• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Family Support

NidiaG

Hi everyone
I've been skulking around reading hoping to find answers... My brother and my friend recently had the sleeve. My sister however refuse to have surgery and decided to go another route. I feel like I am not being supportive to my brother and my friend. PLEASE can anyone advice me.

Thanks

Hi everyone
I've been skulking around reading hoping to find answers... My brother and my friend recently had the sleeve. My sister however refuse to have surgery and decided to go another route. I feel like I am not being supportive to my brother and my friend. PLEASE can anyone advice me.

Thanks

Hello,

Why do you feel you are NOT supportive?

All you have to do is be upbeat and constantly encourage your brother and friend as they move forward in their new lifestyle. Come to understand how their new eating requirements must become habits for them to succeed.

Help them whenever they are wondering what they should eat. Read up on their food plan as they progress through their early weeks post op. It is a huge change for them and quite frankly for you.

Do whatever is needed to make sure they are included at the dinner table so they can remain part of the family dynamic. Yes, they will only have a few ounces of food at a meal and that is that. However, they certainly can have their meal when the family is having a meal. Understand that they have to eat more slowly than ever before in their lives. Otherwise, they will have difficulty and PAIN !!!

Encourage them to join this forum. Encourage them to find a local bariatric support group that they should attend at least once a month if not more.

Just be fully aware. When they have difficulty you will be able to advise them of their plan and help them to see where they may have NOT followed a guideline in their plan.

As to your sister refusing. BACKOFF! She simply was not ready. I went through the same cycle. Back in 2009 I attended meetings, started the process and then backed away from it. It just wasn't the right time for me. Now, in 2013 I had my surgery and I am happy I have had it. It is a process that she must go through and she must reach the "ready" decision on her own. Hopefully, she will see two fantastic examples in her brother's success as well as the friend's success. Then perhaps that will help her to make her decision in the future.

The fact that you came here says you are being SUPPORTIVE !!!

Best wishes,

Ralph

Hi everyone

Thanks

Hi Nidia, There are many roads to the same destination. Your brother and friend took a different route than your sister has. If your sister isn't successful in her weight loss journey, then maybe she will decide to have the sleeve at a later date. She especially may consider it if your brother and your friend lose their excess weight and she doesn't. Try to be supportive of your brother, your friend and your sister too. Weight loss is a personal decision and each person has to decide for themself how to lose their weight. :)

I can't say it any better than the others who've posted here! :D The fact that you care enough to want to be supportive demonstrates a LOT!!

Back