• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Eating out

Tokash

Had my first experience eating out tonight....not on purpose. We were out and about at dinner time and the kids were hungry so we ran through fast food. We swung through Arby's. I opted to get a beef in cheddar and just remove the roast beef and eat that....this was also my first very very near throwing up experience post op.

NOT AT ALL PLEASENT

Had my first experience eating out tonight....not on purpose. We were out and about at dinner time and the kids were hungry so we ran through fast food. We swung through Arby's. I opted to get a beef in cheddar and just remove the roast beef and eat that....this was also my first very very near throwing up experience post op.

NOT AT ALL PLEASENT
I'm sorry--that sounds like no fun at all. BUT it was a learning experience and one that you can use for better decisions later? At least, that's how I'd look at it.

I find that fast food meats are really challenging, especially early on. They tend to need to be chewed much more than "normal", and there is just something about them that sits like a rock and doesn't like to continue thru beyond my stomach. On one hand, this doesn't really bother me much because we don't have a habit of eating fast food much. On the other hand, there are times where it can be the only option (like on the road), but if I know I am going to be on the road, I will usually have some protein bars on hand as a back up.

Well I went to the Zoo yesterday with the grandkids brought water and protein water that I froze that kept me full, but then everyone wanted to go to Golden Coral to eat so I had to go. Got a little salad some fruit and then a piece of chicken and fish some beans. Ate just a bite of everything settle pretty well did have a little discomfort but not to bad I just thought to much money for what i was able to eat but I wasn't paying lol. I just think it is trail and error when it comes to what you can eat and not eat, and unfortunately we might have some issues figuring this out.

Oh, yes. My family loves to eat out and I have noticed that is not something I can do anymore. Certainly not fast food. Quite honestly, even deli lunch meat is a bit of a struggle. Apparently any meat that is too processed just does not work well with my new stomach. So, if anybody wants take out, we have to order from a local restaurant that uses real food. Thankfully, we live in an area with lots of those so they have options.

I found that for fast food, Wendy's Chili is pretty good. It's moist, high protein (16 grams) and good fiber (7 grams). Watch out for the sodium, it's pretty high. I have never had a problem with it. Arby's always gets me a little "green around the gills".

Ate just a bite of everything settle pretty well did have a little discomfort but not to bad I just thought to much money for what i was able to eat but I wasn't paying lol
My surgeon gave me a laminated card with his signature on it and on one side it says, "Please allow this patient to order from the children's menu. She has had gastric bypass surgery and her digestive system has been altered." Then on the other side it says, "No blind endoscopy" and other instructions in case of emergency. I didn't usually even need to show the children's menu side to a waitperson. I just ordered from the children's menu, or I ordered small sides like one egg.

I have to say, since surgery, I really hate fast food and even overpriced restaurant food that's supposed to be gourmet is generally pretty disgusting to me. That's probably why I cook at home so much.

We are not a family that eats out much either. Just happened to be really busy that day and the kids go hungry( they are 4 and 8 and do not have patience to wait long). Plus I am still re learning things and go from not hungry to bitch hungry instantly with no warning and if I dont eat shortly after I get light headed and usually a headache. I also went from almost everything running through me to now more constipation but thats likely because I am eating pretty much only meat because I am super low on protein and that is also messing with my body. I can't get enough in a meal to hit my goal and I am not allowed snacks.

I refuse to ever eat at chick fil a

We are not a family that eats out much either. Just happened to be really busy that day and the kids go hungry( they are 4 and 8 and do not have patience to wait long). Plus I am still re learning things and go from not hungry to bitch hungry instantly with no warning and if I dont eat shortly after I get light headed and usually a headache. I also went from almost everything running through me to now more constipation but thats likely because I am eating pretty much only meat because I am super low on protein and that is also messing with my body. I can't get enough in a meal to hit my goal and I am not allowed snacks.

