• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Fell off the wagon and New here!!!

Lisa S

I had my surgery almost 2 years ago I had the Realize Band.......I DID AWESOME for a little over a year....then the world took over, had a knee injury, I got depressed when my son was deployed to Afghanistan, my mother started having major health issues and memory problems(I was on my own my brother doesn't want to see it what so ever) I am in NJ and we got hit by quite a few major storms that cause major house damage that ins won't cover so financially we are having issues. That's only the tip of the iceberg for me....I had gotten down to 165 felt and looked great was working out, eating right things were going great for me emotionally and physically.....then one night my puppy decided he wanted to pee on the bathroom floor I walked in and stepped on the wet tile and fell hard on my knee cause a lot of bone spurs and knee sprain that put me out of commission with my working out and that started the downward spiral. So now I have gained 50 lbs back my joints hurt my back is killing me and I am mad at myself....I feel horrible physically and emotionally....I saw this forum and thought ok that's it I am ashamed and embarrassed I don't want to leave the house because I don't want to bump into anyone that saw me much thinner....so today right now I am going to organize myself and get back on the lifestyle I need to, to get back my health and thinner self....guess you could say AH HA MOMENT!

Hi Lisa, Welcome. I am Tom. First off don't beat yourself up, sounds like you have had a lot of stressers in your life recently, stress in itself trigger weight gain at worst or halt it at best, If you don't have a local support group please look for one in your area and check in with your bariatric doctor, try to make an appointment ASAP they can help you get back on track. This is a great site for support but there is nothing like a good 2 hour meeting once or twice a month, I still go and I am almost 2 years out. Good thing is you recognized what was going on. I have the R n Y, but I do understand the band a little, if you haven't done so already check in on the Lap Band Pages on the site Lots of folks there that can also help you through. Good luck, glad you came here, keep us informed on how you are doing. :cool: Tom.

Hi Lisa. Welcome to the forum. You're in the right place with a lot of wonderful people who can offer you a lot of support and encouragment. I agree with Tom...don't beat yourself up. You want to take steps to start losing weight again so you are moving in the right direction regardless of what the scale is telling you today. Just make sure to come back to the forum to let us know how you are doing and to share your experience with other's who are going through the same thing.

lisa. I connect with you. RNY 2003.did welluntil 2008. Had an auto accident that fractured my back and reinjured the compression of nerves in my lower back. I became less active but by the time I started to feel better physically I had already regained40 lbs and the gained another 10. I recuped from the falling down frequently using acane for almost a year.Originally 262 lost 120 became anorexic and struggled to eat in 2005.hit 160 and felt great. after I gothurt I was back to the chocolate and french fries and homemade bread with fresh blackberry jam and it goes on and on. well have I got some good news for you. another friend of mine had mentioned something about a 5 day pouch test to get back on track I am so tired of being fat.....just like an addict.keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results so we eat for comfort,we eat to stuff our feelings,we eat to taste it. Don't feel bad but get on your computer and look up 5 day pouch test and climb back up on this train for a journey to thinner days.patti

thanks....I need to make it commitment here and in my life I have to start feeling better.....during the storms we lost my treadmill and can't afford a new one but today I started just blasting music and dancing around I told myself that I would dance an entire song 6 times a day for now and if the rain ever stops I will hit the streets walking and will walk when the weather here holds up.....I hope that I can afford to pick up some protein powder next week and I will use that as a meal in the morning like I use to....I started eating slower and paying attention to proteins first then some veggie and a bite or 2 of starches :)

it's amazing how fast you gain when you'd been going 100 miles per hour and then there is a sudden stop....my body didn't like that stop at all....I did do the 5 day pouch test a few times and started over doing things again....I need to wait so I can pick up powder for my shakes and plan on doing that next week :)

tom feastorfamine (patti). I would like to go to some group meetings. the closest one is in lexington sbout two hours away, aand of course at nite. If I can make the arrangements I am going to try at least once a month. Monday I am going to do the 5day pouch test. got all of my supplies today. wish me luck patti

Thats great Patti, maybe you can find some people to ride share with who live on the way to help split up the drive, my support group in Medford is about an hour away, the one in town conflicts with my schedule and is inconsistant in the winter. Let us know how the pouch test goes, keep up the good work.:D

Lisa S, sounds like you are right on track, spring is just around the corner, we're already getting longer days here and it is warm enough to go walking when it's not raining. Keep it up.

Tom :cool:

Back