• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Finally, finally, finally got a date!

Karenina

After almost 3 years of preparation I finally got a date! I am glad I've had this time to think and prepare and meet you all. Wish me luck!

I go for my pre-op education class tomorrow. Everyone talks about the emotional roller coaster after surgery, but what about the one before surgery? I slip from happiness to dread to excitement to I-can't-believe-I'm-doing-this to I-probably-should-cancel. All day long, and in the middle of the night when I wake up. It's gone from a theoretical idea to something that is really going to happen (unless I cancel, which I don't really think I will).
I still haven't told a soul (unless you count the millions of people on the internet). I am a private person and half of me thinks it's nobody's business, but the other half is just egotistical enough to be afraid to admit that I can't do this on my own. I've also spent most of my adult life telling people I didn't care what I weighed, because I was relatively healthy and hadn't got diabetes YET. My weight was not interfering with what I wanted to do, mostly because I had had my knees replaced so my activity level was good. Of course, I never admitted that the knee replacements were necessary because of all the strain that was put on them because of the weight. It was "arthritis".
One of my biggest stressors now is how am I going to get 3 weeks off from work without explaining the reason why to my boss.

I am right there with you on the roller coaster before surgery. Don't give up!
As far as work, just let him know you are having surgery for a "female" reason, and I promise he won't ask anymore questions on that subject.

I didn't broadcast what I was doing either, I told my family and a few friends and my boss. A good boss will keep your medical information confidential and if yours isn't that trustworthy, well, there is not much you can do about it. I reckoned I would keep him in the loop would avoid issues latter on. I think he appreciated that I was up front with him and he did keep it on the down low. Eventually I told my coworkers the story, most were supportive a few with snide remarks but I knew who they would be before they said anything. Nothing succeeds like success, I've won over everyone's support. There was only one knucklehead she has her own weight issues. Honesty is truly the best policy in my opinion but you know your situation better than anybody else. Wishing you well.

I am right there with you on the roller coaster before surgery. Don't give up!
As far as work, just let him know you are having surgery for a "female" reason, and I promise he won't ask anymore questions on that subject.
I had a boss like that once! But unfortunately, my boss is a female so that wouldn't work. She'd want to know every detail.

Thanks dcepello. I know you're right. I guess in my mind I'm willing to tell anyone after I've gotten closer to my goal. I just don't want people trying to talk me out of it. Or staring at everything I eat.

I haven't been on lately and was so glad to see this when I opened up the site. You have certainly had to wait a long time. Of course you are on an emotional roller coaster. Most people would have given up. You are strong and determined even if you don't feel that way all the time. I dealt with my HR dept and told them only what they needed to know. I was having surgery and how long I would be out. I did tell a few friends at work and they were all supportive. If you don't think this is the case, don't tell. Remember those that don't support you have no idea what you have gone through with her battle with obesity, and all you have done to get to this decision. I am so happy for you. You have done an amazing job in preparation for surgery. Keeping you in my thoughts.

Back