• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Can not decide.. Lap Band vs Gastric Sleeve.

mezahluna

I have a decision to make ... I am about a 39 BMI, 53 year old female with Sleep Apnea, Onset Diabetis, Joint Problems and High Cholesterol. I definitely do not feel comfortable getting the Y Roen Bypass surgery. I need to choose between the sleeve and the lap band. Now for the really complicated part, I am a Chef. I need to taste a wide variety or recipes. I need to taste each dish before it leaves the kitchen for quality. It is not acceptable to dump from swallowing certain items, nor is this appetizing, most of all this will leave me incapacitated for some time and unable to taste. In a busy kitchen this is not a good practice. Nor is tasting and spitting out the food. This is not a sanitary practice. So what I need is to talk to a chef that has had the surgery. Are you out there?

Hey meza. I guess I am the closest you will get right now on this site. The group is a bit young. Hard decision. This is a long one...so bare with me..there's a point to it...I promise.

I'm a 54 yr old female with no current physical problems. yeah! Prior to surgery I had sleep apnea, diabetes, high cholesterol, ortho issues, enlarged heart, kidney disease, asthma, anemia, and a couple more embarrassing issues.

I almost hesitate to respond to you. Chain of command thing. I have only worked the line, never having expedited. I am sitting here thinking, OMG, she's a much better chef, how do I say this without offending her. I can't believe I'm worried about offending someone I don't know who she is and she doesn't know me. LOL.

I am a home chef. Self-taught. I have worked in kitchens on the line, waitress, and front of house. I was enrolled in the CIA before surgery but withdrew before I did anything with it. I have wanted to finish it up but just about a year ago decided it's something I just couldn't do.

I am 2 1/2 years post op. Would I change my decision? Nope. I had to do it. And if you have gone from 316 down to 267 on your own, I don't think you need the RNY. You seem to have what it takes to lose it another way. I am absolutely impressed you have lost so much. I was hopeless and couldn't lose it. When I did lose, poof, I would gain it right back. That said....here are my thoughts and reasoning (all based on my own post-op experiences).

Your taste buds change after RNY. The pallet is clean. It's like a new slate. I would think with the sleeve they would as well. But it's for the good. Put a can in front of me and I will pitch it right back at ya. Canned foods I find disgusting..a plus for a chef.

My sense of smell is unbelievably sensitive. This has proven good and bad. As you know, in a working kitchen the different smells can become intense. I have only felt sick to my stomach when sampling something and sampling TOO MUCH. I had to learn to stop at a sample (as a waitress) and a taste (on the line) even when it was amazing. When I am stuffed to the gills (my pouch is still only 3oz), the very smell of food makes me ill. My fix...stop eating in the kitchen and stick to "tasting" as needed. I have never worked in a really fast-moving kitchen.

I can fix and taste anything and I don't have any problems. Sauces and soups are difficult for me. Many people post-op seem to become a bit lactose intollerant.

Dairy and Fat. Horrible for my body. I can't handle either very well. Again, tasting is fine. I just can't eat them.

Another thought. The following comments come from being under the microscope with my surgeon and nutritionist for several months because of excessive 'dumping'. So I'm not just tossing something out I've heard. This will forever be a part of my recovery process:

Dumping vs. Diahrrea

What I thought for over a year and a half was alot of dumping was in fact diahrrea. I never reported it as anything except dumping because I just plain didn't understand what dumping is. Dumping is caused when a food that your body can't process is spit out. We learn quickly what we can and can not consume. I was dumping daily. Dumping EVERYTHING. I hated lettuce. Couldn't understand why it I couldn't hold romaine or red leaf in me but both just passed right through me. Who dumps on lettuce? But I never questioned it til about July of this year. My quarterly blood work was horrible. My primary doc called and actually said to make an appointment with her. After I saw her and we went over my results I scheduled an appointment with my nutritionist. My potassium level was 3.2. And I had just been approved for plastic surgery. I was told nope, no sugery til potassium is up again and if it went any lower I would be in the hospital attached to an IV.

When I visited with the nutritionist we went over vitamins I was taking. Yep, I had them all. I was severly anemic, potassium was too low, Vit C was almost non existent, Vit B1 was barely on the charts, Vit D was dangerous level. I was pronounced "malnutritioned". I had no clue what was wrong. So step by step we went through daily routine and eating. I casually asked, "could it be the dumping?". She shot a look at me so fast and said...what dumping, you don't eat anything to dump?

