• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Beginning my journey

Katdpete

Hello all! I just joined because I feel I need support, advice, and friendship from others who have gone through, or are going through, this amazing and difficult journey.
I have my first consultation with a surgeon Monday (Feb 6), and I’m quite nervous and already overwhelmed. The nerves are something else, lemme tell ya! I’ve done SO much reading and research on what to expect, and what Medicaid requires in order for it to be covered. I’m terrified my past psych history and bipolar II diagnosis will keep me from getting this help. I also don’t want to do a full 6-month supervised weight-loss, but I will do anything it takes.
My PCP already had me do blood work, and I did my sleep study last night. I saw a cardiologist last year, and also had an upper EGD done a year ago. So I’m interested to see if I’ll have to do all that again.
I’m pretty sure I will go with the RNY bypass.
I’m past ready to receive help, and put all the work in. Start a new lifestyle.

Hi Katdpete! I had sleeve surgery on 1/9, so am still in the recovery phase. I can relate to feeling nervous. That's great you are feeling ready for more help with your weight loss journey. As far as completing supervised weight loss, I did not find it too invasive as I had already been trying different ways of losing weight under my PCP's and a dietician's watch for many years. The idea is that they want you to make an attempt at losing weight so that your liver shrinks prior to surgery so that the liver does not encumber the surgeon while he is "working his/her magic". If your insurance requires a 6 month supervised weight loss, that is a requirement prior to surgery. I had to do blood work at least twice during my supervised weight loss phase, and then again a few days prior to my surgery date. I also had to meet with a psychologist once prior to surgery. My surgeon's center does not offer any support group meeting until March, and I was relieved to find this site. Good luck with your first consultation.

Hi Katdpete! I had sleeve surgery on 1/9, so am still in the recovery phase. I can relate to feeling nervous. That's great you are feeling ready for more help with your weight loss journey. As far as completing supervised weight loss, I did not find it too invasive as I had already been trying different ways of losing weight under my PCP's and a dietician's watch for many years. The idea is that they want you to make an attempt at losing weight so that your liver shrinks prior to surgery so that the liver does not encumber the surgeon while he is "working his/her magic". If your insurance requires a 6 month supervised weight loss, that is a requirement prior to surgery. I had to do blood work at least twice during my supervised weight loss phase, and then again a few days prior to my surgery date. I also had to meet with a psychologist once prior to surgery. My surgeon's center does not offer any support group meeting until March, and I was relieved to find this site. Good luck with your first consultation.
Thank you so much! ❤️

I started this process In august. Had to have 3 psych sessions, 6 nutrionist sessions, endoscopy, cardiologist clearance, pre op testing. During that time I read everything I could. My date is finally march 7th. I think they make you wait also is so make sure you are committed to the process. Some people may see what they have to go through and say forget it. so glad I found this site. There is so much support from everyone here.

This is a wonderful, supportive site! I was at the beginning of my journey last year at this time. I had bypass in September and I’m doing great! I have so much less physical pain and I’m able to exercise again, and enjoy it! I’m down >70#, and about 6# from goal. Good luck, you will be on the other side before you know it!

I'm just starting. Met with doctor 2/7. Blood work and EKG this morning. Therapist is scheduled for today at 1pm. Sleep apnea test scheduled for 2/23. I feel so lucky to have found this site and will visit often through the process. My sleeve surgery is scheduled for 3/25/23. My excitement is kinda kept in check by all there is to do before hand. From past health issues, I know how important a support group is to personal growth and maintenance. Thanks for being here. I'll be back

I started this process In august. Had to have 3 psych sessions, 6 nutrionist sessions, endoscopy, cardiologist clearance, pre op testing. During that time I read everything I could. My date is finally march 7th. I think they make you wait also is so make sure you are committed to the process. Some people may see what they have to go through and say forget it. so glad I found this site. There is so much support from everyone here.
Hi Karen- my surgery date is also March 7th. It would be great to have a surgery buddy!- Gail

I have to be honest, I am grateful I had to do the 6 month pre-op requirement. I feel like it really gave me a head start toward the post op journey. I had time to adjust my eating habits slowly and lost some weight, too. So by time surgery rolled around, I did not have to adjust to giving up carbonation, caffeine, added sugars, etc etc all at once.

