• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Do you have these kind of days?

Lesa Marie

Being that I’m over a month post op I can usually eat a decent bit for my little stomach but today is just off. The first 2 weeks after surgery I wasn’t hungry AT ALL. But ever since I love food again. However, I don’t feel very hungry at all today. My stomach just feels funny and I’m struggling getting fluids down cause putting anything in my body seems difficult today. Sorry for the TMI but my bowel movements are just fine, maybe more than fine lol. It’s weird having your brain feel one way and your stomach feel another. The food I have had today tasted wonderful but my stomach just isn’t having it and now my brain is confused lol cause I’m starting to feel nauseous just thinking about eating or drinking. I don’t even know if I’m making sense but that’s just what’s going on with me and I was wondering if any one else has experienced random days or maybe weeks like this. Hopefully this is just a day thing. I’m still so new to this.

I am 2 1/2 months out I still have days like this. Today is one for me. I am having a hard time with even my water. Just one sip feels like I could give it back. I have not been having 2 days in a row like this so I think that is good. so I don't think I will hit my marks today but should be good and hit them tomorrow. I think this has to be normal. told the RN at my 6 week she was like okay at long as you get your proteins and water in most of the time that is fine.

I am 2 1/2 months out I still have days like this. Today is one for me. I am having a hard time with even my water. Just one sip feels like I could give it back. I have not been having 2 days in a row like this so I think that is good. so I don't think I will hit my marks today but should be good and hit them tomorrow. I think this has to be normal. told the RN at my 6 week she was like okay at long as you get your proteins and water in most of the time that is fine.
I think at this point when we feel this bad or just not up for eating much to at LEAST get our water in cause I’ve already been in the ER once for dehydration and my body ached all over. I was told that my joints weren’t getting the proper hydration so that’s why I felt the pains I did. But I’m glad that this isn’t totally abnormal.

I think at this point when we feel this bad or just not up for eating much to at LEAST get our water in cause I’ve already been in the ER once for dehydration and my body ached all over. I was told that my joints weren’t getting the proper hydration so that’s why I felt the pains I did. But I’m glad that this isn’t totally abnormal.
OH Wow be careful with the dehydration. I get in over on my water most day, I think that is why on my low days I have not been having any problems. How low is your water on your low day? I will say I am still 50 oz. on my low days. but 70 to 80 oz. on most days.

OH Wow be careful with the dehydration. I get in over on my water most day, I think that is why on my low days I have not been having any problems. How low is your water on your low day? I will say I am still 50 oz. on my low days. but 70 to 80 oz. on most days.
Well ever since that ER trip I make sure to get in anywhere between 64-72oz but never less than 64oz cause like I said I don’t want to be in that situation again. But I think prior to that I was only getting in MAX 36oz a day but probably not even that.

I've had that. Felt bloated and didn't want to drink or eat anymore. I cut my protein to almond milk to 4oz instead of the 11+ oz drinks normally. Then just drink water to make sure I'm getting my water for the day. Anything else I'll get some meat in. I don't have much food cravings after that and I stop eating or drink at least 3hrs before bed.

Another situation I had early, I use a Hidrate bottle that advises and reminds me how much to drink and when. It was initially telling me at my height an weight to drink 200oz a day. I felt so bloated trying to drink that much and was peeing mineral water. I changed the weight to my goal weight and it changed to 80oz a day and my urine now appears normal hydration. I'm 6'7.

Whenever my tummy feels unsettled, I think it is telling me I ate too much. Adding water then makes it worse. But that is my opinion. I back off for an hour or two then try a sip of water. If that doesn’t make me feel uncomfortable I will do small sips of water for a while. It might delay my next meal/snack, but it is better than trying to push myself.

Around my one month time I was on soft foods and was able to have oatmeal, I was so excited. First day went great. I used repacked oatmeal. Second day I couldn’t finish. My stomach started protesting. Even though it was portioned it was too much.

Whenever my tummy feels unsettled, I think it is telling me I ate too much. Adding water then makes it worse. But that is my opinion. I back off for an hour or two then try a sip of water. If that doesn’t make me feel uncomfortable I will do small sips of water for a while. It might delay my next meal/snack, but it is better than trying to push myself.

Around my one month time I was on soft foods and was able to have oatmeal, I was so excited. First day went great. I used repacked oatmeal. Second day I couldn’t finish. My stomach started protesting. Even though it was portioned it was too much.
I feel this way even on an empty stomach. It’s a new and strange feeling. I almost feel full all the time or like I’m starving myself LOL (I make no sense lol) but I’m at the point now where I hardly ever think about food so hubby reminds me to eat or when I feed my kids it sets off an internal reminder. Weeks 2-4 I was doing great and was enjoying all different types of foods but something is going on now that flipped that switch off. I was told I should be losing between 2-4lbs and I almost lost 5lbs last week so I’m doing well with that but probably cause I’m just not eating as much now lol. Oh and I ALWAYS stop eating when my stomach has a heavy feeling bc I no longer have the same fullness feeling as I had prior to surgery.

