• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Excited and Scared!

GCooper

I decided to have weight loss surgery and I'm so excited and scared. Tomorrow I go for my intake appointment with all the testing and so on. I don't know what to expect or if its a pass or fail type situation. Psych evaluation makes me nervous. Im not crazy, lol, just don't know what to say. My uncle passed from weight loss surgery in 1973 when they first started doing it, so my mother is not in favor of this at all. Medicine has come a long way and it is not at the top of my list of concerns. My concerns lie more with my horrible health issues right now, and not doing anything about it. I'm 47 and I'm still young enough to enjoy life and my grandkids. I want that so much. Advise Please, Im really nervous. Thanks

GCooper-Welcome to the forun and congratulations on your decision to have WLS. Have you decided which surgery you are having? Don't worry about the psych evaluation. I had a 15 minute interview with the psychologist who asked some general questions and some questions regarding my eating habits, nothing "embarrasing". Then I has a 50 question multiple choice test. Quite a few of the questions were the same except they were worded differently. The other tests you need to have may include EKG, pulmonary, sleep study, ultra sound of heart and bloodwork for sure. Some surgeons require more and some less.

Yes, things have come a long way in medicine and WLS is no exception. Back in the day it started with stomach stapling. I started researching WLS over 6 years ago and it has changed even during that time period. You will find a wealth of support on this forum so make sure you come back to let us know how your journey is going.

Awe!! Thank you. I'm leaning toward gastric bypass. I initially was going to get lap band but have changed my mind. Thanks for all the encouragement

Hi GCooper Welcome, Just be yourself with the psych eval, I remember the questionaire taking the longest. Pat is right about things always progressing with WLS where I had mine done 2 years ago they only offered the Band or RnY and since then they now have the Gastric Sleeve, the weight loss is about the same as a RnY but not all insurance companies are accepting it until they get more statistics on it however they have been doing the sleeve in Australia for a while.

As for medical issues, I had High BP and cholesterol and both were normal within a week and I was off the meds. Rember though it is a tool we can use to stay healthy, it has been a wonderful journey for me and I can now run around the hillsdes with my grandkids when we are out hunting. Good luck and let us know how everything goes. :cool: Tom

Thanks for all the encouragement. Some of my friends a family are being negative. I'm not talking to them if they have nothing positive to say! I'm glad I have y'all

Hello,

As I wrote to someone else I allowed family to change my mind and doing that I lost a whole year before I said no I am doing this. The whole process took me 2 years instead of 1. I am just 3 months in and wish I was a year and 3 months.

I had the sleeve, it is worth it, and you are still very young!

Good Luck!

hi GCooper

welcome you'll find wonderful support in this room, and the people are great about answering your ? and concerns, we've all experienced the anxiety and being scared too.
but a new healthy journey awaits all of us because of the weight loss surgeries that are avaiable to us now, yes you're young life has alot to offer and being able to enjoy your grandchildren will become alot more fun because you'll be able to do more things with them. I'm 55 and thought I was too old for the surgery, Dr say's to us that's young, made me feel good can't wait to have my surgery so I can really begin to feel good and be much healthier.
Please come back and share your thoughts you'll like this room, I love it.
Donna

I decided to have weight loss surgery and I'm so excited and scared. Tomorrow I go for my intake appointment with all the testing and so on. I don't know what to expect or if its a pass or fail type situation. Psych evaluation makes me nervous. Im not crazy, lol, just don't know what to say. My uncle passed from weight loss surgery in 1973 when they first started doing it, so my mother is not in favor of this at all. Medicine has come a long way and it is not at the top of my list of concerns. My concerns lie more with my horrible health issues right now, and not doing anything about it. I'm 47 and I'm still young enough to enjoy life and my grandkids. I want that so much. Advise Please, Im really nervous. Thanks
I was always to scared to even look into it until last year a friend of mine had gastric another had lapband and i chose sleeve, it was the best thing i ever did, my family was against it too but i was comfortable with my decision and for once i did it for ME. I am down 100lbs since sept 2011 and i am also 47. Good luck to you!!!

Hi GCooper, Welcome. I'm fairly new too. I had my sleeve surgery 1 week ago. The first few days, I felt like I got hit by a truck. But now, I feel great. Check into the sleeve if you haven't decided which WLS to do. Good luck!

Back