• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Clear Liquid

BellyBuster

I don't understand what clear juice means. I'm in week 2 post op and my plan says I can have 8 oz of juice. Does this mean I can have a green Spinach drink? What do they mean by clear juice? They list apple, cranberry and grape which are the highest sugar fruits! I prefer Spinach, kale, and a tiny bit of apple. Will this work?

Wow. Clear means you can see through it. I didn't realize. Okay, so I messed that up, and it's a good thing I only had one. There wasn't any added sugar but because of the apple, it had 27 grams of natural sugar and 32g of carbs. My stomach didn't hurt at all. But I will steer clear of those juices in the future because apple juice alone without the fiber of eating the apple is not good for my long-term health and diet. Plus, they are too expensive. Thanks for your help. My doctor's office couldn't even help me with this one. When I asked them what clear liquid means, they said apple juice, which did not help me understand that clear means you can see through it. Lol.

Total Carbohydrate 32g
12%
Dietary Fiber 0g
0%
Total Sugars 27g

Added Sugars 0g
0%

A little advice. You may take it or leave it as it is just a shared opinion and others may disagree.

Don't worry right now about sugars, carbs or other macro nutrients. **Unless you are diabetic! ** They give you a protein and water goal. That's all you need to count and or worry about until later.

You are getting very few calories and nutrients. A few extra grams of sugar or carbs aren't going to hurt you.

Focus on meeting your protein and water goals. You can start looking into nutritional needs for later and start planning for your future needs. Coursera is a website that offers online college level courses, many for free. I took a nutrition class by Maya somebody from Stanford University. (FREE and self guided. No timetable!) You might consider that or something similar. It will keep you busy, focused and give you great information for later.

Natural sugars and whole grain carbs are NOT our enemy and don't have to be avoided. They need to be eaten mindfully. As does everything else.

Your advice is appreciated. Thank you. I'm not worried about sugar, but I do get your point. Natural sugars and whole grains are okay in moderation and, of course, at the right time in our journey to a healthier self. I'm eager to get back to them when the time is right. In this post, I merely asked for clarity on "clear juice." Again, I'm glad my non-clear kale juice wasn't a deal breaker, but I will stay clear of them while in the "clear liquid" phase. I want to do well; this journey is my new project, so I'm excited. I've done an excellent job drinking my water and my protein. I hit my goals daily. Of course, my track record after surgery is much better. I bought a particular container to tote around my protein that keeps it cold all day. And I add a little crystal light to my water when I get bored. Plus, I'm very proud of my walking. I've hit my walking goals all week. The other hurdle is friends and restaurants. So far, I've convinced folks to go for walks instead of eating together. One friend is a gamer I've convinced to play games; although we used to nibble on things while we played games, this is a mindset shift. But I'm happy to shift my mindset and become a healthier me. Thanks for the Coursera resource. In addition to Coursera, all neighborhood community colleges offer free noncredit courses, many of which are online. It's worth a look if folks are interested.
I could brush up on my nutrition; I attended IIN Institute — School Of Integrative Nutrition in 2012. A fee is associated, but it was well spent because I learned so much. I have a certificate, but I never used it. Maybe it's time to dust it off and get back into it. I saw a nutritionist as a last-ditch effort before agreeing to the surgery, and she had me buy a book and workbook called Intuitive Eating. After this conversation, I'm definitely making that book my next read. Thanks for the tips. You have succeeded with this program, and it's easy to see why.

My rule of thumb is to do what my doctor says above all else. The packet my doctor gave me is what I follow. Surgeons are different and even the hospital gave me info that was slightly different. When there's a conflict I choose my doctor's advice over the hospital. My packet says I can have 8 oz of juice. However, I only drank juice once at the movies with my family because it's high in sugar. I believe the sugar will stop my weight loss. If your in doubt you can always call your doctor.

100% that! Every bariatric program seems to have its own set of rules. Some people have a 100% liquid pre-op diet. Others can eat 3 meals, others somewhat in the middle.

I have a hard and fast rule. I trusted my surgeon to chop up a major organ and reroute my intestines. I literally trusted him with my life .. and future quality of life. So, whatever he tells me, I do. I now use my bariatric program doctor as my GP. She's crazy about weight, but really understands the bypass differences and risks.

I was in the hospital recently with a really bad case of food poisoning, which led to severe swelling of my intestines. My bariatric surgeon stopped in every day. Just in case. I had surgery 3 1/2 years ago!

