• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

countdown

mergatroid

Ok, I need some real honest answers here. I have a month to go before surgery and am wondering what all you post-oppers did at this point.
Did you exercise like crazy to be in your best possible shape before surgery or mope around? Did you eat healthier in preparation
or eat like there was no tomorrow? How did you say goodbye to the foods you love? Did you clean out your closet and bureau to make
room for new clothes? Did you buy a new outfit as an incentive/motivation? Did you go out for dinner "one last time"? Did you set a
date for something special to do later? Just curious, thanks.

Last edited:
I'm curious too... My husband suggested I get a new outfit and hang it where I can see it every day... so far I have the shoes...lol.

Hi,

I never thought about anything like that. I just started practicing how to eat and what not to eat or drink. I gave up carbonated beverages so I would be ready. I started chew chew chewing and sip sip sipping right after my nutrition class. Gave up all fried foods. I didn't need to worry about clothing right away because I had several sizes in my closet just waiting for me to be able to wear them again. As it turned out they didn't fit right after all. I also started a mild exercise program because I knew I would have to do it afterwards. I did go out for a final meal of my favorite things but it had no fried foods. I don't even like fried foods now. For me it is the amount of food I ate because I never knew when I was full. I have heard of people really stocking up and eating all their favorite things right before surgery, especially sweets.

I'm not post op yet, but I'm eating like I plan to eat after surgery, exercising the same amount as I have for the last 5 years. I don't plan to have any food funerals. I'm done letting food have so much power in my life. I've lost 24 pounds since February, so my clothes are already beginning to be too big, but I'm still wearing them and some that I couldn't fit into last year. I wouldn't dare buy an outfit several sizes smaller because I'm short and difficult to fit, so I need to make sure it would fit right before buying. I don't want to have one last chocolate binge, because I'm afraid I wouldn't stop.
Since I've already had my knees replaced, my mobility is good. I'm just so ready to shed the last 90 pounds and hopefully keep it off forever.
Sorry if that's not the answer you wanted to hear :eek:

I admit it. I fell into the "last meal" habit. I didn't overdo, but we did go out to eat to all of my favorite restaurants. I didn't stuff myself and didn't go crazy on the sweets. I think a big part of it was nerves and afraid of change...even change for the better. Hubby still eats a lot of junk food. He offered to get rid of it all and not to eat in front of me, etc. I kind of went with the idea that I couldn't ask the whole world to do that so I'd better start learning to deal with others eating things that I'm not going to be able to.
Since starting the pre-op liquid diet I realized how much of our social interactions were based around food and eating. Gave me a lot to think about and the opportunity to reprogram our social lives. The surgery has given me a lot of help as I don't really have too much of a desire to eat.
We did plan a trip for over the holidays and I'm using that as my "prize" for sticking with the plan that long. I think it's a great idea to set a goal for yourself with a reward. Good luck!
K

I didn't have a choice, once I had the date for my surgery, the Doc said I needed to shrink my liver and put me on the Liver Diet. He told me that if the liver was too large, they couldn't do the operation and they wouldn't know until they started, so I was not going to go through all that to be turned away on the table. Basically for one week I ate one meal a day and two replacement shakes. The last two weeks before surgery I was on replacement shakes for two weeks. I lost 30 pounds going into surgery. I did try walking more and when I did eat, I did not over do it. Tomorrow I get to add soft foods to the diet. I am excited about that.

Back