• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Dehydration Issues ...

robergnm

Mon - Wed this week I've puked up food I've eaten in the morning.
Now it can be for a plethora of reasons & I've never done well with eating when it's super hot.

My problem seems to be that I can't get ahead or even seem to stay caught up with the fluids.
I've considered calling the Bariatric Center to inquire whether it may be a good idea to get a bag maybe 2 of IV fluids.

Yes, we're not supposed to have protein drinks but I broke down on Tuesday and picked up a 4 pack of muscle milk.
I had one for dinner last night & working on one which would be the first thing I've taken in today w/the exception of water, meds & my chewable multivitamin.

I have 2 chief concerns;

Not getting enough protein and food in to have my body work properly and not mess up my metabolism worse to prohibit weight loss even w/the pouch.

2nd, having enough fluids as puking sends more fluids to your intestines further dehydrating you in addition to the sweltering heat; 102 yesterday & supposed to be 100 today.

I do feel more weak, lethargic & haven't been walking outside since Monday am.

Any suggestions and/or opinions greatly appreciated. Thank you - Mary :(

Hi Mary,

Is your urine dark or less in volume than usual? Is your mouth or lips dry feeling? I know when I haven't had enough fluids my urine turns dark, most of the time that will be in the morning so I start sipping right away. It was suggested to me that if your pouch feels tight especially in the morning that I should use a protein smoothie for breakfast. In the hospital I was never allowed to drink more than two ounces of fluid at any one time. They were teaching me how to sip. I keep liquids with me all the time except 30 minutes before I eat and thirty minutes afterward. It takes me 20 minutes to drink 6 ounces of coffee or hot tea. I make my shakes last 30 minutes. Figure you are up about 12-14 hours a day if you can average 6-8 ounces of fluids per hour you will get plenty of fluids. I find that I can sip that much easily throughout the day. However, if you feel you are dehydrated and need IV fluids maybe you should call your surgeon and check with them. I wouldn't worry about walking outside in the heat unless it is really early in the morning or late in the evening due to the perspiration. I am generally not allowed to substitute a shake for a meal and use shakes as a supplement for protein intake that can't be managed with food intake. I was to told eat three meals a day but sometimes breakfast just doesn't work for me so I use the smoothie usually with a banana or strawberries in it. At first I thought this schedule would be the death of me but it turned out to be easier than I thought it would. Joy

Hi Mary, I have all the same concerns as you do. If solid foods are still makeing you sick then try going back to the more softer foods like cottage cheese and yogurt. I will not say anything about the protien supplaments, I have been using different types of them for years befor my WLS so my feeling's are, it is a bit presumptuous of your doctor to think that it is not a normal part of someones meal plans, however if you can hold down the shake then that will get you some more fluids you can hold onto. Friday is soon approaching so you should probably call the doctor or nurse about your dehydration because that is nothing to take lightly in that heat and can turn into heat exaustion and heat stroke with very little exposure, I have seen perfectly fit grown men and wemon drop from this and have to be helivact to the hospital, so please call them befor Friday, and keep doing your best with the protien. :cool: Tom

Hi everyone I GOT SO CAUGHT UP IN MEETING ALL THE GUIDELINES IMMED. THAT I ACTUALLY FELT SICK MOST THE TIME DAILY. FINALLY I SAID ENOUGH I WILL DO THE BEST I CAN DO LIQUIDS WAS THE ONLY EXCEPTION AND EVEN THAT COULD CAUSE DISCOMFORT! MY MEDS WERE A CHALLENGE LET ALONE ALL THE VITS SO I WENT BACK TO THE BEGINNING. MUCH SMALLER AMT AND SPREAD MY MEDS OUT THROUGH OUT THE DAY. AND EVEN THEN SO DAYS I BACKED OFF. I WAKE UP NAUSEATED AT TIMES SO I TOOK MY MED FOR THAT FIRST BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE! I FEEL LIKE SEEING ALL THE DIFF. GUIDELINES AROUND THE COUNTRY HELPS ME REALIZE GOOD COMMON SENSE MAKES SENSE!!! EACH DAY I START NEW CAUSE I NEVER KNOW. I USE STRONG LEMON CRYSTAL LT FOR MY MEDS FROM CAPSULES TO DILUTE FOLLOWED BY A CHASER OF CRYSTAL LT. PILLS I BREAK INTO FOUR PIECES EASIER TO BREAK DOWN IF APPROVED BY PHARM. PRILSEC I ALSO JUST POUR IN MY MOUTH DONT CHEW. MADE MY OWN SOUP THEN BLENDED TO LIQUID. MOST EVERYTHING CAN BE MADE TO LIQUID OR PUREED WITH ADDED LIQUID. YES SO MANY THINGS TASTE DIFF. CANT GET A GOOD TASTE FROM COFFEE. SWEETS ARE RICHER. SOME THINGS ARE JUST BLAND! ALWAYS WORRY NOW THAT I MIGHT NOT EAT ENOUGH OR TO MUCH. SO MUCH BAGGAGE BUT WE ALL HAVE COME THIS FAR NOT TO FAIL. ABOVE ALL CALL MED. TEAM WHEN IN DOUBT. ELAINE

Back