• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Feeling Overwhelmed with all of my tests pre-op

My surgery has to be done before December 31, 2013 due to insurance regulations (pilot program). I met with the bariatric team last mth, Aug. Since then I have had completed the exercise, cardiologist, and dietician appointments. I have even met with my dr. 2x already. I am scheduled for the psych eval next mth and a visit with the surgeon and a followup with the dietician in Nov. My surgery will b in December. TBH, I'm feeling alot of anxiety of how fast paced this is but I understand the time frame. My head is still spinning from my appts. yesterday. Next week I go to a seminiar and support meeting (separate days). I know I can do this but feeling a wee bit rattled.............

It took me five months start to finish and I it wasn't fast enough for me. I could not get a surgery date until January 22, and I had lost my pre-op weight by November 15, and had to sit and maintain my weight through the holiday season. Which went better than I had expected, I was bound and determine that nothing was going to stop me. A positive attitude will get you through the ups and downs of getting there, go with the flow and keep your goals in mind at all times. You are being given a wonderful opportunity for a new life and health and it maybe the only chance you have.

Last edited:
Well acutally I am feelling very fortunate to have been in this last batch of surgeries. There are 50 of us that met the criteria for the insurance pilot program. In fact there were 12 candidates in front of me before I made the cut. I have been reading and finding online resources for support, concerns, questions, etc. The dr. said 3 mths is the quickest turn around he could do....and it's flying by....I'm ready for this journey and excited as December quickly approaches !

By the time it happens you will be fine. You have recovery time after surgery so get your meds and proteins, and the rest will follow. You will be a shining example about why this is a good program. Many folks need and want the surgery and can't do it. It took me three years to get it even though I was 125 pounds overweight with diabetes. Be proud you are doing all these things and go for it. You won't regret it.

Stick with it.

I was somewhat lucky...my program combined the psych eval with the doctor and dietitian visit, so I was able to combine most of my appointments. And I got a surgery date scheduled the day after my insurance approval, at 15 days away so I had to start liquid diet immediately. I was glad it went so fast, but at the same time I think I missed some of the diet and "what to expect" discussion..there was a lot of information to process. I bought the wrong kind of Whey protein mix--I got the powder instead of the isolate, so it had lactose that ended up making me sick.
Don't be afraid to ask questions and go back over anything you feel unsure about, and try not to feel rushed. There are resources to help you, and you can find support even after your surgery, so try to see it as a mark in the road, rather than an endpoint.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

Well I got the last of my appts. scheduled today. I will visit the pulmonary dr. the same day as I visit with the surgeon next. After that just waiting for clearance from all my evaluations so a date can be set. I've found local support from others that are having the same procedure done next mth and we have been chatting and supporting each other. I go to my first ever support group meeting Thursday. Looking forward to it and meeting other ppl that have traveled this journey b4 me.

My process also took 5 months, which I thought was going to be an eternity, but wasn't. I had a lot of double-team appointments in the process too. The thing I wish I could have skipped was the "life skills" classes. Complete waste of time for me, and many others, especially since most of them turned in to "how to solve person X's personal problems". Poorly controlled by instructors, and the same information could easily have been given out in a packet with a quiz required to be turned in. Still, it whizzed by and now I'm learning how to cook puree for 1 and I'm clueless. Good thing there's the interwebs. :p

My time has gone by pretty fast. Went to an intro class in July. The quick start in Aug and my surgery us this Fri, Sept 27th.
It does make your head spin with all the info and everything you have to start doing but I'm feeling really good about it all.
I just pray for no complications. Other surgeries have not always gone so well but I am praying this one goes great!
I have lost 20#'s since I started this and hoping to loose much more.
Good luck and research, ask questions and trust your decisions.

Back