• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Discouraged

annalobdell

Hello everyone. My name is Anna. I had RNY 12/11/12. On the day of my surgery I weighed in at 298 pounds. Today I weight 227 pounds. In 9 months I have lost 71 pounds. I feel discouraged because that seems like a low amount for 9 months post op. Has any one else experienced slow weight loss with RNY? I am scared that I will never get to my goal weight. My understanding is once you hit the 12 month mark your weight loss stops.

Are you exercising? I was lucky and my weight came off pretty quick but I have noticed that my weight loss has slowed down dramatically since I kicked my exercise into high gear. I am now riding my bike 15-30 miles a day. I struggle with the scale. I have a numbers in mind that I am obsessed with hitting. I don't want to hear, "muscle weighs more than fat" from anyone because I want to weigh 150lbs!!! But the reality is, it does and it took months for me to look at the big picture which are things like my arms are looking better, my side fat is the least it has ever been.... But I just can't hit my goal! Hang in there. I think we all have felt frustrated at some point.

Also, some things you can look into is building muscle and you can get an online Nutrition Coach that can really help you evaluate your diet. I have an aunt that has had a nutritional coach for over a year and is eating and feeling better than ever. I have thought about it myself. There are so many misconceptions about food. Good luck!

I did not lose quickly. Slow and steady is still losing. I am approaching 15 months post op and am still losing. I had slowed down a great deal a few months ago and then last month I lost 10 pounds. I really didn't do anything different. Don't give up. I think sometimes our bodies need time to rest. As long as you are following your plan and getting healthier you are a winner.

I'm only 12 days out and down a quick 30lbs. My understanding is the surgery is a tool or kick start to get your weight loss going in the right direction (south).

For continued weight loss, I believe exercise will be the key for me after I drop the initial 70-80 lbs. A good mix or cardio and weight/resistance training will be key. You should always do weight/resistance training before cardio. Resistance training will get your heart rate up, so it will be elevated when you get on the treadmill or elliptical. If you start with cardio, you'll spend the 1st 20 minutes getting your heart rate up. Also, by adding resistance training, you will burn more calories even after your workout.

Back