• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Eating Issues

Hello everyone! I am a newbie here and I had my Roux-en-Y on Jan 11th. So almost 4 weeks out. I have been having a lot of trouble getting food down due to mucus and it doesn't seem to matter if I drink hot liquids first or not. The first bite always gets me then I struggle for a long time to keep it or not. Any ideas on getting past this?

Eating

I had my surgery on the 16th and I am having a completely different issue then you. however to get passed the mucus the best thing to do is deep breathe and make sure you cough it out. Theraflu helps to alleviate it if doctor gives permission. My issue is that I already feel like I can eat 2oz or 3oz and I am not at that stage yet. I don't know if some people move faster than others if anyone knows please let me know.

Judy-Welcome to the forum. My RNY is scheduled for 2/27. Try using that breathing contraption they gave you to use in the hospital. I had hernia surgery last June and was still congested for a while when I returned home. I noticed a big difference within 1 day of using it 2 or 3 times an hour. Make sure to come back to the forum to let us know how you are doing.

Thank's for the answers :) Pat...I am not sure that's the same kind of Mucus. This comes natural in your esophagus. Only since surgery I have a lot and it seems to keep my food from going down and staying down.

I think we are so excited when the weight start to come off that we may tend to try to push it tooooo fast. Eat slower and no longer than 15 minutes. Otherwise it could give you some grief down the line and you don't want to end up like me and gain back weight.patti

hang in there It will get better. You have to figure oout what works for you. that mucus is nasty and I found that by pushing fluids it thins down the mucous so it is easier to swallow. You wiil be surprised how many things are resolved by just drinking,drinking,drinking....patti

Thanks Patti! Your so helpful! Today was a fluid only day as soon as I woke! I couldn't even keep my vitamins in by sucking on them. Still made me sick!
But I know it will get better :)

Didn't your Dr recommend chewable or liquid vitamins ..... it makes it much easier. Had my RNY 12/6/11 but I had no trouble with mucus. My biggest trouble was and sometimes still is nausea after I eat for like the first 30 min. If I rest it goes away pretty quickly. Does not always happen and has nothing to do with type of food I've eaten. Have had the same thing and one day am fine and the next day will feel sick afterwards. Just a "work in progress" I guess. Good luck to you.

NannyG

intermittent nausea seems to plague most of us. aftr all we are a new person on the inside and very sesitive to change. be sure you tkae it slowly. If you are having any problem with prtein change it to cheese or protein drinks and give your tummy a rest......patti

How about thinning down the purreed proteins even more with a bit of water or bouillion? This should make it go down easier since there will be less resistance. And like Patti said-drink those fluids to thin out the mucus. I am really learning a lot by reading everyone's issues and progress. I think it will make my transition easier. So, thank you everyone :)

Back