• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

COVID-19

Apologies to anyone who thinks I'm posting too much about this virus, but if you feel that way, you are probably in danger and really need to check out what's happening in your area. This is a killer disease that is transmitted by breathing, touching, eating tainted food, sharing enclosed spaces--virtually any contact with any human being who's also been exposed. I was hoping it had died down but I just checked and discovered that it's romping its way into the heartland of the US from both coasts.

NOTICE at the top of the graphic that 13 people in my state have died. Yesterday i only knew of one man who'd been infected who was in a hospital in central Washington. Well, actually, that was the latest. Originally there were only 6 known cases in my state, most in Snohomish County, in the town where I was born, and at least four of those people had died.

two people who work at my mental health center have been exposed in the two nursing homes on the eastside where the most deaths occurred. i have an appointment with my therapist on monday and she called this morning to see if i wanted to do a phone interview instead of one of us coming to the other's place. I'm going to let her know for sure on Sunday.

click on the image to go to the NBC news site with the whole story.

Geez, i just realized Washington State is the ONLY state where people have died in the US (well, one in California. probably a tourist from Seattle!). We are a major portal for goods, services and people from China & Asia in general.

I am bundled down, stocked up and ready with masks and gloves (and yes, I do know proper protocol for using a mask) but mostly, I'm just staying inside where I know no infected person has been. This virus isn't dying down. It's just getting started.

Tell everyone you know that hand-washing is the most effective way to keep the virus at bay, and if everyone practices hand-washing hygiene, it will be the best weapon against the virus.

It's scary... I have to fly on Wednesday & again home on Saturday. It's a necessary trip so I'm trying to keep my anxiety in check. I'll do all I can. I have to have faith that is enough.

it looks like Washington, with 83 cases, has been hardest hit, followed by California with 79. But it's terrible that Washington also has the most deaths by far in the US. You're lucky in New York, so far. I wish people would take this as seriously as something like bubonic plague. I know that may sound hysterical to some people, but look where I am: GROUND ZERO in North America. I haven't read anything in the last day or so, hoping it would just pass by now, but then I do a search a little while ago & find, to my horror, that it's getting worse.

A lot of airlines and other international forms of travel are canceling trips. Italy is now the worst affected of all nations. Of 21 cases found on a cruise ship, 19 were the employees who touch everything before a passenger touches it. My germophobia is at Mach 11.

safe travels, Brenda. Don't be afraid to protect your area everywhere you go, even if you end up carrying a container of bleach-infused sanitary wipes in your purse. You wouldn't be the only one.

Back