• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

coughing attacks and liquid intake

It's been 9 days since my surgery and lately have been having a issue with coughing so much it makes me dry heave. Everything else is ok now. I was having a bad pain in lower left stomach but put some heat on that and it went away. I take that back I am having a hard time getting the required 64 oz of fluids cause I get so full so easy. If anyone have any suggestions they are welcome and thank you.

Last edited:
I had sleeve surgery 5/16 and am doing pretty good. I am having a very difficult time getting all the fluid in too. I just try to have liquid by me and sip on it all the time. I still don't get it in, but figure it is better than nothing. I don't like a lot of sweet stuff when I'm not feeling well, so I had a difficult drinking the protein liquid drinks the first 4 days, so I got down mostly water. When I switched over to full liquids (pudding, yogurt, malt-o-meal, and creamed soups), I got sick to my stomach at first, but have been better every day since. I would imagine coughing must hurt. Out of the 7 incisions, I have one that bothers me every day, but it has gotten better. I think he had to stitch the muscle underneath.

I wish you the best and hope the coughing goes away!

Yes the coughing is painful. I hope you do well. I agree with you the protein drinks were and are too sweet for me so I found that oikos Greek yogurt plain made it much easier. And the plus to that is thew protein powder I use has 30 grams of protein and the yogurt has 20 so that drink alone gives me 50 out of my 60-80 grams a day of protein. So I do that one shake and a carnation instant breakfast drink with lactaid milk and I get most of my protein so I do mostly broth the rest of the day.

Karenina is right, you should check with your Dr. If it is pneumonia, the sooner you deal with it the better.

Frank

:cool:

Back