• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

buying new clothes

Kim M

When I started, I was wearing sz 24 pants and 3x in tops. I had clothes to sz 18 and 1x from all the yo yo dieting. I had to buy clothes for winter so I purchased 5 pair of pants in sz 16 and xl tops. A new season is amost here and my clothes are too big again. I went out and bought 5 pair of pants and 10 tops. I work so I have to have appropriate things to wear. My dilema is did I buy things to early? I actually went from a 16 to a 12 in pants so I think I will be okay as my weight loss has slowed down. The tops are a large and medium. I still want to lose weight, but considering it is coming off slower I thought I would be okay. Would be interested to know how everyone is handling this? I bought on sale, but still this is getting expensive. I guess it was not an issue before because I had clothes in numerous sizes.

Kim-The good thing is eventualy you will be at a steady weight and will no longer have to keep buying clothes because of fit. I am in desperate need of new clothes but keep putting it off for the most part. I have bought some but just enough to keep a few changes on hand. I can get away with this because I am no longer working and don't go out much at the moment. have you considered altering your clothes? Top are easy. Pants are more difficult but by adding some vertical darts from the top of the waist doen inot the upper hips is easy as is taking in the legs. You can also take in the butt by sewing up the back seam as long as the pants do not have matching French seams on the legs. What ends up happening with pants is the height from the crotch to the top of the waistband gets too long to wear; this alteration is almost impossible to do unless you re-cut the pattern which is best left to a professional and is usually not worth the price.

Some people buy from second hand stores until they reach goal. I will probably do this within the next 2 months when I will be going outdoors more and need some decent fitting clothes. Last summer I lost my shorts while working in my yard *LOL* I promptly started taking in my clothes but still didn't get to all of them. I ended up buying new shorts because of the distance between the crotch and waistband getting way too long. I was rolling them up for a while but ended up getting a few new pair. It was a good feeling. Besides that some of my nieces were making comments about my baggy clothes. I think they're a bit jealous *LOL*

I would go to Goodwill, or if you have a Hope Chest. At least for awhile. When you notice you slow down, or reach your goal weight, then splurge on some New Clothes.. It will make you feel good!

I have found some lovely things at Goodwill, and Salvation Army for use in the interim. I always keep at least one good pair of black slacks (bought on sale) then I also got some blue and brown on sale. Some bariatric centers have a clothing exchange a couple of times a year. Fortunately, my neighbor has lost some weight and I was the recipient of her clothes which are really nice and have been a Godsend. I never pay full price for anything. I will wait until there is a good sale at a major department store and pick up a few things. I was so proud of myself last week - I bought a couple of Alfred Dunner items and one blouse for a total of 18 dollars. I usually am never that lucky and having lost weight has helped and the clothes are so much prettier too. Look for sales, pick up a few things at used clothing stores (we have several in our area) and good luck as you continue on your journey. Joy P.S. A few things from Kmart, Walmart, and Target help out too for in between. Dress these up with accessories or fancy tops.

Having same problem. Had some smaller sizes but none for the size I currently am. Bought a pair of jeans in December which are now too big. Bought another pair a couple of weeks ago that are starting to get "baggy in the butt" already! I'm very tall so buying pants at least from second hand stores doesn't usually work for me. Looking forward to warmer weather when capri lengths/shorts/sundresses will be easier to find and afford! In the meantime, trying to only buy what I absolutely have to have.
The weird thing is I have quite a few things from my largest size and my smallest size (not there yet) but nothing in the current size...makes me wonder what I was wearing when I was gaining all this weight????

Kim,

When I weighed about 200 I had about six pairs of pants that fit great. Then I gained to my highest weight and couldn't wear them. Then I had my surgery and lost back down to 200 and you know what? The pants no longer fit. My body shape was different and I had lost about 1 1/2 inches over the years so they were even too long. So, that is when I had to go buy something to wear. The two pairs of pants I did buy no longer fit now. I found jeans at Goodwill and have the opposite problem of you. I am so short that I have to hem everything. It is just as hard for tall people I am sure. I have to buy all my clothes in the petite departments and they are slightly more expensive too. That is why I hit the sales. Another thing I have noticed is that even when I don't lose my body shape changes and therefore the size of clothing is changing too. It must be all the protein. So that could be what happened to you and why you have nothing to wear at the size you are now. Joy

Now I love to shop and its like I have so many new stuff. I was a 24-26 and now and 8. I donated all my old clothing to the Y and they took them to the womens shelters

I going to give away one of my "super secrets" for those who used clothing is of no issue. I look at it, the same as buying in a thrift store or at a garage sale. On Ebay if you will search "lot women's pants size ??", you can buy quite a few pair for a cheap price and sometimes free shipping. You can do this not just for pants, but for any article of clothing. The work LOT is the key. Please check this out, I got a package on it's way as we speak!!

I shop at the Goodwill!! I have found lots of good finds there.. I also have friends that give me their hand me downs. I feel that until I get to my goal weight it's just cheaper to buy second hand. Don't get me wrong there are some things that I have bought brand new, but I try not to spend too much because I know I can't afford it. I went from a size 24 to a size 12. So Buying new all the time isn't an option.

Thanks for the tips. Now the 12 pants and large tops are too big. I brought things too soon as this was going to be my summer clothes. I will try hot water and the dryer. I did buy some tops in a medium which fit well. I purchased a swimsuit last week and went with a medium. When I received it, it said 8-10 and I did not think it would fit. It did! My weight loss has slowed losing only 10 pounds in 2 months. When I was larger, 10 pounds would not have made a difference in my clothes size. I guess this is my learning curve. Going to check out e-bay. Thanks again.

I bought used clothes and what not's. But now I am at goal I love to shop. I no longer cry and feel bad all day long. Also I was lucky, there is a church who gives clothes away. We are talking donated from stores and private people. I still go there and get things as they have everything. I have beautiful clothes shoes and under wear. Always donate your clothes you out grow to homeless center or the local Y's who will get them to abused women's shelters. And you know its great to wear pretty clothes, I always wore ugly dark colors and tried to hide. But as you lose there are ways to get what you need. Anyone living near me in Dayton, Ohio? I attend Tuesday support group at Miami Valley. Or contact me at my e-mail if you want information about clothing places. Hugs, to all/
Ang:)

Back