• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Doing Sleeve 1-14-14

kambruce

Hi everyone,

This is my first time. I have been reading all the posts and they are very helpful. I have been scheduled at UC Davis for 1-14 for the sleeve. I can't wait to get started on this journey.

Heh Kambruce, I had my surgery there with Dr. Ali, just love that warm and charming man and a world class surgeon. Who is your surgeon? Everyone including the janitorial staff and parking lot attendants are friendly and happy to be working at UCDMC. The nursing staff was great, everyone was very supportive and encouraging. You'll do well and everyone will be there to make sure you do, so rest assured, you are in very good hands.

So excited for you. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thank you so good to know. I have Dr. Ali also. Do you attend the support group? I plan on doing so after surgery. Thank you everyone for your good wishes.

Hi everyone,

This is my first time. I have been reading all the posts and they are very helpful. I have been scheduled at UC Davis for 1-14 for the sleeve. I can't wait to get started on this journey.

WELCOME to the forum, Kambruce!!! Good Luck with your surgery. :)

Thank you so good to know. I have Dr. Ali also. Do you attend the support group? I plan on doing so after surgery. Thank you everyone for your good wishes.

I haven't had a chance to get to the support groups because the evening timeline is hard for me to get to durning the work week. Tuesdays are particularly hard for me so no I haven't gone to any. I'm surprised that the Sacramento area is woefully lacking in Bariatric Support Groups. I've Googled and did a search from this site but have not found any except the one at UCDavis Medical Center. It's crazy, in the South Bay or Silicon Valley where I am from and still run my landscape business, there are at least six that I know of off the top of my head. So what's up with that?

Once my schedule settles down I plan on attending the Support Group. I like Elaine, our Nutritionist, who runs the Group and I know I will get a lot out of it so I do want to go and will. I'd love to meet you there.

Have a great time with your surgery. LOL I know that sounds funny, but somehow it's appropriate. Be sure to ask Dr Ali about his trip to China and the lecture he gave. You'll see his face light up. He really loves what he does. Please tell him Katie Exum says Hi.

Best surgery wishes are being sent your way. See you on the other side.

Welcome to the Group Kambruce. You are starting out on an exciting rollercoaster of a ride that does get easier the farther out you get. You're going to do great, just follow the plan from the Nutritionist and the Dr., attend regular support group meetings and chat with us online. Support is very underrated by so many people, but being able to talk with others who are experiencing many of the same things you are is very helpful. My wife is my biggest fan, but she doesn't always understand what I'm going through. My support group and the people on this board do. Good luck and stay in touch.

Frank

:cool:

Thank you all. I will definitely stay in touch. Katie I am out of the area and they told me I would be released the next day. I'm concerned about being discharged so soon. I have to stay either at the Kiwanis House or the hotel so I am close to the hospital for 1 week. I am going to check both out tomorrow. Were you released the next day? Seems a little early. I do pre-op tomorrow and will address that. I will give Dr. Ali your best. Thanks again.

Dr Ali will not release you if you are not ready to go home. He came by everyday sometimes twice. Then Dr Aragon came by too, so you'll see your surgeons often each day. I'd say I saw them three to four times a day. I was expecting toy come home the next day but I couldn't keep the liquids down. It was awful but the doctors and nurses helped me to get it under control and I finally went home the third day. Three ladies, two who had Weight Los surgery and one to have her gallbladder removed after her surgery 18 months ago came and went while I was there. I was getting very discouraged. I never had any pain but a lot of nausea and heartburn. My esophagus was swollen and so it felt like I was swallowing knives when I drank water. Warm broth and herbal tea helped and allowed me to drink but then I'd get sick and throw it up. Dr Ali said it seemed that 1 out 5 sleeve patients have this problem. Once he got me to try some pain med and got the correct anti nausea combination of meds figured out along with the nurses timing all five meds so that I could finally keep down 16 oz of water I felt like I could go home. Dr Ali told me that I had to try to get at least 38- 40oz of fluids down. The thickness of the protein drinks were easier than clear liquids, but cold was impossible for me so everything was room temp or warmer.

The point I'm really trying to make is this, I've taken care of the one in five who get sick like this so don't worry. And most importantly, Dr. Ali is such a nice guy he is so sensitive to his patients needs, you won't have to worry about being discharged before you are ready.

You will probably need to stay locally for two weeks if you live more than one hour away. You will have a two week appt. with the Nutritionist and Nurse practitioner to have your stables removed. You'll see Dr Ali too, I seemed to be there for a long time. I also had blood taken a few days after being discharged so you need someone to give you a ride to and from the hospital. If you need any help let me know. Don't worry, the future is going to be alright.

Ttyl,kt

Thank you. That really helps to know this. I do not know if I can afford to stay 2 weeks. I live about an hour away barring traffic so I hope, the second week I am able to drive myself home. I will keep you posted. You really helped allay some of my fears.

Hi Kambruce....I had the Sleeve back on November 11th, 2013 and was surprised on how fast I recovered from surgery. Hint: Walk, walk and more walking. Not only does it help get you back on your feet, it is essential to prevent or alleviate the gas pains up in your shoulders (not fun). Good luck with your surgery and let us know how you are doing. By the way....in the 8 weeks since having my surgery, I have already lost 38 lbs.

Congratulations. I have a bum knee and since I have to stay at the hotel across the street for 7 days, I plan on walking with a walker for a few days up and down the hall of the hotel. I heard that walking alleviate's a lot of those issues. I will keep folks informed. Getting anxious as the date draws near.

Back