• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Did any one have second thoughts

NSAIDs are not only harmful to the stomach and bowel but it also affects the kidneys. I have had kidney issues and have been told to never take NSAIDs ever again in my life because of the bad effects it has to the kidneys. As Bariatric patients, we are prone to dehydration which can affect the kidneys also. So, this is another reason to avoid/discontinue the use of NSAIDs.

actually, I'm an old-timer (12 years post-op). You sounded like you were saying people who'd had the surgery should NEVER take ibuprofen in the whole rest of their lives. Is that what you meant? If so, can you explain? thanks.
Hi Diane, Sorry to be getting back to you so late. Yes it does mean forever. After bariatric surgery you are a much higher risk for ulcers so taking NSAIDS can cause an ulcer a lot more easily in a bariatric patient that a non bariatric patient. To be honest with u I did take 400 mg Ibuprofen and I didn't bleed from my stomach but I wouldn't do it again for a long long time. Pre op I used to take 800mg 2-3 times a week because of all of the aches and pains. Now the occasional tylenol and daily turmeric keeps the chronic pain away. Probably the most important thing that keeps the pain away in not carrying that excess weight around.

So I'm less then 2 weeks away from my bypass. Having second thoughts on it... its really want I want but my anxiety is getting the best of me all the pros, and all the cons I'm extremely nervous. Has any one experienced these emotional pre surgery?
Don't let fear win!! You can do it get Prayed up. Congratulations you are not alone my friend!!

Back