• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Finally got my date!!!

I have been lurking on here for a few weeks now - checking things out and reading posts! I finally got my date - one week from today (oct 2nd). I am so excited but still a little nervous. I am glad it is so soon so I don't have to fret over things. Seems like it has taken forever to get to this date! ~Kathy

Scrapwithhash-Welcome to the forum and congratulations on deciding to have WLS. Since your surgery is in a week you are probably on a pre-op diet or perhaps you are one of the few lucky ones who don't need to follow one. Anyway, make sure to come back to the forum to let us know how you are doing.

Thanks! I am one of the lucky ones who doesn't need the liquid diet before surgery. I am excited to just get it over with and start my new journey. This week seems to be crawling one day and flying the next!!! I am looking forward to sharing news and tips, etc with everyone here! thanks for the support!

Scrapwithhash-You will find great support here and will also be able to help others with your support. I'll be counting the days until your surgery and am sending well wishes your way :) :) :) You won't believe how fast the pounds will drop off, especially in the first 4 to 6 months. It makes it all worth it.

I wanted to let you know that feeling a rush of all types of emotions is normal. I call it an emotional rollercoaster ride. I had such apprehension that I almost backed out. It's not like I'm a stranger to surgery but I was overly concerned for some reason. Well, my fears were unfounded. I was given medication for any pain I was having and was checked up on every little while. My only "complaint" is that I didn't sleep after the first 24 hours post surgery. The truth is that I have problems sleeping anyway but was hoping that between the anesthesia and pain meds it would relax me enough to get some badly needed rest. I spent most of my time in the recliner that was in my room and watched TV most of the time.

The day following surgery you will be told to get up and walk, walk, and walk some more. This will help with any pain you may have and also help ease the gas pain you will get. Ask for Gas-Ex if they don't offer you any. Also ask for more pain meds if you feel you need them. I was kept comfortable with whatever they were giving me but some people need a little more based on their pain tolerance. When you return home make sure you stay hydrated. Just keep a beverage you like with you at all times and sip slowly throughout the day. You will feel miserable if you become dehydrated and end up in the ER with an IV so please get those badly needed fluids in. It will be tough the first week but you have to do it. I'm sure you know all of this already but it doesn't hurt anything to hear it from someone who has had the surgery already.

Scrapwithash I felt the exact same way, my surgery was Monday and it went very smoothly... I agree with everything Pat said... moving and walking is very important, I was one of eight surgeries on Monday and I was the only that had the by pass, other 7 had sleeves; I was the first released and the one recovered the most the nurse said because I was walking and using my spirometer, etc without being pushed, they never even had to remind me... honestly I felt better walking the halls then sitting or laying down... getting up and down wasn't fun but it was worth it... sending good thoughts your way!

So happy for you, that you don't have to wait forever, worrying about an upcoming surgery date. I got my date in July...Surgery on October 8, so I've had almost 3 months to watch the days crawl by, and to second-guess myself once in a while. Really, really not fun!

Best of luck to both of us!!!

Congratulation im so happy for you.im getthing mines in octuber.9.tl2012.im so exited and nervous

thanks for all the encouragement and tips! I am now waiting to call and get my time for tomorrow! I have been told getting up and moving is the key to successful recovery! That is my plan!!! I think the most encouraging thing I have had said to me came this morning from my 12 year old... I have to miss her field hockey game today (first missed game in years) and she said "it is ok mom, right now it is all about you". Brought me to tears! I will check in and let you know how it is going! thanks again all!

Hi Everyone...Okkkay...my pre op is tomorrow with dr. swartz or dr. felix...very anticipation, excitement, curiosity all that is just circuling within..im so happy and so ready to start this new journey and new life..my surgery date in Oct. 4, 2012..getting a bit nervous..i have children and l new grandbaby...im doing this me and my kids...we lost my mom recently and she was the best greatest glamama..i know shell be my angel watching over me..just nervous and dont know what to expect..anyone have any ideas on what to bring and what to expect after surgery?? could use some good advice..will let you know what happens next..been up lately with insomnia...i guess from excitement and a wittle bit of nervousness...

Chunkydunky-welcome to the forum and congratulations on deciding to take the WLS journey. Understand it is PERFECTLY normal to have a rush of different emotions all at the same time, especailly the closer to surgery you get (and the closer to the operating table). That's why they give you that little shot during your pre-op preparation. Around here we usually call it an emotional rollercoaster ride. Most of us go through it and all of us get through it nicely. The important thing to remember it that you have made the decision to have the surgery and you are doing it for you. Just keep coming back to the forum and sharing with us how you are feeling. This will help you a lot and you will hear from others what they went through before and after surgery.

Hi ChunkyDunky, Welcome. You sound pretty excited as you should be. I was also struck with insomnia the closer I got to my surgery date the harder it was to sleep, epecially the night befor surgery, I think I got 2 hours sleep:rolleyes:

Things to take, your own favorite pillow is always a must, some crosword or other puzzles/games like that, if you have a lap top that would be good, they usually have pre loaded games and most hospitals have free wi fi now, you will be too tired for cruzing the net though, your own jammies and slippers, so you dont have to use the hospital gowns, and maybe a couple of pictures of your kids and grand kids to make it more home like. Hang in there. :cool: Tom

HOPE you are doing well and walking around and home tomorrow or so. Where in MAINE are you having the procedure done? Are you having Bypass or Sleeve or belt surgery? Hope you write when you get home so we know you are doing well.

Thanks for the support while I was having surgery!!! I went in Tuesday morning and was home Wed afternoon! I had a little mishap of bleeding after they took out the drainage tube (so if that happens to you - I guess it is normal). I have been up and walking around. I am having a hard time getting in my liquids and protein but I am working on it. It is a FULL TIME job right now.
I had my surgery at CMMC in Lewiston Maine. If you are anywhere in the area, this is THE place to go! The bariatric staff is awesome... and the hospital is fantastic!

Lewiston Maine is kind of far to go for me, Boston has some very good Bariatric surgeons and one who has been doing it the longest was at Tufts and now at Brigham and Womens Hospital which is a great hospital. Boston University does Bariatric surg as well.
So it is hard getting in your water and protein because you are nauseated or just feel full or ??? You were done on Tuesday and home on Wednesday? WOW that is fast! They keep people 2 days in hospital here in Boston. Hope all goes smooth, you lose the weight you want to lose and healthy. Let us know how you are doing as you go along your journey. I am sure you are glad you have it behind you!!

Chunkydunky how are YOU doing???? You were done yesterday so probably not looking at the computer today but hoping you are hanging in and will let us know when you can!

Not sure why I had such a hard time getting it in yesterday. Today Iam more focused on it but it seems never ending!!! I am uncomfortable but not in pain. So telling when I am full is hard to distinguish for me right now. I am sure that If I was really full - my body would tell me!! :) My Bariatric team has put together a check list for me to keep track of what I need to get in each day; fluids, meds, shots, protein, etc. That really helps! Right now I am gettting in 2 oz of jello with a rushed med in it. Not on;y does it mask the taste of the meds but adds 2 oz of liquids to my total!!! Each day will get easier I am sure!!! This site is the best - full of tips and encouragement!!! Thanks all!

Back