• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

CPAP question

Joyous1979

I have been using a cpap machine for the last year since being diagnosed with sleep apnea. I had RNY surgery almost 4 months ago. Since my surgery, I've notice problems/issues in using the machine. I'll be able to wear it some nights but not without waking several times in the night. Other times I'll wear it but have to take it off after a few hours. I just wondered if anyone had issues with their machine after their surgery. I should also say that I lost my insurance. While being out for my surgery I was let go from my position. So I wouldn't be able to get another sleep study done.

Without knowing what type of machine you have, mine keeps track of my breathing pattern and as you lose weight your pattern changes. Also your mask may not fit as well or be worn. You need to find someone with the correct software who can make adjustments and check the fitting of your mask. I'd call around or search the web and see if I could find someone who could provide these services. Remember everything is negotiable.

cheers

I understand that frequently, sleep APNEA goes away after weight loss surgery. How long does this take to happen? My surgery is scheduled July 19... just wondering for planning purposes.

Hello,
I've had a CPAP for about 1 1/2 years. I found that the machine was annoying to me after surgery and I felt like I was fighting the hose more. I also would take it off and sleep just fine without it. At the clinic that does follow-up visits on my sleep apnea, I was told that after you lose 50 pounds, it can affect whether or not your oxygen level needs to be reduced or whether you still need the machine. I was advised to go ahead and have a new study just to be on the safe side. I agree with the person above who said it would be worth it to check and see if you can find a clinic that would take payments or somehow provide the services you need. Good luck!

I had my surgery in march, when I went in to see my dr he told me to try going without my machine since I had lost 50 lbs. I'm now down 78 an have slept great without my machine. I go back August 15 th for a new sleep study but am positive that I won't need my machine any more. I feel so free without it. It only took me about 2 months before I no longer needed it. Best of luck hope you can find someone to work something out to where you can get answer.

I just had my year appt with my sleep doctor and was told my machine would adjust with my needs and that eventually I may not need it. However the mask may change...I would say ask the company you get your mask from, if they have RT you can see for sizing of new mask. A resource that might help if you if you don't have insurance...research www.needymeds.org ..there may be a resource there to help.

Back