• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Day 1 of pre op diet

Sandie

OK Day 1 and having a problem. I drank the protein drink and I AM HUNGRY 30 MIN LATER. I am to have 4 in the day and then a light lean protein dinner. There is so much bread, turkey, and all that goes with Tgiving dinner sitting on the shelves and in fridge. This is not going to be good if I am always hungry until the surgery. I am not one to eat a lot but I do like a few ginger snaps during the day but not a big eater per se but being hungry just make me want to graze!
Ok got that off my chest.

Sandie
I know how you feel, went through same thing before my surgery 8 weeks ago,I am happy that I was able to eat yesterday for I was afraid the turkey would not go down, happy to say it was moist enough that I enjoyed Thanksgiving, you're about to emark a brand new life for yourself, once you see the results you'll look back and say, I am proud of myself for going through these sacrifices. Does your dr allow you to drink other liquids during the day too? s/f lemonade etc or hot broth that always helped me through the rough patches and hot tea, I think it being hot satisfied me some. Hope it gets easier for you.
Once you get your strength back, make sure to come back and share about your experience,
Donna

I drank the protein drink and I AM HUNGRY 30 MIN LATER. I am to have 4 in the day and then a light lean protein dinner. There is so much bread, turkey, and all that goes with Tgiving dinner sitting on the shelves and in fridge. This is not going to be good if I am always hungry until the surgery. I am not one to eat a lot but I do like a few ginger snaps during the day but not a big eater per se but being hungry just make me want to graze!

Hey, Sandie,

Grazing is over. Gone. All gone. Bye-bye. Be at peace with it.

Hunger. Make sure you're experiencing body hunger, not head hunger. Body hunger is more easily satisfied. Think about how you will be eating and drinking after surgery. Tiny bites and tiny sips. When you drink your protein shakes, make them last. Remind yourself this is not just some drink you are having. You are drinking a meal. Take tiny sips, and wait in between sips before you take another. When next you're hungry, s-l-o-w-l-y sip some water. Give it a chance. It should fill your stomach, abating the hunger.

Do the same thing for your dinner. Take tiny bites. Chew those tiny bites at least 30 times each before swallowing.

The liquid diet serves a very important purpose. It allows you to de-fat your liver, making it less turgid, more floppy. A floppy liver is easier to move away from the surgical areas, making it easier for your surgeon to do what he needs to do. Easier for your surgeon, equals easier and safer for you. Easier and safer for you means a faster surgery and a faster recovery.

As for your Thanksgiving leftovers . . . you know you are not to eat them. Put them from your mind. They are not food for you. They belong to someone else. If that doesn't work, get rid of them! Have family come over and take them. Donate them to a shelter. Do whatever you need to do to make them unavailable for yourself.

It's only for a few days. You can do just about anything for just a few days.

Let us know how it's going. Vent often, just like you did earlier!!! Sometimes, that's the very best thing you can do for yourself.

Thanks for all the support, I did not read my paperwork totally. I can have a fruit snack between meals, protein drink for the mealas and another one about 8:30 at night so if I do that and have supper of 2 cups of raw greens, 1 tomato, 4 oz of lean meat like chicken breast, 1 TBS of salad drg or 2 TBS of light drg AND at least 64 oz of non caloric fluids I really should not be hungry! I forgot about the fluids and fruits. I DAY AT A TIME, this is only the pre op diet, once the surgery happens I suppose it will be "I cannot get it all in and I am not hungry" I am sure you all went through it and I will too and be better for it!!! Dec 3 here I come!!! Pre op meetings are Monday, acutally had a bone density done so I will know if I am losing bone if I need to. Had a brain MRI, don't ask but it was necessary before I start on this journey, it there is a problem that this is off til that is fixed but I do not expect a problem. LIFE is GOOD!!! We are really blessed to have our health and trying to make it even better!

Hi Sandie, your meal plans sounds just like mine was, it was doable, the first couple of days was a little rough but once I had a routien down it was simple but it was the little snakcs that made it bearable, like Donna, I too liked to drink some hot broth or bullion, it seemed flavor and warm liquid would satisfy the hunger. I was fortunat ethough not having to start my pre op meal plan on a holiday. You will do fine just hang in there. :cool: Tom

You can do this Sandie, I know you can. Just send your mind somewhere else, anywhere else. Don't think of food. It is not your friend.

I put a half banana and a couple of frozen strawberries in my protein drink breakfast and it was yummy. I will do this religiously as requested and will get to surgical date with a pristine liver! I was actually told by my doc, when asking about the 2 week protein diet, "Just do not gain weight in the two weeks preceding the surgery" when I asked the coordinator she said "probably due to your conditions etc. he does not need for you to loose a lot of weight just before surgery but always a good idea to get your liver in good, supple condition". So that is what I am doing. I am going to watch my weight daily to see what I do lose.
This is a journey For Life, if you ask me. I know it is a play on words but I like it, it is for the rest of my life and it is for my life to be the best it can be!