I don't understand what clear juice means. I'm in week 2 post op and my plan says I can have 8 oz of juice. Does this mean I can have a green Spinach drink? What do they mean by clear juice? They list apple, cranberry and grape which are the highest sugar fruits! I prefer Spinach, kale, and a tiny bit of apple. Will this work?
As a new recruit, to the bariatric weight loss program. When the doctor says clear see-through I always figured it was like the broth With no flavor, it could be the vegetable could be chicken beef without the flavor. So looking forward to that time to be over

My rule of thumb is to do what my doctor says above all else. The packet my doctor gave me is what I follow. Surgeons are different and even the hospital gave me info that was slightly different. When there's a conflict I choose my doctor's advice over the hospital. My packet says I can have 8 oz of juice. However, I only drank juice once at the movies with my family because it's high in sugar. I believe the sugar will stop my weight loss. If your in doubt you can always call your doctor.
I agree with you. I listen to my nurse practitioner bariatric and the nutritionist. If I have a question I would email them with a question.

When I was on clear liquid diet they said to dilute fruit juices like the ones you listed, but if you use light sport drinks or light juices you could just drink those. The idea is to get the carbs for energy you need so you can function without food during that phase, but also to be diuted enough to spread that energy out throughout the daily oz. goal. Alternating protein shakes with clear beverages. it allows you to play with flavors so you don't get bored. I enjoy the sugarfree drink mixes so I can make a pitcher for the day and refill my cup instead of too many single use bottles. But sometimes I still catch myself running out of drink in my cup or forgetting to take it with me when I leave the house, so it is good to know what to buy when you are out and need to pick something up as well. Body Armor Lyte, Vitamin Water Zero, etc. were my favorites on my approved list but I have to be careful not to buy their calorie rich counterparts by accident. I agree that you are asking good questions and it is important to get clarification from your medical team, they want you to succeed too.

I can make a pitcher for the day and refill my cup instead of too many single use bottles.

I'm so glad you mentioned this. I always want to, but am afraid I'm too much of a nag sometimes. This is exactly what I did. Not only did it help the planet, but I was able to measure out my fluids in one step, and when the bottle or pitcher was empty, I was done with the required fluids for the day.

I don't know what nutritionists put on the list of liquids today, but in 2008, one of my sources of liquid was V8 juice. It's surely NOT clear liquid, but that wasn't required back then. V8 juice is full of nutrients from vegetables, and vegetables are really limited until you get at least to the puree phase.

I lost a lot of weight really fast, and I'm sure part of the reason was this choice in my diet. But it's a good choice at any point where your nutrition will allow it, as well as drinking plenty of water.

How does anyone have to deal with getting back to work and dealing with all these new Diets and nausea, vomiting and not being hungry but still meeting their numbers, that in itself is a job. I only have 2 weeks off after my surgery, any advice? Thank you
Maybe just take it one day at a time. If you have sick days and vacation maybe that will help too. My mind set is to do my best each day and it's helped me to get up and go when I need to.

Wow. 2 weeks is a quick turn around. I didn't go back that early. But when I did go back, I packed a lunch with everything I needed for those hours. Remember that meal prep talk? Work is where it really comes in handy. Although at 2 weeks you're probably not even going to be eating solid food yet. So a few protein shakes will do you.

Also, not everyone has nausea. And vomiting regularly is not the norm and should be addressed by a medical team immediately. I felt pretty good. My team suggested that I try to get an ounce of liquid every 15 minutes. Broken down like that gave me a good idea of how slowly to drink and if I felt full, I'd skip the next 15.

I went back after 9 days. I used the timer on my phone to remind me to drink every 15 minutes. I felt good the whole time. Now I'm just starting week 4 and just started to have some mild nausea and dizziness. We are doing a blood panel to ensure I have enough nutrients. My doctor gave me the go-ahead for pureed food and told me I could add fruit to my protein shake. But we are realizing that bananas might have too much sugar, causing me not to feel so hot. So today he told me no more bananas. It's day by day. I have learned most on this site that we are all very different. I choose to talk with my doctor about my specific issues and then work it out from there. Lots of days off are nice if you can afford it or if you have a job that allows for that but I am new at my job and still trying to prove myself. Again, we are all in different situations.

Wow. 2 weeks is a quick turn around. I didn't go back that early. But when I did go back, I packed a lunch with everything I needed for those hours. Remember that meal prep talk? Work is where it really comes in handy. Although at 2 weeks you're probably not even going to be eating solid food yet. So a few protein shakes will do you.

Also, not everyone has nausea. And vomiting regularly is not the norm and should be addressed by a medical team immediately. I felt pretty good. My team suggested that I try to get an ounce of liquid every 15 minutes. Broken down like that gave me a good idea of how slowly to drink and if I felt full, I'd skip the next 15.
You are the best, Thank you Miss...your advices are right on the nose. YES 2 weeks is all I got in my PTO, so will be interesting In february for me...once again Thank you All for what a great Forum this is. God's send indeed.

Back