• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Finally had my consultation with the surgeon yesterday.

fuww57

I had to wait a month for an appointment with the surgeon. In the meantime I had the endoscopy done (colonoscopy was already done in September and was acceptable to use). Surgeon and I both agreed that the sleeve would be the best procedure for me. The only bad news is that he wants a sleep study done. I had one done 7 years ago and it was hell. At least the surgeon's offer is refering me to what appears to be a nicer facility. His secretary set up a schedule based on a timeframe of having the surgery in June. She seemed very well acquainted with the insurance company's requirements. But it was very confusing to me. It seems like the insurance company needs to approve everything before you're given a surgery date but you must submit the evaluations within a certain time before the surgery date (which you don't know). So it's just a matter of following her directions when to have what evaluations, tests, etc. It looks like the only out of pocket expense, other than some co-payents is the nutritionist's fee as she does not take any insurance. But it's a lot less than paying the hospital bill so I'm okay with that.

fuww57 sounds like you're getting everything lined up, when my son has his sleeping test done he slept over night a the facility. they had a tv and nice bed and he said he had wires put on him and he slept well and all the results were sent to the dr office. follow all there rules(insurance co.) and your dreams will come true in June if not sooner. wishing you much luck.Donna

Thanks. As I said, I had a sleep study done 7 years ago and it was hell. The facility was horrible (the shower in the morning was disgusting for one thing). In fact, I had a look on the internet for reviews and found people are still complaining about it. I tried another facility for the cpap study and it was just as bad. So I don't have much faith in these places. But myu surgeon's secretary showed me a brochure of the place they are sending me and it does, if you can believe the brochure, seem to be an upscale facility. I just can't wait to get that over with.

Sleep study was done last night. It was better than the previous experience but it took a long time until I had a mask on that was comfortable and didn't leak air. So I didn't fall asleep until 2am and woke up at 5:30am. The good news is that the technician said I was sleeping soundly and in a deep REM sleep, so he let me have an extra 15 minutes. Only problem was my ride was booked ahead and it left me no time to shower. Didn't matter in the long run since I was driven straight home.

I also had my first meeting with the nutritionist and since I had time before the appointment I took care of the bloodwork at the hospital lab.

I have my cardioloy clearence appointment booked for May 1. Still need to take care of the psychiatric evaluation and the pcp recommendation. I'll take care of both in April.

Back