Hello all! I just joined because I feel I need support, advice, and friendship from others who have gone through, or are going through, this amazing and difficult journey.
I have my first consultation with a surgeon Monday (Feb 6), and I’m quite nervous and already overwhelmed. The nerves are something else, lemme tell ya! I’ve done SO much reading and research on what to expect, and what Medicaid requires in order for it to be covered. I’m terrified my past psych history and bipolar II diagnosis will keep me from getting this help. I also don’t want to do a full 6-month supervised weight-loss, but I will do anything it takes.
My PCP already had me do blood work, and I did my sleep study last night. I saw a cardiologist last year, and also had an upper EGD done a year ago. So I’m interested to see if I’ll have to do all that again.
Hi, your cardiologist will need to repeat tests as they are only good for 90 days from my understanding. I don't think your psy issues should prevent you from this journey. I had my bypass last week and it was the best decision i have ever made. You will rock this. Just be patient.

I have to be honest, I am grateful I had to do the 6 month pre-op requirement. I feel like it really gave me a head start toward the post op journey. I had time to adjust my eating habits slowly and lost some weight, too. So by time surgery rolled around, I did not have to adjust to giving up carbonation, caffeine, added sugars, etc etc all at once.
I feel the same way. I gave up sweets and carbs 6 months ago which I think will really help.

I too am Bipolar II, and PCOS. I am at the first stages of this process. I have gone ahead and arranged with some providers ahead of time, to hopefully show my commitment to this. I have 2 letters of recommendation, did my sleep test, blood labs and met with a Nutritionist last week. Im tired of feeling trapped in my own body.

Hi there! I just posted my first time on here. I’m a week from my date, but I began my journey about 9 months ago. I have a history of depression, and take medication for it. I’m currently having some similar nerves about my emotions! I think it’s totally normal to have the thought in the back of your mind about the past, however I don’t think that should have any bearing on your approval. I think whenever we have to look at big changes in our lives, we process through the could haves or might be’s. Because I’ve gone thru my own psych stuff, I’m just more aware of my emotions and my head space. I think it’s great that you are as introspective at the start as you are. I am finding that I’m all kinds of anxiety and nerves now, but I’ve been smooth sailing for the previous 9 months! Honestly, seeing your post just now has calmed my mind and helped me remember that I am a delayed processor. You’re going to do great! Just be open and honest. The rest will fall into place as it’s supposed to. Thank you for your post!

I don’t have a surgery date yet but it will be some time this summer. I am also bipolar and my biggest fear is that my medications will be mal-absorbed after surgery and won’t work as well. Are there any post-surgery bipolar people out there who would want to share their experiences?

Marie, I was diagnosed bipolar and took meds for it that really caused a lot of side effects, including shaking hands, which made it hard to write or draw, two things I do all the time and NEED to do to stay happy. So I decided to stop the meds and go commando.

But as it turned out, my mood disorder was misdiagnosed. I actually suffer from PTSD from "early onset, chronic physical and sexual abuse." That's what the psychiatrist wrote in my medical record. I could choose to medicate, but I decided to use something similar to "cognitive behavior therapy," and I put that in quotes because the therapy, followed to the letter, caused worse problems for me.

I found that taking supplements to balance my nutritional base did more for me. The only Rx I need is something for sleep, as I used to wake up with nightmares several times a night.

Bipolar became a sort of catchall label for a while and didn't honestly address the deeper problems.

But you asked about malabsorption and that's an important concern. First off, you cannot take time-release meds. They go through your body too fast to fully release. Capsules and "painted" tablets are also ill-advised.

If you can take tablets, smash them into powder between two spoons, then mix them into yogurt or some other semi-soft substance. You could use peanut butter but keep it in your mouth and let it melt instead of swallowing it as a clump.

Some meds are best taken at night when you're in a prone position, because they simply cannot go down quickly, so you get the best absorption.

Marie, also be sure to address medication concerns with your surgical team. They have a deep understanding of how the bypass affects the absorption of medication, as well as food.
Are you having the gastric bypass? Because the sleeve does not create a short cut through your digestive tract, so there would be less of a mal absorption issue. Which may be why some people are allowed to take extended release caps.

Always best to double check with the medical professionals either way!

Hi Marie, welcome! Before my surgery, I had a phone consultation with a hospital pharmacist, who reviewed all my medications in advance of my VSG surgery. For a while I had to use a pill crusher for some medications, then for another medication, I had to pour the capsule contents onto a spoonful of applesauce. The surgeon and his PA team also reviewed all my medications ahead of the procedure. If you are concerned, by all means all the surgeon what his/her team procedures are. I hope that will alleviate some of your anxiety.

Back