Sandie, I know for me, A LOT of my hunger is "head hunger." I've had all these years of just eating whenever I wanted and bad habits. We haven't had the surgery yet and it's not logical that we can break years and years of bad habits in this short period of time, but I know something that has helped for me is Sugar-Free Popsicles and pickles - both are next to no calories and both can keep my head thinking I'm eating! I've lost these 53 pounds with only about 4-5 days of serious struggling at the beginning and trust me, if I can do it, so can you! Thinking of you! You've got this!! ;)

Hi Sandie, ask if you can use Chia seeds. I put them in my oatmeal, shakes and yogurt. They swell like tapioca and keep you feeling full longer.

I am a huge fan of chia seed. They are a real nutrition powerhouse.

I'm not sure they're a good idea for anybody with a stoma, however.

I would very much like to learn what a bariatric nutritionist or surgeon has to say about them.

Mergatroid Chia Seeds? The same Chai seeds that make Chia Pets? and Chia Heads? I am doing better once I got on a routine and having 4 protein drinks, two fruit snacks and lean dinner really is enough. I have taken the protein drink for breakfast and mixed in a half banana which thickens it and seems to prevent me from getting hungry as fast.
I seem to be confused a little with the diet pre op and what it will be post op ie reading everything for sugars etc but really on pre op it is not so important but for calories but post op will get dumping syndrome so will not even try it. I was feeling the loss of lots of foods the other day but when looking at recipes etc there are plenty I will be able to eat in small amounts when the surgical sites are healed and what is made with sugars we can change out some of the ingredients and substitute what is necessary to have a nice recipe. What I will miss is runs for ice cream in summer with friends, gummy candy, chips,BUT what I am gaining is so much more, health and wear clothes as I used to, not knock off things as I pass my burearu with my butt, ..... This is a Journey for Life!!!! I own that title for my blog and possible support group I may start if I am successful. When I quit smoking, after a few years, I did support groups at work that was very successful in how many people were successful in quitting smoking so maybe, just maybe will do something again to help others! I am taking this all one day at a time.
I am so grateful for all the support I receive and hope I give back as well.
Tomorrow is my pre op meeting where we see the Anesthesia and god knows who else for 2-3 hours appointment. I get a feeling of excitement and fear at the same time when I think about doing this. I am older than most of you doing this but want to continue to be older and older and this is my way of doing it, NOT the easy way but the best way!!

Sandie- I agree with Tom warm broth really did satisfy me between the taste and the warm liquid feeling good in my belly. I don't know if you can have them but I was allowed sugarfree popsicles which was counted as part of my liquids. They were nice to take the edge off. Take care and stay strong!! Time 4 me

I had a really bad caffeine withdrawal headache since I was trying to get off coffee but do not see why I cannot have that now, but will have to withdraw slowly over the next week so none after surgery and not have to deal with a headache.
I can have popsicles(sugar free) and will use them too. I am doing fine, just was suprised at how hungry I was soon after drinking the protein drink. I am sure after surgery it will be a chore to drink the protein.
I never drink fluids really, if I drink a 12 oz bottle of diet soda it was a lot and now supposed to drink 64 oz of calorie free fluids. THAT is a chore now, cannot imagine what it will be like after surgery when nauseated and full all the time, BUT will do what is necessary to get this show on the road, Journey for Life here I come !

Hi Sandie, You have the right idea on slowly stopping the coffee, that's exactly how I did it on my last two weeks I slowly weened myself off of coffee so I wouldn't get the caffein headaches and it seemed to work, but I love my coffee so as soon as I could have it again I slowly introduced it back into my routien. Keep mixing fruit with your protien drinks it helps. Hang in there your doing great. :cool: Tom

Bigtallsis you should update your profile showing you had your surgery and when and what your weight is ever few weeks so we can see the progress, you are working hard so why not let us see it and applaud you.
Twomas Thanks for the support, I am hanging in there!! Doing it and doing it fine. Have a pre op appt for tomorrow so will get that done and then it is countdown to next Monday for surgery, I think I am ready, worried, scared, but looking forward to it and welcome it!

Yup Sandie, the same Chia seeds for Chia pets. I wouldn't recommend them for post op patients without first asking the doc/nut though. Hang in there. Wont be long now.:)

what do chia seeds taste like and where to buy? Are we allowed to have nuts soon after surgery or have to wait a few months, anyone know?

I get my Chia seeds from Wegman's. I'm pretty sure drug stores carry them in their wellness dept. too. They really don't have a taste to them, maybe, ever so slightly, a nutty essence can be detected. I've heard nuts are a no for six months, but
haven't confirmed it with anyone yet. Figures, I just bought a ton of them on sale. Hope my hubby enjoys them.

Back