• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Emergency medical card for gastric bypass patients

Pat99

It's critical to have a medical alert device such as a bracelet, keychain or necklace to indicate you have had a gastric bypass. You can also get a FREE emergency medical card at the following link or you can make your own:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/Standard_AND_Enhanced_Medical_Alert_Card_Form_298118_7.pdf

Include the following in the condition area:

Gastric Bypass (plus date and year of surgery)
NO blind NG tube
NO NSAIDS/No sugars
(I had to use the patient advocate line to fit everything in plus I highlighted all of the above with a yellow highlight marker)

There are also sections for patient advocate, emergency contact and PCP contact information.

My husband and I just ordered are bracelets off lauren's hope.. Best thing we did since we had surgery.. If you do not have a bracelet or medical card after an accident or in an emergency you are putting yourself at risk for EMT to treat you with out knowing what life saving equipment they can or can not use on you...We both learned in group that if you need a tube put down your throat it is very dangerous if the EMT's do so and do now know you have had gastric bypass or banding..The EMT's can possible make things worse for you or kill you..

Please be safe and always wear a bracelet or carry a Medical ID Card..

Here is a link to why you need a medical id or bracelet.

http://blog.laurenshope.com/medical-id-jewelry-blog/bid/50075/3-Reasons-Why-Gastric-Bypass-Patients-Should-Wear-a-Medical-Alert

Greetings and Welcome Support Couple,

I am so impressed and inspired that the two of you decided to have your wls surgery at the same time. Talk about staying together!

Pat99 has spoken before about carrying a medic alert or wallet card. Until I read the article at laurenshope, I never really thought about the specifics of why or why not. Amazing! This is something that should be pointed out at every surgeon's/face-to-face's support group. And it isn't. I don't even want to think about the damage a well-intentioned EMT or other medico could do inserting a ng tube not knowing his patient has a very shallow, not-particularly-stretchy pouch, instead of the ordinary stomach.

I have forwarded this information to my son (rny 8-10-12). Thank you for posting it.

Back