I refuse to ever eat at chick fil a
I get hungry like that as well. When I first get up, I don’t eat for around 4 hours, just vitamins and tea. But then I eat about every 2 hours, I suppose because I can’t fit much in there Lol

My surgeon gave me a laminated card with his signature on it and on one side it says, "Please allow this patient to order from the children's menu. She has had gastric bypass surgery and her digestive system has been altered." Then on the other side it says, "No blind endoscopy" and other instructions in case of emergency. I didn't usually even need to show the children's menu side to a waitperson. I just ordered from the children's menu, or I ordered small sides like one egg.

I have to say, since surgery, I really hate fast food and even overpriced restaurant food that's supposed to be gourmet is generally pretty disgusting to me. That's probably why I cook at home so much.
yes i have one of those too, when going to buffet they said they would not except it. I haven't been to another restaurant that has a kids menu to show it. I'm trying not to eat out as much as possible. I'm eating mostly meats, chicken, turkey fish , tuna steak is to dense for me and pork too. I also don't eat hamburgers they just don't settle well. I try to get vegetables in as much as possible i love my veggies, i do very little if not any carbs i love them so i stay away from them. At this point after surgery going on 4 months i'm barely able to get me meats in if i try to eat my veggies then i don't get my protein in ugh. Any ideas on getting my veggies in too? How long before you are able to get protein and veggies in too?

Have you tried drinking V8 juice? When I found myself unable to eat as many vegetables and still get my protein in, I started drinking V8 juice. I don't like the fact that it is so processed, because I don't like any food that is so processed. But you need to get your protein in before vegetables.

If you love veggies passionately, then get your protein in early and you can eat vegetables the rest of the day. My doctor told me I needed 50 to 70 grams of protein and that's also the amount that's listed at the FDA site. Men need more but I don't know the number off the top of my head.

It is far more important to get the protein in because it's something that there just isn't very much of in any food that you eat. So, cheese, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, high protein meat and small amounts and protein drinks or powder. You can get all your protein in during breakfast and lunch. In fact you will still have plenty of calorie allocation at lunch because you will have gotten 50 grams of protein by then. So you can just go ahead and Chomp down on those veggies!

That's just one idea of many. Make sure you're taking your vitamins and minerals and make sure you have your doctor do a metabolic panel on you at least once a year so you can see what your levels are and that will help better to guide you.

Although I generally despised the protein shakes, they are a fabulous way to get your protein in if you don't feel like sitting around and eating 4 oz of this meat or 6 oz of that meat or 1/2 cup of this dairy product or whatever.

It makes sense that they wouldn't allow you to use your card at a buffet, but I have to ask you, why are you going to a buffet? That's one thing I learned really quickly. Buffets are a huge waste of money after you have had gastric bypass surgery. Buffets are designed for people who want to load up plate after plate after plate of food and have 20 course meals. It is the height of American gluttony and it's something that people really get in trouble with.

But I don't mean to infer that you are a glutton: please don't think I'm saying that. Every restaurants you go to and buy food in the United States they are going to give you a portion size that would easily feed two people. Their portion size might feed four people who had gastric bypass surgery. Return To Your Roots and weigh and measure everything. And if you go to a buffet, try to find the leanest protein they offer.

Veggies are not something that people should rely on, especially salads, after bypass surgery. You can get enough vitamins and minerals in using supplements and most people who eat salads and then can't figure out why they can't lose weight may be overlooking that salad is much more than just lettuce. If you put five leaves of iceberg lettuce on your plate and just chewed those without any dressing, that would be one thing. But you know, Americans love ranch and all the other creamy dressings. And a tablespoon is how much you're supposed to use according to the label on the side of the bottle. But we easily use the quarter cup or more. Just look what they bring you at Denny's if you ask for the dressing on the side. You cannot coat every leaf of your salad unless you put a ton of dressing on.

I think I think that it's just really important to develop mindfulness around food. And I think based on the little bit that you have said here oh, you need to learn to balance your proteins with your veggies. It can be done. I wake up everyday and eat exactly what I need in order to have a balanced diet and I don't even have to think about it twice. But if I have a salad with a creamy dressing, I dilute the dressing with milk before I put it on the leaves of lettuce.

