• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

day 2 post op

I had my surgery on Thursday afternoon. It is saturday night. and let me tell you without exaggeration, I am hungry!! WTH?? Good thing I can't eat b/c I really would. I'm already craving foods that I shouldn't even begin to think about at all!!
What the heck is wrong with me!! I also gained 11 pounds since the surgery date! No one that I know who has had the gastric sleeve went through any of this. They all told me that basically the hunger and cravings were taken away with the surgery. Is this just a fluke for now or what???
Melissa

Melissa,
Your gain is probably swelling from surgery and you are hungry because you are only doing liquids and they go through quicker, when you get to soft foods you should see a difference. At least thats what ive been told and im hoping so, i'm only 8 days out myself and sometimes i feel hungry. Are you getting your protein you could do an extra shake if your starving, that should curb the appetite and dont forget your popsicles and sugarfree jello.

Melissa,
Your gain is probably swelling from surgery and you are hungry because you are only doing liquids and they go through quicker, when you get to soft foods you should see a difference. At least thats what ive been told and im hoping so, i'm only 8 days out myself and sometimes i feel hungry. Are you getting your protein you could do an extra shake if your starving, that should curb the appetite and dont forget your popsicles and sugarfree jello.

Thanks for the advice. According to my post op nutrition guide, I cannot add protien until days 7-10.
I'm very close to the 40 oz of clear liquids a day and I've added today the the creamy chicken soup. thats helping. But I'm sure once I get to adding protein I'll feel much better.

Thanks for the advice. According to my post op nutrition guide, I cannot add protien until days 7-10.
I'm very close to the 40 oz of clear liquids a day and I've added today the the creamy chicken soup. thats helping. But I'm sure once I get to adding protein I'll feel much better.

40 oz of liquids a day isn't nearly enough to keep you from becoming dehydrated for long.

And no protein? If you cannot have protein, what are you drinking besides water? And what is "creamy chicken soup"; what nutrients does it contain?

I know protocols differ from one bariatric center to another but this doesn't sound right.

I am concerned for you, Melissa.

Thanks for the concern, but I did go to 6 months of nutriton classes for after surgery and I am following the post op nutrition guidelines to the T. My ex husband had the same surgery done by the same doctor last year. He had the same guidelines.
The "creamy soup" I mentioned is the PrescriptFit Chicken soup that the Doctors' office sells. I don't have the nutrition facts in front of me at the moment. And I must say, even though it is taking me all day to finish it, I am a lot less hungry.
Thanks so much for your concern!!! :eek:

Melissa there are high protein chicken broths, high protein jellos and there are high protein clear liquid drinks out there to help get that protein in.
I have already been stocking up on the high protein clear liquid and high protein drinks and powders-those I got lots of samples to use.

Carol

I had the same problem! I was STARVING 2 days after. I am now 3 weeks out and having trapped gas in my stomach when I eat.

I am 3 days post op, I gained 14 pounds from IVs that were used to raise my blood pressure which was dangerously low and a slightly collapsed lung which is also ok too. Hope all will go well for us both. Hang in there nd sure it will get better soon.

Back