• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Eating out

Had my first experience eating out tonight....not on purpose. We were out and about at dinner time and the kids were hungry so we ran through fast food. We swung through Arby's. I opted to get a beef in cheddar and just remove the roast beef and eat that....this was also my first very very near throwing up experience post op.

NOT AT ALL PLEASENT

Yes, and it’s not just fast food. I have to take all new foods super slowly, even when I make them myself. My sleeve tells me by the third bite if she’s not having it. And she’s psycho about it. Chicken in a chicken salad on a multigrain cracker fine. Baked chicken — plain — not ok. She only wants wet proteins like cottage cheese or stew. And she hates chopped greens in salad. So I eat a lot of the same stuff over and over.

And I’m such a waste in a restaurant where I can order off the appetizer menu or get a cup of soup and be full.

My loved ones always want to take me out for my birthday. But as you have just said, going to a restaurant is a complete waste of time. Even our monthly family gatherings at a Denny's restaurant ended up with me taking half of my breakfast home. All I got was scrambled eggs and fruit.

If I have a cheeseburger, I can eat two or three bites and then I have to put it in the refrigerator and it takes me another two days to eat it. Now oh, I admit, it gets a little gross oh, but it still tastes really good and it's saved me so much money in buying food.

Here's my card, none the worse for wear. I'm actually going to make a new one on my computer and laminate it really tightly so it doesn't have something leaking in through the paper like happened to this one.

I keep it next to my driver's license and my cadaver donor card. That way, if I end up in the hospital and am unable to make decisions or they can't access my medical records, all the instructions are already there for them.View attachment 3255

View attachment 3256

And while I am on the subject, I am guessing most people here have chosen to be organ donors. I remember signing up to donate my corneas when I was about 10 years old.

Over the years I carried different donor cards. Then I read about the shortage of cadavers available to medical students. In Seattle, I am in the presence of one of the best medical schools in the world. I decided to donate my cadaver so they could learn, and it's worth mentioning that they will undoubtedly learn new things about RYGB surgery and how it has affected my body.

I am really happy I made this decision, even though I would love to be an organ donor. But I'm 69 years old now. I don't think they're going to be able to get much use out of any of my organs by the time I die.

But my cadaver is priceless for the study of anatomy, and most people would rather be buried or cremated. They would rather be organ donors or not donate anything at all.

I would just like to say. I encourage anyone here to locate their closest medical school and ask about cadaver donorship. It is a really precious gift that you're giving to science and by doing so, you're making better doctors out of medical students.

At the UW Medical School, they will use my cadaver for a year or up to 18 months. Then they will cremate it and give my ashes to my son. He can also opt not to get my ashes and allow them to be disposed of, which is absolutely fine with me.

He is also a cadaver donor. I feel so lucky to have existed during so many years on this planet and to have had so many wonderful experiences. But they are all stored in my memory and my body is just a shell. I want to do something worthwhile with it.
At my next post op on Tuesday, I’m going to ask my doctor if I can get this type of card. Thanks for sharing

Eating out with me is an adventure! NOT a fun one either. I have severe food allergies (they started 4 years ago - brought on by a medication I was taking). I carry benadryl and 2 epi pens with me at all times.

Most restaurants have a book/menu with the food ingredients listed for people who have food allergies. They don't cover the food allergies I have. I'm allergic to:

Pepper/s - black pepper and green, yellow, red, chili, pepper flakes - ANY type of pepper known to exist

Cinnamon
Ginger
Arugula
Paprika - it's just ground up peppers

I haven't eaten a piece of Bojangles fried in over 4 years or Taco Bell tacos. I SO miss Taco Bell!!! I make tacos at home - but no taco seasoning. It looks like a taco - just doesn't taste like one. My poor husband and kids hit up Taco Bell during the week while they're at work. I jokingly told my husband if he truly loved me he would avoid Taco Bell - he said baby - I do truly love Taco Bell - he's an ass ;)

It doesn't just cause me issues if I eat any of the above items - I'm so sensitive to all of those things I can go into anaphylactic shock just by breathing around them. My youngest daughter and I were out shopping last Tuesday and we were in a store looking at Christmas decorations - and I lowered my mask and I took a deep breath - and didn't realize I was standing close to those cinnamon smelling pine cones a lot of people use. I immediately started feeling my throat and tongue tingle and start to swell. My daughter handed me 4 benadryl tablets - and I chewed them up. My lips, face, throat, tongue continued swelling and my daughter had to give me an epi shot.

I'm becoming more and more sensitive to the foods I'm allergic to - considering I don't have to eat it to have a life threatening reaction. I have to talk to the chef/cook in whatever restaurant we happen to be trying to eat. They have to know whatever food I'm eating has to cooked on a freshly cleaned surface - or a pan, it needs to be cooked with freshly cleaned utensils. If we're eating out with friends or family - they can't order food that contains any of the items I'm allergic to. See - it's NOT a fun adventure.

I never order my own meal when we go out - it's point less. Even if they pack up half of it for me to take home - I'd never be able to eat the other half they serve me. My husband and kids know my food allergies - so they order foods I can eat. I just get a little stuff off the their plates and I'm good. It's a waste of money.

I try to get vegetables in as much as possible i love my veggies, i do very little if not any carbs i love them so i stay away from them. At this point after surgery going on 4 months i'm barely able to get me meats in if i try to eat my veggies then i don't get my protein in ugh. Any ideas on getting my veggies in too? How long before you are able to get protein and veggies in too?
I am at 4 months post op as well and still can't get much more in than protein, protein, protein. I don't want to drink shakes all the time, so I try to get my protein from natural sources which just doesn't leave room for much else. I try to add veggies into whatever I am making. So sweet peppers into my chicken salad, riced cauliflower into casseroles, soups and chili. It doesn't add that much but my nutritionist said a serving of vegetables is now about 2T due to our new stomach size so that's not really all that much either.

At my next post op on Tuesday, I’m going to ask my doctor if I can get this type of card. Thanks for sharing

You can actually get a card for restaurants online. You can order them from Walmart and other places.

Bariatric Patient Restaurant Special Menu Request Card 2.0

I worked at Arby's many years ago and unless something has changed the beef isn't exactly what you think it is. It is a paste of some type with hunks of beef inside of it shaped into a "roast" that gets baked off in the ovens. When it comes out it miraculously looks like beef but very questionable if it really is, maybe soy? Don't get me wrong, it's tasty but 100% pure beef it is not. I think that is why fast food is so tricky to navigate.

i made homemade Italian Wedding soup with turkey meatballs, meatballs had onion powder, garlic powder, 1 egg, bread crumbs, then n pan you put chicken broth spinch carrots and orzo pasta bring broth to boil add everything else let boil for turn down heat to medium and cook 10mins or until pasta and carrots are done. there is 11 grams protein in soup and 9 grams protein in the shredded parm cheese. was really good.

Back