• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Bmi 35-40?

mama0297

Has anybody had a BMI of 35-40 prior to nutrition counseling/physician weight loss diet (with at least one co-morbidity)? How did you lose and still qualify for bariatric surgery or did you get turned down?

I lost some weight, was 275#:BMI-42 now 264#:BMI 40.1, don't get me wrong...it's great! I just think I will rebound (never fails). I am just concerned that on the physician's diet (whatever it's called) I will drop, then not qualify, only to gain again! Any advice or comments appreciated!

I don't think any qualified program would drop you for losing weight before surgery. In fact, it's a requirement in order to shrink your liver and have a safer surgery. Now I have heard of people whose surgeries were aborted or changed because their liver was too large.
I lost 56 pounds by the time I had my surgery for various medical reasons and also because it took me almost 3 years from start to finish and I was following the guidelines the bariatric center set out. No one suggested cancelling my surgery. I had the surgery because I knew I could never maintain the loss.

I don't think your BMI will drop that much. It takes many lbs to drop by one number. I am at 185 and still have a bmi of 31. I started at 330 and was told that if you are needing to loose around 100 lbs you will qualify. Don't stress over losing the weight. Your team will know exactly how much you need to loose to be safe in surgery. they will also know what is required of your insurance. Best of luck

Has anybody had a BMI of 35-40 prior to nutrition counseling/physician weight loss diet (with at least one co-morbidity)? How did you lose and still qualify for bariatric surgery or did you get turned down?

I lost some weight, was 275#:BMI-42 now 264#:BMI 40.1, don't get me wrong...it's great! I just think I will rebound (never fails). I am just concerned that on the physician's diet (whatever it's called) I will drop, then not qualify, only to gain again! Any advice or comments appreciated!

You will be fine.

You qualify even if bmi is below 40 since you have other maladies as well such as diabetes, or high blood pressure or other issues in general.

But again, talk with your Doctor. No, you will not become ineligible if the weight loss was a result of prepping for surgery.

just take it one day at a time that is all of us do and find a good bariactric doctor that is the key thing

Back