, but I want to lose more too. I stopped doing the protein shakes because they were making me feel sick but he explained that I needed these so I would lose faster. Says I should lose 20 pounds on my three month checkup. Looking forward to that. It sounds to me lie you are doing great. Keep up the good work and eat like you are supposed to. Mindy

I guess I can't count I get 30 lbs 208from238 is right. I have to tell you my exciting news. On the internet is asite called5 day pouch test. I go back to the beginning with liquids for 2 days and soft graduated to regular protein by the 5th day. some of the testimoials are reporting up to a 10 lb weight loss in 5 days. wow wouldn't that boost me uptown!!!! patti

Hi guys,
Many people have revisions because their WLS don't produce the results they expected. I researched all the possible surgeries, deciding on a laproscopic Duodenal Switch from the start. If you want to look into it see DSfacts.com. I am so happy not to have any nausea, no dumping, eat a more normal diet, less chance of regain, weight loss is great.

Plateaus and losses are like a ball going down stairs- very normal. My plateaus have been few and far between, when adhering to my nutritionists advice of aiming for 120g protein( eat protein first), 64oz fluid,under 50g carbs. Sometimes the surgeons who don't do the D.S. over exaggerate D.S. like malabsorbtion( not a problem), bathroom issues,and gas to prospective patients. Eating a high carb( good carbs are allowed) and surgery diet will cause gas and halt to weight loss. Sticking with protein, veggies and fruit, like the Atkins diet is the D.S. diet. High fat foods are no problem since 80% of fat is not absorbed. I eat bacon, sausage, cheese all the time, its encouraged to increase loss !!!! My vitamins and supplements are not too numerous like some think. My daily list- 3 bariatric multi vitamins capsules,Prilosec, AquADEK, iron/C chewies, 6 calcium chewies. My labs are spot on at 6 months post surgery.

My surgeon Dr Kemmeter does revisions to the D.S. in Grand Rapids, Mi. I meet many of his patients in the support/Topic lectures. The D.S.ers have less complaints, if any, and fast early weight loss. I lost 80 lbs by 4 -5 months, 100lbs 6 months. 35 lbs to go to my goal. You may know me from my posting on another site, been answering lots of questions about my happy life with D.S. since the site opened in Dec. I am not selling my surgery, but like to pay it forward to help others make life changing improvements to their health, like I have. My hip arthritis pain has disappeared with my weight loss, allowing me to exercise, improving my energy, toning and weight loss. I am happy to answer any questions about life with D.S.

Sandra ;-)

Back