• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Christmas Dinner

JudyNY

Hi everyone! Still trying to decide what I will make for Christmas Eve and Christmas Dinner. Right now I am leaning toward Lobster Bisque Soup and Crab Legs for Christmas Eve and Cornish Hens for Christmas Dinner. I usually make a ham and sweet potato soufflé but since it is only two of us, that is too much food. Would love to know what others are planning to make.

We’ll be at my in laws for Christmas Eve and my grandmother in law makes a huge turkey dinner with all the sides. For lunch at my house we’re having steak, twice baked potato, brussel sprouts, and roasted carrots. Christmas dinner at my moms will be chili and I’m making broccoli cheddar soup. I’m already full just thinking about all of it!

I think you just gave me ideas. I was planning to make steak, green bean casserole and mashed potatoes. I will be doing Christmas with my mom and sister on 1/2 and typically she makes turkey, ham, potatoes, stuffing and corn. If I am feeling motivated I will make cranberries and green bean casserole to bring over. However, on Thanksgiving I made homemade donuts and brought them over. They were a hit and requested to be made again by all the kids so I will like do that. We also usually bring pickle roll ups for snacking as we play games in the evening.

On a normal year, I have my entire family, aunts/uncles, cousins, in laws, everyone's kids and boy/girl friends. So I normally have pizzas and make another dish, like beef sandwiches, a lasagna or stuffed cabbage plus appetizers. Since I'm scaling it down this year I'm thinking of making a more traditional Christmas dinner of Ham. So, Judy, if you'd like to share your recipe for sweet potato souffle, maybe I'll add that!!

I would be happy to share it, but it isn't low calorie by any means. I don't know if Swerve brown sugar could be substituted.

SWEET POTATO SOUFFLE

3 lbs sweet potatoes
2 eggs
1/2 brown sugar (1/4 cup can be used instead to cut down on how sweet it is) *
1/2 c melted butter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
Small amount of orange juice to moisten as needed

Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar (1/4 cup can be used instead) *
1/4 cup melted butter
2 cups pecan halves

Peel and cut up sweet potatoes. Boil until tender (approx 30 minutes). Drain and place in large mixing bowl. Mix drained potatoes and eggs with a mixer until mashed potato consitancy. Add 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup melted butter, salt and cinnamon and add just enough orange juice to make it moist and fluffy. Place evenly into casserole dish.

Add pecan halves neatly on top of potato mixture to cover in a single layer. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup brown sugar and drizzle with 1/4 cup melted butter.
Bake 375 for 20 minutes.

Note, the original recipe called for 1/4 cup of brown sugar in the potatoes and 1/4 on the topping but one year I accidently used 1/2 cup and my husband loved it so much he didn't want me to go back to 1/4 cup. So do whatever you prefer!! Also, this isn't a true soufflé so don't expect it to rise like a soufflé would.

Thanks Judy! Sounds yummy. I am finding that brown sugar substitutes aren't fantastic, but you can use sugar free pancake syrup instead so I'm going to try that!

Thanks Judy! Sounds yummy. I am finding that brown sugar substitutes aren't fantastic, but you can use sugar free pancake syrup instead so I'm going to try that!
Oh wow, please let me know how that works out! I would think it would be fine in the potato mixture but for the toping I'm not so sure. The brown sugar helps the nuts carnalize and gives a slightly crunchy topping.

It's a great day for baking. I just made these Keto Snowball Cookies. Recipe here:

How were they? I make the regular version every year for my cookie boxes that go out to everyone. They are a huge hit and my personal favorite. I was/am planning on not making them at all, since I know I can't resist them. But if these are good, I might go ahead and make myself a batch! :D

Judy all of that sounds good!!

I do most all of the holiday / family gatherings cooking. I'm expecting about 30 people - friends and family. This is my favorite time of year. I'm ready to see all my children and their spouses/partners/significant others and dear family friends!

Christmas Eve Appetizer Menu:

Veggie tray - tomatoes, broccoli, mushrooms, cucumbers,
zucchini
Mini crab cakes
Cheese / Cracker Tray
Cheese balls - my mom makes these - sooo good!!!
Cheese straws
Varied veggie dips
Crab Rangoon dip
Mini egg rolls

Christmas Eve Dinner Menu: We do this at my parents home. It's easier for them not to have to walk/drive to my home.

Pineapple bourbon brown sugar ham
Turkey breast - cooked in the smoker
Pork Ribs - cooked in the smoker
Potato salad
Greens
Mac n cheese

Oyster and sausage stuffing
Roasted veggies - brussels sprouts, broccoli, zucchini, squash, onions, mushrooms

Christmas Eve Dessert Menu:

Cheese cake

Sweet potato casserole
Hot coco cupcakes
Oreo cake bite
Cookies n cream bark
Peanut brittle
Fudge - chocolate, vanilla, peanut butter
Toffee
Punch - love this stuff - cranberry juice - sherbert - and diet sierra mist
Crockpot hot chocolate

Then we do Christmas gifts at my parents home. Then everyone invades my home and attempts to get a real bed versus pop-up mattresses. If you're extremely slow - you end up in the family room with a sleeping bag. The only person guaranteed a bed is me - depending on my Christmas Eve gift from my wonderful husband - is the deciding factor on whether he sleeps in the bed or elsewhere. ;):p:p He's never slept elsewhere YET - you never know....

Christmas Day Breakfast: The best part of this is the MEN cook breakfast - the women get to relax!

Quiches:
Ham and cheese

Mushroom and spinach
Sausage and mushroom
Bacon and mushroom

Fried
Potatoes
Grits
Sausage gravy
Biscuits

Coffee
Tea
OJ

Then we do Christmas gifts! Then I collapse and delegate clean-up duties. When anyone gets hungry after breakfast - they can eat left overs or order food for delivery. We usually do steaks on the grill before everyone goes back to their homes.

Back