• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Did any one have second thoughts

Toya

So I'm less then 2 weeks away from my bypass. Having second thoughts on it... its really want I want but my anxiety is getting the best of me all the pros, and all the cons I'm extremely nervous. Has any one experienced these emotional pre surgery?

I didn't have any. But I think it is a normal reaction to having surgery. I would ask the doc for a mild sedative like 1mg of clonazepam just to get through this time. I always have to take a sedative before I have a mammogram because I find the procedure so painful. If I didn't calm down, I wouldn't be able to keep my appointment.

If you don't want to go that route, try simple meditative breathing.

I have had many second thoughts! Mine is 5 weeks away and my mom keeps saying, "are you sure you want to have this done?"
I am because I believe my life will be much easier and better quality when I get a big chunk of the weight off and in 49 years I haven't been able to get there on my own. Think of how you will feel next year at this time!

So I'm less then 2 weeks away from my bypass. Having second thoughts on it... its really want I want but my anxiety is getting the best of me all the pros, and all the cons I'm extremely nervous. Has any one experienced these emotional pre surgery?
Hi Toya, I haven't been scheduled yet, waiting for insurance approval, but I think it's normal to have second thoughts. I have. I think, why can't I lose weight on my own? But, then i realize that i haven't been successful on every diet out there, some of us need help. I hope you opt for the tool that will help you take back your life, that's how I look at it. Good luck! Keep us posted, Weezy

Hi Toya, I didn't have any worries preop. I must admit that I work in the operating room where my surgeon does these surgeries and have given anesthesia to many patients having this done. So I had thought about this decision for many years and I weighed the pros and cons carefully. But after the surgery for the first few days I did have some buyers remorse. I thought to myself " I don't think that I can live like this." But after the first few days I realized that I couldn't go on living like I was before the surgery; always having to buy clothes that fit whether I liked them or not, having anxiety every time I ate poorly or to much, being a slave to food all of the time, Ect. Now ( 42 days post op) I feel great and wish that I had done this years ago. I sleep better and feel better all of the time. I buy clothes that I like because I can fit into most any thing. My hips and knees don't hurt as much. I haven't taken a tylenol in weeks!! I used to take ibuprofen 3-4 times a week. ( Important note: DO NOT take ibuprofen ever after your surgery.) Now just some turmeric and magnesium keeps me pain free.
I hope that you found this helpful.

my mom keeps saying, "are you sure you want to have this done?"
This is so ironic. If you were getting married and planning your various events and your rregistry and working toward that special day, nobody would say to you are you sure you want to get married? Are you sure you want to go through with this? Are you sure? They'd feel like world-class idiots for questioning you or even having the nerve to doubt you. But they have no trouble putting their oar in the water when it comes to gastric bypass. I don't get it.

Why no ibuprofen?
After surgery you will have sutures and staples in your stomach. Ibuprofen can irritate the stomach lining and interfere with healing. As can any drug in the NSAID class, like excedrin, aspirin, pamprin. Tylenol however is not an nsaid. Just be careful about how much Tylenol u take because your liver will be working very hard during the rapid weight loss so u don’t want to over work it with a ton of Tylenol. Just follow your surgeons instructions with regards to post op pain control. You’ll probably get most of this info at your preop visit.

After surgery you will have sutures and staples in your stomach. Ibuprofen can irritate the stomach lining and interfere with healing. As can any drug in the NSAID class, like excedrin, aspirin, pamprin. Tylenol however is not an nsaid. Just be careful about how much Tylenol u take because your liver will be working very hard during the rapid weight loss so u don’t want to over work it with a ton of Tylenol. Just follow your surgeons instructions with regards to post op pain control. You’ll probably get most of this info at your preop visit.

Thank Frank, much to my dismay, I was told no ibuprofen... ever. :( I was actually hoping for a contradictory second opinion. I get aura migraines and Advil is the only thing that has ever helped. Have had one since surgery and Tylenol didn't help at all. Sounds like it's a sacrifice I'll have to live with. Still worth it. :)

This is so ironic. If you were getting married and planning your various events and your rregistry and working toward that special day, nobody would say to you are you sure you want to get married? Are you sure you want to go through with this? Are you sure? They'd feel like world-class idiots for questioning you or even having the nerve to doubt you. But they have no trouble putting their oar in the water when it comes to gastric bypass. I don't get it.