I fessed up to diahhrea every day for the past year and not being able to keep anything in me including the potassium pills. She went and spoke to the surgeon and he wanted to see me. He fit me in and that started this long research period....colonoscopy (gross) and more tests. At the end of that initial visit he was perplexed and told me try to add a little bit of fiber in my daily intake. Buy some powdered fiber on the way home. Take it daily. Set up the colonoscopy and he'd see me in the OR.

2tsp a day of fiber..one morning, one evening and a week later, it stopped. I did have to have mega doses of Vit D for 3 weeks and I'm now permanently on liquid potassium, but I can eat any dang thing I want. I can even taste dishes with dairy without any ill-effects. Tasting sauces is fine. Actually saucing my own plates (what I myself eat) is still a bit of a challenge. I just have to be very very careful.

Dumping should not occur with tasting. I have never had it when preparing a dish. I do have it if I choose to endulge and eat a meal of what I have prepared IF and only IF it is something my body can not handle.

I chose to withdraw from the field out of fear. You are the first Chef I have met that has considered WLS. Just typing this message to you is bringing out that desire to return to the kitchen. I guess once it's in us, it never leaves.

Feel free to send a private message if you want to continue talking or have any questions on anything I've mentioned. I can slip you my email as well.

As far as sleeve vs. band. Looking at the amount of weight you have lost, it doesn't seem that one would be more difficult for you. From what I've been told by a few I know that have had the band, it has to be adjusted from time to time. I have no clue how that works but the thought of continued maintenance on it would turn me off to that option. The sleeve just basically cuts the size of your stomach so you still are able to consume small but normal sized meals. Those I know who have had the sleeve are all sorry they didn't have the RNY. Have you spoken with a surgeon yet? I have my next visit on Monday, I will ask a few questions and pick up some documentation on the sleeve and the lapband. Maybe some of it will help you make your decision.

Take care and best to you.

Letrell

Wow what a dilemma. I am not a chef but I love to cook and taste test whatever I make. I attend a support group with both R-N-Y and Sleeve patients, I have the R-N-Y but the folks with the sleeve say they experience dumping , you may want to attend a banding support group to find out if they have dumping. As far as a taste test goes you may be able to incorporate this into your diet. After my surgery I had to force myself to eat and when I did eat it was 5 very small meals with a protein shake or two so I would get enough calories and protein. There will be some foods your body will not be able to tolerate mine are Pasta, Un-toasted Breads, and anything loaded with sugar/corn syrup. One other thing that I have noticed is that not all foods taste as good as they did before my surgery. I just found this site today but I will bring this up at my next support group meeting. Good luck.

Welcome TwoMas!

Since you have joined this topic, question for you. After reading my experience with the dumping/diah. issue...do you have the same issues? Are you able to taste without dumping? I can handle pasta, but it depends on the sauce how much. Generally I take 2 or 3 bites and just stop. Toasted Bread wins over un-toasted any day. My body doesn't like it out of a bag. I do my own baking most of the time. Just like you, sugars really bother me.

I can't eat canned anything since the surgery. If it's fresh, I can have it with no issues. Amazing, isn't it?

Am anxious to hear your comments.

Letrell

Letrell,
I can handle very small bites of pasta the equivalent to a taste I, sauses I can handle, I do ok with pizza but stay away from the crust (pizza's not the healthiest), the only canned food I ever eat is refried beans. So far a taste of food does not bother me but I have learned not to eat what my body can not tolerate.

The fruits and veggies I eat are always fresh or flash frozen and fresh veggies whichever is on hand, nothing lasts long enough to keep fresh stuff around unless I want to run to the store every other day. I stick with corn or wheat tortillas that are toested instead of bread, I enjoy baking but I take most of what I bake to my kids and grandkids because it would go bad if I kept it.

As far as dumping and diahria my bowles get active after I eat sometimes but there seems to be no ryme or reason to it I eat a lot of hispanic type dishes because they go with tortillas and include a lot of proien with some veggies and it is easy to prepare. I am still finding out what makes me dump traditional past, surgars and white bread are the worst, but I can handle some toasted breads, potatoes, rice, corn, and rice noodles in 1/4 to 1/2 servings. So far my blood work has been good I have a year and a half in.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

You're welcome.

It sounds like you and I are pretty much alike in how are bodies are handling things. It eases my mind a bit to see someone else's body responding the same way.

I'd love to hear what others say. But if you go by the first two responses, I'd say being a Chef really is okay, one just has to watch quantities.

Way cool.

Be safe.

Letrell

Back