• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Caffeine question

All doctors have their own guidelines as far as caffeine. Since I had my surgery during the summer, and it was a hot one here, I just stopped drinking coffee until the weather turned chilly. So probably didn't have caffeine for about 3 months. Just keep in mind that it is dehydrating and because of that some doctors say don't count it towards your water intake. Now I limit myself on caffeine, if I want to have one of the Premier Caffe Latte shakes, then my cup of coffee that day will be decaf. Otherwise I will either have a half-caf K-cup or if I really need it the hi-test stuff.

Premier Protein Cafe Late is awesome especially over ice. My Dr didn’t have any issues with me drinking them even with the caffeine. I’m not a big coffee drinker in the first place except during fall with the Starbucks PSL I started drinking them my post op 2nd week
I have noticed that all the dr teams are different with their views and protocols doesn’t hurt to shoot an email or make a call and ask.

All doctors have their own guidelines as far as caffeine. Since I had my surgery during the summer, and it was a hot one here, I just stopped drinking coffee until the weather turned chilly. So probably didn't have caffeine for about 3 months. Just keep in mind that it is dehydrating and because of that some doctors say don't count it towards your water intake. Now I limit myself on caffeine, if I want to have one of the Premier Caffe Latte shakes, then my cup of coffee that day will be decaf. Otherwise I will either have a half-caf K-cup or if I really need it the hi-test stuff.
So question: My nutritionist told me I needed to give up caffeine forever. But it seems that you do drink caffeine on occasion. It does not bother you?

So question: My nutritionist told me I needed to give up caffeine forever. But it seems that you do drink caffeine on occasion. It does not bother you?
This really does vary from doctor to doctor and or nutritionist. I was never told to give it up but rather limit it. Also it is acidic so that is another consideration. But I seem to be doing well 6 months out from VSG with having 1 cup a day of caffeine. I don't have any GERD from it and I make sure I don't count it towards my water intake.

My dr was more concerned with NOT drinking carbonated drinks then caffeine drinks.
again, I’m not a big coffee drinker so I’m not drinking 24oz coffees and couple times a day if that was the case my dr said he would advise me differently. I have no problem with the caffeine in the premier protein shakes at all.

The main reason to stay away is the acid issue. I now have acid reflux post surgery and can really only handle one cup of coffee a week. Thankfully since surgery i have really lost my like for coffee. I can drink these protein shakes without issue but couldn't do so without my stomach rejecting it for about 3 months post.

I've had one cup of coffee daily for the last 50 years. The only time I wouldn't have coffee would be when I was unconscious or dead. My doc didnt deny me anything.

The post-op diet/daily plan is more about inclusion, not exclusion. The focus was on a core built of proteins and fats, with an absence of mass quantity of carbs.

My experience was that by shifting focus, I drastically excluded a lot of carb-heavy foods. The less I ate, the less desire I had for them. Ultimately, it got to the point where the very thought of an old binge food would nauseate me.

I forgot to say, even scientific practitioners have bias. Like, if i said i have scaley elbows, they might say, "thats because you drink coffee," or if I said I noticed a gray hair, "you got that from coffee."

Those are silly examples, but I'm sure others have had unqualified, subjective true believers take their inventory, yes?

Wow! The medical community really differs on their opinions, don't they? My nutritionist also said no coffee, ever. (AS IF!!) Not only due to the caffeine, which is a diuretic, but also due to the acidity of coffee, which can be an issue since we're now more prone to ulcers. So, I waited until I was able to go back to regular foods, which was week 6 for me. The reason you have restrictions those first few weeks (liquid/puree/soft) is to allow your stomach to heal, so I figured it was best to wait until I was fully healed before trying to add coffee.

Wow! The medical community really differs on their opinions, don't they? My nutritionist also said no coffee, ever. (AS IF!!) Not only due to the caffeine, which is a diuretic, but also due to the acidity of coffee, which can be an issue since we're now more prone to ulcers. So, I waited until I was able to go back to regular foods, which was week 6 for me. The reason you have restrictions those first few weeks (liquid/puree/soft) is to allow your stomach to heal, so I figured it was best to wait until I was fully healed before trying to add coffee.
I agree. My surgeons office says to limit to 16oz of caffeine per day. They even recommend it when you’re mildly constipated since it’s liquid and will stimulate the intestines.

I've mentioned this before, but cold BREW coffee has less acid that hot brewed coffee. You can buy cold brew or make your own. Basically, you are "steeping" coffee grounds in cold water for like 12-24 hours. With this concentrate, you can then heat it or drink it on ice. By not brewing it with hot water, there is less acid. I was told three months before I could have caffeine and now I drink cold brew or the delightful Fairlife coffee shakes! Fairlife was my savior when all other shakes made me ick.

Last edited:
I drank caffeine free, low acid coffee for the first 3 months. I wanted to be sure things were nice and healed up, but I drink my regular brew now, one, two or three cups a day. If you didn't have issues before surgery, you probably won't have issues after. It just depends on your stomach/pouch and if there is any tendency towards ulcers or poor healing after surgery, I would imagine. As with anything you are adding back into your diet after surgery that you aren't sure about, consider getting some advice from your bariatric team and if you don't, just approach it with small steps/moderation and see how things feel and how your body reacts.

Back