• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

calorie intake pre-op

NanaG67

What did everyone have as a requirement for pre-op diet?? I haven't even gotten 500 calories today, checked my sugar it was 68

I was given a presurgical diet to follow; it was 1,300 cals/day for a female loaded w/protein and really not difficult to use as you could interchange things.
It's designed to shrink the size of your liver before surgery plus if you follow it I don't know how you can't possibly lose weight.
It was given to me with the information we received in this huge bound book.
We also had a mandatory appt with a dietician beforehand how was great with tips and addressing concerns I had with eating and drink pre-op.

I'm not sure how your program is set up but there are quite a few members that handle the bariatric area so a call generally gets me to someone for assistance.

Hope you are able to find something in the information you may have been provided or are able to get the information by placing a call.
I'm not sure how your program works but I would think that they have something to guide you.

Best wishes for success.

Mary

My pre-op liquid didn't have any calorie requirements. There was a list of acceptable items to drink and I was allowed to have as much as I wanted as long as I maintained an acceptable blood sugar range. Since I was a diabetic I had to avoid the sugary stuff like clear fruit juice. I noticed your blood sugar is below 70. If you haven't contacted your doctor yet you better do it, NOW. I'm sure he / she has a 24 hour answering service, do not wait for the office to open, this is just not acceptable. I'm sure you know what the consequences are if your level gets too low. In addition, you may not be able to have surgery as scheduled if you are not able to keep yourself stable so don't mess around with this.

Hi Nanna,I was on a 1000 to 1200 calorie a day the month befor e and the week befroe was all liquid with the same calorie count. Your blood surgars are crashing you should get some orange juice or apple juice in you and do like Pat has said and call your doctor, 68 is getting to low. Please call. Tom

No worries, I drank some orange juice today, I was gone all day with my daughter, she was having out patient surgery to have her gallbladder removed. Everything went well.

I was told by a friend who had WLS she said to have some sugar free jello. My blood sugar did go up this afternoon but it wasn't very high, but it was above 120...Also another of my surgeon's patients contacted me and told me that I didn't have to just do broth that I could have creamy soups, until the day before surgery, then it's clear liquids only.

I did send the office a message, just waiting to hear back.

Back