• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Excited about my Upcoming Surgery Date!!! :)

Ok, so it has been FOREVER since I have posted here. I am sorry for abandoning everyone. Since I have gotten my iPad I don't get on my big computer much and this site was saved here. I now have it saved on my iPad so I can start keeping up better! I miss everyone and their stories and advice.

That being said, I finally have my surgery date. It is set for April 15, 2013. SO SO SO excited!! It is the exact date (and day of the week) that my mom had hers 11 years ago, by the same surgeon!! If that isn't cool enough, the year my mother had her surgery, I graduated the following May. My mother will graduate the following May with her BA. I found that to be so cool and ironic!! I start my two week diet on Monday and I have my EGD and tests done on Tuesday. Then it will be just a little under two weeks til I have my surgery!! I so so so excited (if you haven't gotten that by now LOL).

Anyone have any suggestions or advice for immediately after surgery or during hospital stay?? Love to hear from everyone!!

Hi Hollie, Congrats on your surgery date. Those are some pretty cool coincidences you've got going on there. I'm assuming your mother has done well in her journey, so this all bodes well for you.

Advice after surgery, get up and walk as soon as they will let you. The more you walk the first few days after surgery, the less gas pain you'll have. They inflate your abdomen with gas during the surgery and it needs to be worked out, hence the walking. Also have a water bottle ready, because once your cleared to start drinking, you'll need to sip sip sip. Then walk some more. Don't be too worried about getting enough water and protein at first, just get as much in as you can. It will get easier as the days go by. Lastly, don't step on the scales all the time, like I did. First thing I did when I got home, was to step on the scale and see how much weight I'd lost. I gained 10 pounds, you talk about mad, frustrated and regretting it, wow. Only when I checked in here did I find out that weight gain during surgery is normal. Good luck and come back much more often.

Frank

:cool:

Thank you. Yes my mom is doing well. And thank you for the advice. I suppose the walking will help with the post surgery pain as well.

Lots of sugar free popsicles! When I felt I couldn't take another drink of water, popsicles were my friend and kept we well-hydrated. The cold felt good in my stomach and they taste great too! Walk and drink, walk & drink....I even dream of someone telling me to walk & drink! LOL

Well I can't give any person experience from the hospital stay, but coming from a nurse level ..... Rest, sip sip sip, and walk when you are allowed up. Please keep us posted :)

Back