• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Day 3 of pre-op diet--help!

Mimi G

Y'all, I am going crazy! It's only day 3 of my 3 week pre-op diet (mostly shakes with an occaisional protein/steamed veggies meal). All I think about is food. My son fried bacon this morning and I had to stay in the bathroom and spray perfume to cover the wonderful bacon smell!!!!!!
Now they are having a breakfast dinner with, you guessed it, BACON! My family is trying to drive me crazy! Did anyone else have this sort of stuff going on? It's very hard fighting myself--I can't fight them too.

Thanks for letting me whine (ooo...wouldn't some wine be tasty????),
Mimi

Hi, I'm sorry you're struggling right now. I know how hard it is to be surrounded by the foods you love but are unable to indulge. I'm a stay at home mom so throughout my process I've been preparing meals for my family while having to stick to my own "diet", and sometimes it was (and sometimes still is) hard, and very tempting. I think this is something most of us struggle(d) with at some point in this process. But, this surgery is only a tool and we have to make it work, as hard as it may be sometimes. The first few days on your pre-op diet will probably be the hardest because you are just starting to break the cycle that you have been in for so long. Just try to keep in mind that this is something you've been wanting for a long time and that the end result will be so worth it. Easier said than done, I know, but the liver shrinking diet is very important for you to have a safer surgery.
I'm only a couple of months out, myself, so I am by no means an expert, but I just wanted to let you know that I understand what you're going through right now and I hope as the days go by it gets easier for you. And, I'm sure you've heard someone say by now, that "after surgery, you won't wake up hungry." So just hang in there for these tough next few weeks and your surgery date will be here before you know it.
In the meantime, use the boards for support and maybe even mention to your family that you are struggling right now, and maybe they can choose some options that will be less tempting for you. Try having your "meal" or shake just before they start to prepare theirs so you will feel fuller and you may be less affected by the meal they're going to have. I really hope things ease up for you. Hang in there and stay strong! August 9th will be here before you know it! :)
-Jenny

well said Jenny

Also consider getting all the high aroma foods out of the house or maybe being out of the house when they cook. I had my family eat healthy and they have stayed that way. I baked salmon and other fish for my protein/vegetable meals and served it to everyone. Breakfast was a different story as this is the liquid part so they had cereal or oatmeal or an egg. My kids understood of course they are pretty much grown. Good luck and hang in there it is for your safety.

Thanks, guys! Today seemed much better. Had my IVC filter placed Monday and going thru the procedure at the same hospital where I'm having my surgery seems to have helped me focus better. I've been hiding in my room when the family fixes dinner and I'm gonna need to stand my ground about refusing to put away any leftovers myself (alone with Stove Top Stuffing? Not good!!!) lol I've also lost 4 lbs in a week, so that's pretty encouraging. Only a bit over 2 weeks to go now.

Back