• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Burning up

TillieS

Ok got a question. I have been feeling bad for the last few days. My stomach has been having a burning sensation. I will contact my docs tomorrow but, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I have omeprazole that I take everyday and I am taking pepto 4 times a day. I have 2 different meds that I can take for nausea but, this is not nausea. When I eat it is worse. The only thing that I can eat safely with out the burning is crackers. I am wondering if my omeprazole is no longer working. Any ideas???

Hi TillieS, SORRY TO HEAR YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS. I WOULD CALL THE DOC FOR SURE TOMORROW. BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY, i'VE HEARD ULCERS CAN BE A PROBLEM FOR SOME. i ALSO SAW ON HERE THAT WE ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO TAKE PEPTO B.-i DON'T KNOW ABOUT THAT. HOW ABOUT TUMS FOR NOW? LET ME KNOW HOW YOU ARE DOING, OKAY? JAN

I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well. That was the second symptom of my ulcer. The first was strange, extremely loud gurgling after I had eaten.
I don't know about sleeve patients, but RNY patients are not allowed to take Pepto because it has aspirin. I made that mistake and it helped temporarily, but ultimately made my ulcer worse. Check with your doctor. I hope you're feeling better soon!

thank you both for your replies. I was told by the surgeon and bariatric staff before I had my surgery that I would be taking pepto for the first 3-4 months to coat my stomach. I will be calling this morning when they open up.

TillieS

Ok got a question. I have been feeling bad for the last few days. My stomach has been having a burning sensation. I will contact my docs tomorrow but, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I have omeprazole that I take everyday and I am taking pepto 4 times a day. I have 2 different meds that I can take for nausea but, this is not nausea. When I eat it is worse. The only thing that I can eat safely with out the burning is crackers. I am wondering if my omeprazole is no longer working. Any ideas???

Oh Tillie, a burning stomach is how my stomach started out acting when I had gallbladder problems last November. Mention it to the doctor if he thinks it could possibly be your gallbladder.

Cheyenne

I no longer have a gall bladder. It was taken out several years ago. I am just waiting for a call back from the doctors office.

TillieS

I no longer have a gall bladder. It was taken out several years ago. I am just waiting for a call back from the doctors office.

TillieS

Tillie,

I had a very similar reaction to eating beef and developing an ulcer which is also very normal for me. I have a long history of ulcers going back to a young age...

That is when my surgeon put me on Carafate (SP). This helped tremendously.

I stopped eating beef when I had the ulcer and stopped eating beef for almost 6 weeks, tried it again this past weekend and started having the belly issues again..

From what my surgeon and nut both told me, it is not unusual to develop some short term food intolerances which is what seems to have happened to me on top of the ulcer issues.

Start monitoring the foods you eat and seeing if there may be a reaction to something in particular.

I got a call back from the nurse navigator. I will be taking carafate 4x a day. I will also be going to see the GI doctor next week. Stinkerbelle I can't handle beef at all now. It hurts me really badly. So I do chicken, fish and shrimp as far as meats go. It will not be a big deal for me not to eat beef at all. Not looking forward to having an endoscopy but if that is what is needed then so be it. I am allergic to nsaids more a whole lot worse than others. So the pepto that I am taking may in fact be the big trouble maker for me. I just didn't understand why when I kept tell them over and over that I am allergic to nsaids that I was still put on pepto. I guess you live and you learn. I am just glad that the aspirin in the pepto did not do me in.

hey, all. still no word from cc about being allowed to have the by-pass yet. this has been the longest month of my life. but i do have a question, my doc has me on 81mg aspirin because of family history of heart problems, so what will i take after surgery?
please keep me in your prayers, that the cc team hears and listen, as well as learn about my mental disorder so that i can have the by-pass surgery.
thanks all.

I got a call back from the nurse navigator. I will be taking carafate 4x a day. I will also be going to see the GI doctor next week. Stinkerbelle I can't handle beef at all now. It hurts me really badly. So I do chicken, fish and shrimp as far as meats go. It will not be a big deal for me not to eat beef at all. Not looking forward to having an endoscopy but if that is what is needed then so be it. I am allergic to nsaids more a whole lot worse than others. So the pepto that I am taking may in fact be the big trouble maker for me. I just didn't understand why when I kept tell them over and over that I am allergic to nsaids that I was still put on pepto. I guess you live and you learn. I am just glad that the aspirin in the pepto did not do me in.

Tillie, I am so sorry your going through this... The Carafate is awesome. The first few doses I took made certain spots in my belly feel some burning, that was the Carafate coating the irritations. This only lasted about 2 days then all was great.

I am able to eat shrimp, salmon, boneless pork, chicken, crab, most fish with no issue... I do use my pressure cooker or my George Forman a lot when making chicken, it makes the meat very moist and very tender and easier to tolerate.

Try eating some boneless pork loin that has been marinated in Italian dressing or the Adobo with saffron seasoning then wrapped in several layers of aluminum foil and slow roasted.. The texture is awesome and satisfies the chew and feels the belly nicely with little issue.

I don't know where your at on portion size, I have to vary my portions on a daily basis depending on the mood of my pouch and when I decrease my protein portion size I have to add a protein shake to make sure I am getting my protein numbers for the day.. I range from 1.5 ounces of protein with 1 ounce of fruit or veggies. per meal to 2.5 ounces of protein per meal with 1.5 to 2 ounces of fruit, veggies or complex carb per meal depending on how my pouch is behaving... I have learned to take it all in stride.
The big clue for my pouches behavior is the hiccupping or the feeling that I am going to reflux.

I have also learned that having a cup of hot tea or broth about 10 minutes before eating helps a lot as well.

I am also in the process of changing vitamin brands, I am going back to the chewable. I have found that my pouch fills up very quickly when I take all of my supplements in the morning and evening which has caused some irritation and hiccups due to the irritation.

If you get the hiccups while eating, STOP and wait a few moments (5 minutes) before taking another bite. The hiccups indicate your pouch is not happy and needs to rest for a few minutes..

Honey this all a learning curve that can be and is sometimes frustrating as hell...
Kind of like men and teenagers, LOL, As soon as you think you have the answers your pouch changes the questions on you...

Patience, patience and more patience.. Re-read your pouch owners manual, the one your surgeon and the team gave you again and again...

Take a deep breath and know it gets better with time.

hey, all. still no word from cc about being allowed to have the by-pass yet. this has been the longest month of my life. but i do have a question, my doc has me on 81mg aspirin because of family history of heart problems, so what will i take after surgery?
please keep me in your prayers, that the cc team hears and listen, as well as learn about my mental disorder so that i can have the by-pass surgery.
thanks all.

I also have a family history of heart problems and my Cardiologist has me on aspirin daily. My bariatric doctor and primary care doctor agree on this. It hasn't bothered me at all but I always eat right after taking my pills so it doesn't hurt my tummy. As a general rule aspirin shouldn't be taken for general pain relief or headaches etc. after bariatric surgery.

Cheyenne

Tillie, I'm so sorry you are having problems again. Please keep us posted on your progress. Btw how is your back anything more? Gosh I hope you feel better soon. Hang in there were all routing for you. Kt

Dear jduffy Weclome to the support group !! Hang in there~! It is a long process to go through. I can understand your feelings. I am two months out of RNY and it seems like so long ago when I was where you are now. It's well worth it when all is said and done. I'll share my case with aspirin but your doc;s advice always comes first. They (your team), will encourage you to discuss everything on your mind. So, I was on an adult dose aspirin pre-op as a preventative. Now I am put on a child's dose to be chewed. But check with your doc for sure.
Good hearing from you, stay in touch. Jan

Back