But did you know there are 4 grams of protein in a serving of broccoli? Here's the FDA website where you can search each food and find out the nutrient value of each: FoodData Central

I don't know exactly when I started eating vegetables as a standalone item after surgery but it was within a few weeks. Sometimes I had to puree them or saute them until they were extremely tender. I mentioned iceberg lettuce earlier. Iceberg lettuce is one of those things like celery that actually requires more calories to eat than it adds to your calorie count. These tight cellular vegetables do not break down easily. You have to chew them like crazy and they continue to digest in your intestines. But don't try that with corn or tease, which are two high carbohydrate vegetables that are really delicious and easy to eat. They don't break down easily and I think the reason we love them so much when we are overweight is because we instinctively gravitate to things that have higher calories because that usually means a higher sugar content.

I have a lot of food items and there nutritional content memorized and they're just part of my thinking process now. But I also look up a lot of food before I eat them, especially brand-name Foods. And I hardly ever eat at restaurants, but that's more because I like to have control over what I put in my body. God knows what they're doing back there in the kitchen. I have worked in restaurants and I could tell you horror stories.

You can get little books that contain every food item alphabetically or whatever and list the calories or the protein content, or you can buy cookbooks that are specifically for post-op diets. The problem with cookbooks like this for me is that is usually a list of about 50 items that you have to go through before you can cook it. I'm exaggerating a little but I just do not like the going through list in order to get 1/8 of a teaspoon of this or a pinch of that. I actually cook instinctively and generally only use cookbooks for baking. Nevertheless, I have been told there are lots of good cookbooks out there and if you do a search through our old posts, you will find the titles of many of them.

I keep a journal with nutrient breakdowns.

Here are a few tips my dr gave me about eating at restaurants....
  1. Look at the menu before you go to figure out what you can eat
  2. When you order tell the Waiter/ Waitress to have the back split your food in half and to have them put the other half in a to go box Before they bring out your meal.

Here's my card, none the worse for wear. I'm actually going to make a new one on my computer and laminate it really tightly so it doesn't have something leaking in through the paper like happened to this one.

I keep it next to my driver's license and my cadaver donor card. That way, if I end up in the hospital and am unable to make decisions or they can't access my medical records, all the instructions are already there for them.

And while I am on the subject, I am guessing most people here have chosen to be organ donors. I remember signing up to donate my corneas when I was about 10 years old.

Over the years I carried different donor cards. Then I read about the shortage of cadavers available to medical students. In Seattle, I am in the presence of one of the best medical schools in the world. I decided to donate my cadaver so they could learn, and it's worth mentioning that they will undoubtedly learn new things about RYGB surgery and how it has affected my body.

I am really happy I made this decision, even though I would love to be an organ donor. But I'm 69 years old now. I don't think they're going to be able to get much use out of any of my organs by the time I die.

But my cadaver is priceless for the study of anatomy, and most people would rather be buried or cremated. They would rather be organ donors or not donate anything at all.

I would just like to say. I encourage anyone here to locate their closest medical school and ask about cadaver donorship. It is a really precious gift that you're giving to science and by doing so, you're making better doctors out of medical students.

At the UW Medical School, they will use my cadaver for a year or up to 18 months. Then they will cremate it and give my ashes to my son. He can also opt not to get my ashes and allow them to be disposed of, which is absolutely fine with me.

He is also a cadaver donor. I feel so lucky to have existed during so many years on this planet and to have had so many wonderful experiences. But they are all stored in my memory and my body is just a shell. I want to do something worthwhile with it.

Last edited:
The card was helpful for me because most of my restaurant experiences were family gatherings and I had not told them about my surgery and I didn't want them to know. So after the waitress handed out menus and fill our water glasses yeah, I would get up and find her and show her my card and explain that I needed this but I did not want my family to know so I needed to show it to her privately. I say waitress because I never had a waiter I had to show it to. It was always very handy and oh, yeah, it might be old school, but apparently so am I, since this surgery just wasn't that common 13 years ago. So the card was really necessary.

Back