Amen! :rolleyes:

It’s a major lifestyle change. It’s also permanent. I think second thoughts are normal. I really think you have to have a firm grasp on why you are doing it. YOLO and I want to live as long as I can and feel good! The first week was tough. I have had no regrets once I made it through 3/4 weeks. Good luck with your decision.

I was also told no nsaids due to possible bleeding at the site where they attach the intestine to the stomach (this is for ruiny).
I get migraines too and have psoriatic arthritis so pain management is also an issue for me. After talking with my various drs.....they say it's better to have the surgery and then try different pain solutions. (accupuncture, non nsaids, etc...)

Im so happy someone asked this question. I went to my first nutrition apt and it made me afraid. Can I do this? 20 oz 3 times a day, regulated routine, every day. .. Like all obese people Ive tried every diet, and for three years tried to keep to 1500 cals a day, with no substantial weight loss. I look at, if I dont I will die early. And I wont like whats left of my life. I guess Im scared. I have changed my lifestyle but its not working and I need a jumpstart.

It’s a major lifestyle change. It’s also permanent. I think second thoughts are normal. I really think you have to have a firm grasp on why you are doing it. YOLO and I want to live as long as I can and feel good! The first week was tough. I have had no regrets once I made it through 3/4 weeks. Good luck with your decision.
how are doing now Thyson? Happy you are doing good. Can you keep me updated, I really want to know. Im a t the stage that Im questioning my commitment and ability to stick with a regimented lifestyle.

Im a t the stage that Im questioning my commitment and ability to stick with a regimented lifestyle.
Fox, that is a very logical fear. The fact that you asked it shows you have a strong grip on reality. We all struggle with denial & here you are, slaying the denial dragon. I'll bet you've tried to benefit from meditation in your quest for self improvement. Why not try three minutes of deep breathing? Then write down your fears. At some point you'll see some kind of change. Regardless of how you feel, at least you'll be more relaxed.

Thats good advice, Im going to meditate tomorrow. I realize part of my issue is my doctor has taken me off my anxiety meditation. Easy to forget. And every issue Im having , right now, is adding to it. I feel overwhelmed with having to make decisions. Its been a rough two weeks, our a/c stopped working, our fridge stopped, we had to get another fridge. Then massive dr apts. Btw I am in Eastern Washington. In another week weather is suppose to average around 85°. No parts till 29th. The nutrition apt kind of pushed me over the edge. I super appreciate your reply. 2 weeks ago I was rearless about this.

Btw I am in Eastern Washington. In another week weather is suppose to average around 85°.
Yeah, my people mostly live in Wenatchee. I hated living there in the summer. I never had a car with air conditioning and didn't get a house with air conditioning until I was an adult woman. I used to work for NPR and I reported on the Entiat Fire back in 2004. It made me realize I had to get the hell out of Dodge. I will trade a hundred rainy days for a month of scorching heat and stinky smoke any day of the week. And I was born here in Seattle, so coming home was logical.

Yeah, my people mostly live in Wenatchee. I hated living there in the summer. I never had a car with air conditioning and didn't get a house with air conditioning until I was an adult woman. I used to work for NPR and I reported on the Entiat Fire back in 2004. It made me realize I had to get the hell out of Dodge. I will trade a hundred rainy days for a month of scorching heat and stinky smoke any day of the week. And I was born here in Seattle, so coming home was logical.

I lived in Seattle area in the 80s. The traffic, currentl y, is heavy. I don't like the heat either. You have to have auto and house A\C. I didn't have it while growing up either. I finally convinced my mother when she struggled with cancer treatment. Guess it was the staying home in the blaring sun, all day heat, that finally resonated. It has been in the 90s, and it's only May! I don't remember it being that hot in May.

how are doing now Thyson? Happy you are doing good. Can you keep me updated, I really want to know. Im a t the stage that Im questioning my commitment and ability to stick with a regimented lifestyle.
7 weeks since surgery. I have lost 24 pounds. I have lost 50 total since August 2018. I went shopping yesterday. I used to buy 3X shirts, I was able to buy 1X and it felt great! It’s hard to stay on plan when you are out running around town. I have a cute lunchbox I load with drinks and 4oz of protein shake or cottage cheese or cheese sticks. It is easier to stay on task with food when you are seeing results. So before surgery it took me 8 months to lose 26 pounds on my own and 7 weeks to lose 24 after surgery. Like I said, I had 2nd thoughts before, but no regrets after.

Back