• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Constant burping 4th day post op sleeve and not able to get all fluid in

Liz61

I had my sleeve done laparoscopically on Oct 2nd and since discharge have found it impossible to get 48-64 oz liquid in. Yesterday was my best at 19 oz. I was having a terrible time with both burping between sips and a burn at time of swallow. I was given generic Pepcid which has helped some. Thanks to my husband for the suggestion of just doing water and leaving the crystal light alone for now. That helped to stop some of the burn. I am sipping, not gulping and the burping is driving me nuts as well as being uncomfortable. What is the secret to getting fluid in and the burping stopping? Thanks!

I also had a horrible time trying to get liquids down. I didnt have a sore throat or pain of any kind but I just felt so full I felt I would vomit if I sipped another drop. I remember struggling to get one 16oz. water bottle down in a day. Fortunately it got easier as time went by. I was told to try eating more sugar free popsicles as a liquid source but the sugar free are so tart they taste almost bitter to me and the real fruit bars no sugar added are so yummy but they are high in carbs so I limited them to once a day so that didnt help with my liquid consumption. Good Luck! Keep us posted about how youre doing.

Walking and moving will help revive the gas and make room for fluids. They inflate the bowls with air during surgery. Exercise helps displace the gas. Good luck, keep moving. I would keep away from anything with citric, ascorbic or lactic acid as most powder drinks have. I found low sugar gator aid went down easy. Antacids are some of my best friends.

Last edited:
Thank you. I ended up going back to the doctor earlier than expected and walked out the door with new medication, carafate, and being told to double my Pepcid. I was able to get two dose cups of the protein down and water is going down better too. I even got the JP tube removed (woooohoooo!). I guess this truly is a one day at a time process.

Hi

What is a JP tube?
It's a tube they put In your abdominal cavity to drain excess fluids. Some people have to go home with them, some have them removed while still in the hospital. they sent a sample of my fluid to the lab to make sure there was no infection.

It's a tube they put In your abdominal cavity to drain excess fluids. Some people have to go home with them, some have them removed while still in the hospital. they sent a sample of my fluid to the lab to make sure there was no infection.

Thanks I did not know this.. I didn't get one.

Besides trying different fluids, you might try different temperatures of fluids. I do better with G2 at room temperature than out of the fridge.

Back