For months I fluctuated hunger. Sometimes I was very hungry and could eat more than normal. Other times I wasn't hungry at all and a bite or two would do me. It's just your body adjusting to your new reality. If you are not nauseous all the time, having pains or unable to keep food/water down I would not worry about it. WLS is a big change to your body, especially your stomach. And it's going to be a bit moody about it .. just like you are lol

I have been like that since surgery. I took advantage of this time to NOT eat and keep the scale moving downward. I was nauseous a lot but that is how I am anyway. The changes to the body are so huge including the weight loss, my endocrine system was whacked out for a while. My body skin is recovered now (8 months out or so), but keeping the hydration up externally was a process. I still am working at it.
Admit I was jealous of going to break with a friend who had the sleeve also a month after mine and she can eat so much! That drove home to me how different we are all inside. I barely manage a bite or two most of the time and I am full, going over is something I learned NOT to do. I also had two "doc in the box" ER visits for IV fluids, felt the surgeon deserted me after surgery. They should have provided hydration in their office, just my opinion.

I’ve been there (ER) for dehydration, low potassium and a UTI all at once. That was about 3 weeks out from surgery and I only knew something was wrong cause all my joints were aching. Now 90% of the time I do great at keeping my hydration up. I understand when you say that it bothered you a bit when your co worker was able to eat so much however on the flip side of it she is less likely to lose as fast. I pretty much snack most of the day with 2 “meals” but those meals consist of 4-6 bites MAX. So I have a hard time doing the waiting 30 min before and 30 minutes after food to drink fluids. I still manage though. This past week that I haven’t been wanting to eat much I at least make sure to get those fluids in cause then you just feel like absolutely crap being dehydrated.

Now 90% of the time I do great at keeping my hydration up... This past week that I haven’t been wanting to eat much I at least make sure to get those fluids in cause then you just feel like absolutely crap being dehydrated.
AMEN!

I'm lucky because I've always craved water. After my morning coffee, I fill 3 2-liter bottles with spring or filtered water and have a bottle with me every second of the day.

I get a sensation in the upper back of my water that makes me feel parched. It's really uncomfortable so I take a drink to make it go away.

But I can't stand tap water so I have stacks of 2.5 gallon pure water containers from the store in a conspicuous place 24/7. Some days I drink more water than I eat food. It's a trade-off. I'm pretty sure it's the reason I've maintained my weight for a dozen years.

But I totally understand how people struggle with drinking water, especially because it's easy to get waterlogged. And there's a real difference between how one source of water tastes compared with another.

I urge anyone who struggles to search the Internet for tips. There are a billion of them!

AMEN!

I'm lucky because I've always craved water. After my morning coffee, I fill 3 2-liter bottles with spring or filtered water and have a bottle with me every second of the day.

I get a sensation in the upper back of my water that makes me feel parched. It's really uncomfortable so I take a drink to make it go away.

But I can't stand tap water so I have stacks of 2.5 gallon pure water containers from the store in a conspicuous place 24/7. Some days I drink more water than I eat food. It's a trade-off. I'm pretty sure it's the reason I've maintained my weight for a dozen years.

But I totally understand how people struggle with drinking water, especially because it's easy to get waterlogged. And there's a real difference between how one source of water tastes compared with another.

I urge anyone who struggles to search the Internet for tips. There are a billion of them!
That’s so good that you enjoy water that much! I enjoyed it more before surgery but I think it’s bc I ate so unhealthy and really salty or sweet foods that made me thirsty all the time but now it’s more like a chore to get all these fluids in but I’m doing it :) Also, congrats on keeping the weight off for so long! I’m fairly new here so I wasn’t familiar with your story. Take care!

Just my thoughts I think if you don't feel bad drinking with or shortly after meals, then I don't see it's a huge issue. I am usually too full right after eating and if I try to drink I get an uncomfortable reminder that I am full. Sometimes I can do certain things like some crackers and drink a tea. I am constantly trying to intake fluids all day and night, unfortunately it is nearly impossible at work. I did notice a difference in skin hydration when I was finally getting in enough liquid, the skin finally started to look like my previous skin, not all dry and parched. I use more products but I might suggest my very favorite is Josie Maran's Sugar Scrub, it is "clean" beauty with no artificial stuff in it. The sugar is a major humectant and it is full of oils that leave you soft and hydrated. It saved me post op.

I gotta say I love water too. We have good tap water where I'm at in the Black Hills of SD. Friends from Phoenix AZ cant seem to get enough while they are here. Of course their area municipal water is like over chlorinated pool water with all the pools draining into the aquafer. I prefer mine cold right out of the fridge dispenser which is filtered. If I run out of water out in the plains I've filled up with unfiltered and it isn't the same. Nor does bottled water frequently taste as good. I have to have it cold though and that's where the injection molded Rtec, Yeti and my Hidrate Stainless Steel water bottles come into play. I can put 1-3 bottles in the car and they'll stay ice cold all day.

Back