• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Big Time Night Sweating

robergnm

For about the past 4-5 days I wake up after a few hrs of sleep soaking wet along with all the bedding on my side of the bed.
Does anyone have a clue why this may be happening?
I'm 47, not perimenaposal & have a IUD for birth control.

My husband thinks I wear to many clothes to be & too many covers.
I've tried just wearing a short cotton nightgown with just sheets & a velour blanket.

It has been very hot in Wisconsin lately but we have central air and a ceiling fan on the ceiling almost directly over me.
I'm getting up, putting something dry on & finding somewhere else to sleep but it's not as comfortable as our bed.
I've got my first follow up appt next Tuesday but really cannot keep stripping the bed daily.

Anyone else experience this or have any insight - please reply and thank you.

Sweaty Betty & not happy :eek::confused:

Mary-I didn't have sweating issues after surgery but I am past menopause. I think we go through hormonal changes as we lose weight rapidly because fat does store some hormones and they have to go somewhere. The release of excess hormones also causes us to be more emotional. Protein also causes our metabolism to increase so maybe the increase in protein is also contributing to the sweating. But we need our protein so I wouldn't make any changes there. I was going to suggest lightening up the clothing and using a fan but you are already doing that. The only thing I can think of right now is to try taking a cooler shower just before bed. The danger with that is that it may wake you up and you might not be able to fall sleep.

I have a horrible time staying asleep but it's not surgery related, I've had insomnia going on 4 years now. My doctor thinks it's from my medications. Since I am on permanent disability now I don't have to keep a work schedule so I nap when I can and just work things around whatever cycle I end up on from day to day. I do end up sleeping eventually and sometimes have to change an appointment because of this if it happens during the daytime.

You might want to talk to the surgeon about this to see if he / she can suggest something. I'm thinking it will level off over time but I can relate to the frustration you must be going through.

I was wondering if hormonal changes may be occurring. I was on a high protein diet 2 weeks before the surg so it's been a month + now. Also wondering where & how the fat leaves our body other than urination & defacation. I do have a follow up next Tues & the question is definitely on the list.

As well as many other things, night sweats can be caused by low blood sugar. Try eating something about an hour before bed.

Back